A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,024
Currently Running With Scissors:
529 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fricke Spinning Wheel?  (Read 5436 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

magnoliacoffee
« on: September 11, 2006 08:25:46 AM »

I'm in the market for a new wheel, preferably something that folds and/or is significantly more portable than my current Ashford Traditional.  Aside from that, my two other deciding factors will be:

1) Cost.  (I doubt I can convince someone to offer me the gift of a lovely new wheel, and the non-profit salary doesn't allow for much disposable income.  I'm thinking something in the $250--$400 range.)

2) Bigger bobbins than my Ashford.  Her petite little bobbins are cute, but coming up with short skein after short skein is starting to get annoying.

I discovered the Fricke wheels this morning, and I was wondering if:
1) Anybody has one?
2) Anybody has ever used one?  (At a fair, festival, shop, or otherwise)
3) Anybody might be able to recommend something else that fits my criteria that might be a better fit for my preferences.

Thanks for the help, everybody!

For reference: A link to the fricke website--http://www.fricke-fiber-tools.com/spinningitems.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
atla

I play with string

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006 10:58:38 AM »

I'm in the market for a new wheel too.  I've got a Babe production wheel and it drives me bonkers.  I'm stuck in about the same price range as you, so I know what you're going through.  I can't seem to find information on the ratios of the Fricke wheels, though.  I think I may have decided on a Kromski Symphony.  It's $400 unfinished, but doesn't seem to be terribly portable.  It's got the most important thing I want, though.. a good high ratio, 20:1, but also has the ability to do medium weight yarns with an 8:1 ratio.

Have you looked at the Kromski Prelude?  It's $289 unfinished, weighs only 9 lbs, has 4 oz. bobbins, is supposedly easy to transport because "you can swivel the mother-of-all in line with the bench for a more compact "package" when moving the wheel or for storage."

Check it out here.  Just scroll down instead of clicking prelude, because that redirection thingy doesn't work.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bixby2
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006 11:26:49 AM »

I have been saving for a Majacraft Little Gem.  I know it is a little out of your price range, but in terms of portability and compactness I couldn't find anything better.  I live in a SMALL appartment with my husband and two small children, so a big bulky wheel was out of the question.  I needed something that would tuck away out of the reach of small sticky fingers.  I am borrowing a Gem right now to get the feel of it before I buy it and it spins like a dream.  And it folds flat and comes with a bag to carry it in.  It is currently comfortably tucked, completely unfolded and set up, in a 14" space between my couch and a bookshelf.  So worth the extra money!

Check it out here
http://www.woolery.com/Pages/majacraftfr.html#gem
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out the Electric Sheep Fibers!  http://amysbabies.etsy.com

My Blog
http://amysbabies.wordpress.com/
magnoliacoffee
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006 11:57:08 AM »

You guys are so fabulous.  Thanks for the recommendations.  I have a feeling I'll be in the "information gathering" portion of this process for a while.

As for the ratios for the Fricke: Drive ratios are 5.7:1, 6.8:1, 8.7:1, 12:1, and 19.4:1

It almost seems too good to be true...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheBon

We are without leeches or wenches.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2006 01:51:29 PM »

I personally feel that the symphony is too large to transport quickly and easily even though I think they're great wheels. I don't own one, I own a prelude. I'm not sure I would call it super transportable. Yes, the wheel is light [I move mine with one hand all the time] and it can be buckled into the back seat of a car, but it wouldn't be easy to carry through a crowded street.

the spunky eclectic sells louet's at a reasonable rate. There's also the lendrum which the woolery is currently selling with free shipping and a free carrying bag for $350 for a single treadle wheel. http://www.woolery.com/Pages/lendrumfr.html I haven't used one but I know people who do and love them. Plus, the folding and the carrybag do make them super super easy to transport, one woman I know has taken hers around via mass transport on more than one occasion with relative ease.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graphic designer, illustrator, all around nerd.

my wists!
I take pictures everywhere!
rockandrollgranny
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2006 06:20:58 PM »

I have a Lendrum ST, and I really like it.  It does transport easily, especially if you get the carrying bag.  It's my first wheel, and I can't really imagine ever needing another one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
magnoliacoffee
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2006 10:16:27 AM »

Rockandrollgranny, that feeling of "never needing another one" is definitely what I'm after. 

I prefer a single treadle, so I'll definitely heed the recommendations to check out the Lendrum.  (Thanks for the link, TheBon.  That really does seem like a great deal.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lloer

Spinning 'til I'm dizzy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2006 03:52:57 AM »

I love my Lendrum DT and again, can't imagine needing another wheel. (Wanting maybe, but that's different.

I've bought the jumbo plying head and the fast flyer for mine and they're both great. There's also a very fast flyer available but I don't think I'll need that for a while. I also love the contemporary look of the Lendrum.

Emma
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My personal blog - www.lloeren.com

My Knitting Book Review blog - http://lloeren.typepad.com/knitbooks/

Free The West Memphis Three - www.wm3.org
adinkracom
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2006 07:20:07 AM »

I'm interested in  Fricke too. Did you find out any other information?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rubysdaughter

My wheel is a Fricke 160DT.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2006 01:37:39 PM »

Hi Everyone,  I have a  new Fricke S160DT and a Babe Fiber Starter.  I posted about my new wheel (see it here on the left?) on my blog here   http://rubysdaughter.blogspot.com/2006/09/my-big-birthday.html  So far my love affair with this wheel continues.  I'm spinning faster, more consistent yarns of different weights.  It's light weight so I can move it around the house wherever I want.  I did not get the Woolee Winder add-on (an extra $200+) but I don't miss it.  It has a delta orafice so I can spin super bulky yarns with ease.  Also, the Fricke's are really nice people who stand behind their product.  It's nice to buy from a small business.  Let me know if you have any other questions.
Sarah -
Ruby's Daughter
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Robert Englund Reveals The Question He Gets Most from Fans
Nic Sheff Talks About Tweak
Suzy Welch Reveals Her Motto
An Interview with Jennifer Weiner
Erick Setiawan Talks About Of Bees and Mist
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Patriotic Planter
Summertime Sweetness: Fruit Salsa & Cinnamon Chips
Fire Up the Grill: Jerk Steak

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...