A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,548
Currently Running With Scissors:
765 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: a general first-sweater knitalong?  (Read 25452 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Zero Cool
"The two patterns, art and craft, were welded together."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #250 on: April 17, 2007 01:28:06 AM »

Everything is going really well for me so far I am surprised that it is nowhere near as hard as I imagined to knit a jumper. Then again I picked a pretty basic pattern so that helps!

I've finished the front and back pieces and seamed them together, but now I have reached the first (and hopefully only) tricky part - intarsia! The only 'colour work' I've done before is knitting horizontal stripes and I have come grinding to a halt. The graph pattern is easy to follow but I don't think I am carrying the yarn along properly. When I switch colour to knit with the CC, the MC is kinda left behind and then when I want to switch back to the MC again it makes a weird loose, dangly line behind the stitches I've made with the CC. Sorry about the bad description but I have no camera USB cable at the moment.

Can anyone shed a little light, or point me towards some picture or video guides on how to work intarsia. I knit English so I am holding both strands of yarn in my right hand, is this where I am going wrong? Thanks in advance for any hints!

How is everyone else getting along with their WIPs? That lacy one from a few pages back is gorgeous Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Zero Cool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #251 on: April 25, 2007 05:23:29 AM »

Here's a pic of my progress, but it's a couple of weeks old so it looks a lot different now!

I've finished the front and back and seamed it together, also added the collar. Only got the arms left to do.

The colour of the yarn is really pretty, if you glance at it quickly it just looks grey but if you catch it in the light it has yellow and purpley-blue tones as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kmsmaverick
« Reply #252 on: April 25, 2007 09:07:27 AM »

zero Cool, is that an online pattern? where did you find it? i like the very plain edge along the bottom, with straight stockinette for the rest- i would like to perhaps use the pattern for a summer yarn sweater
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007 12:40:07 PM by kmsmaverick » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jemjerika
« Reply #253 on: April 25, 2007 12:30:05 PM »

You know, I hadn't even thought about the itch factor - my blanket doesn't bug me at all. I wet blocked all my squares and that softens them up a lot. Also, it's such a winter blanket, right - I mean, it's heavy. You're not likely to curl up in it without jeans and a sweater on. But if you are sensitive to itchy wool, it might be worth lining - but yeah - hasn't bothered me once.

: )

S.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.oneandonlycrafts.etsy.com - One&Only Yarns on Etsy
Zero Cool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #254 on: April 26, 2007 12:41:10 AM »

kmsmaverick, it's the Skully sweater from the first Stitch n Bitch book. If you don't want to go out and buy it your local library might have it. The pattern is totally straightforward though I expect you could probably imitate it just by looking at the pics.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Amethyst
« Reply #255 on: April 26, 2007 04:02:21 AM »

The yarn looks really nice, zero. Smiley

When I do colourwork, I keep the balls beside me, or on my lap, and keep moving one over the other so the yarns don't twist. Like if I have A and B and I just used A, I"ll pass it over B, use B, use A, pass A over B, etc. It does leave a little loose yarn, but that's okay usually. I could be wrong, though.

Isn't there something about it in the SnB book that you have?

My sweater is going fine, more or less. I've done the two front panels and back, and seamed them together. I did the lower sash part (it's knitty's Kyoto, modified), but hated how it looked with the darker yarn. So I bought more of the lighter, and started making it again. Unfortunately I was working on it while distracted and didn't know until I had 2 inches in the round that I had twisted the join, so I had to rip it out last night and start over. So I just have the sash, the collar/trim, and the sleeves to do on it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CosmicCarrot
« Reply #256 on: April 26, 2007 06:03:36 PM »

update on my sweater---
the body has been done for a while but i needed some double pointed needles for the sleeves, and they just didn't seem to exist in the right size. so i got discouraged and put down the knitting for like 2 weeks until i realised i could learn how do do magic loop and do it that way.
so i did, and now i'm about 5 inches into the firsst sleeve. i'm going to do elbow-length sleeves instead of full llength because i want to be able to wear it in the summer and it takes less time and yarn Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

there's plastic on the furniture to keep it neat and clean,
in the pine sol-scented air, somewhere that's green...
Rhapsodomancy
« Reply #257 on: April 26, 2007 09:41:36 PM »

I started my first sweater (a pullover, really) almost a week ago.  It's really exciting!  Unfortunately, knitting with size 3 needles is slow going  Angry  Photos soon if I remember...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kitsch, please! (a knitting blog) Updated!

You say 'kitschy' like it's a bad thing.
determinedimprovisation

overly-excited crafter of all trades

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: April 27, 2007 05:09:16 PM »

I started my first sweater (a pullover, really) almost a week ago.  It's really exciting!  Unfortunately, knitting with size 3 needles is slow going  Angry  Photos soon if I remember...

Size 3!  You're an ambitious one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
creepyhugger
« Reply #259 on: April 30, 2007 02:52:57 PM »

omg guys...  i finally finished my first adult sweater!  yeeeeesssssss, i started in october.  but little projects kept popping up!  anyway, i posted this in the completed projects too, so there's more pics over there.  it was for my hubby and it's a modified avast from knitty (with a skull of course!)

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Embellished Totes For Earth Day
Repurposing Cans Into Ribbon Covered Vases
How to Make Recycled Bows
Creating Hanging Votive Candles
How to Make Paper Mache
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...