A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,127
Currently Running With Scissors:
586 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: printing with bleach?  (Read 1571 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

uproar
« on: September 11, 2006 02:21:27 PM »

I have a shirt that appears to have been printed with bleach...it's a black tank top with a light beige colored print...same color as if you threw bleach on black fabric.

I asked my friend Gwen from Sigh Co. Graphics (she's been helping me learn about screenprinting) about how this is done, and she said there are certain types of ink that will pull the color from fabric, for a bleached out effect.  She said she hasn't used any of these though.

I'm contemplating experimenting with bleach mixtures to see if I could figure out how to do this.  Or maybe I should just suck it up and find some of that special ink to buy?

Has anyone ever tried this before?  Printing with bleach solutions?  Will it do anything to the screen or the screen filler if I try to spray a bleach mixture through it?  I don't mind sacrificing an old tshirt or two to try this out, but I'd rather not ruin a screen if possible.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

free_loader
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006 04:48:42 PM »

i did just that the other day with the gel-ed bleach in those bleach pens

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=118713.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged
uproar
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006 10:28:33 AM »

It looks like your test run turned out well for you.  I haven't actually used any of the bleach pens before, so I guess I'll have to pick some up to test them out.

How did your screen handle the bleach?  Any problems?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

efitch
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006 10:31:51 AM »

Just a warning - when bleach comes into contact with metal, it's pretty corrosive! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
free_loader
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2006 03:53:39 PM »

It looks like your test run turned out well for you.  I haven't actually used any of the bleach pens before, so I guess I'll have to pick some up to test them out.

How did your screen handle the bleach?  Any problems?

No issues with the screen at all ... i've done 3 or 4 prints .. and somewhere in the middle fo that i got sidetracked by the kids and forgot about the screen . and the bleach sat on there for 2 or 3 days with no issues ..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RagnazIdnar
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2007 01:33:47 AM »

Did you ever have any luck trying to print with bleach?
I thought this link might also interest you: http://www.stencilrevolution.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18221&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
It is a tutorial on how to use bleach and stencils made out or duralar/transparencies to create designs on black or dark shirts. It also works on jeans/dark denim material. All you need is a design, some plastic transparency sheets, an xacto knife, glue, a spray bottle and bleach.
Hope this helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Proud member of the Eastern Wa Etsy Team!
www.ragnazidnar.etsy.com
gius
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2008 04:10:49 PM »

You can mix a seaweed powder called sodium alginate with the bleach to thicken it, so you can pass it through your screen  Wink We have a store that sells dyes here, so I could buy it there. Maybe there are other products you can use to thicken it... maybe even textile medium?
We also make a solution with "monagum" to immerse the fabric into, so that it stops the bleach from further bleaching (otherwise it will continue to bleach and also eat away at the fabric).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
DMQT #18 - Mac OS X Leopard - Unified Help System
DMQT #19 - Adobe Lightroom - Survey Mode
DMQT #20 - Final Cut Pro - Applying Filters ...
DMQT #21 - Final Cut Pro - 4 Ways To Search / ...
DMQT #22 - Photoshop CS3 - Creating A ...
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...