A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 300,947
Currently Running With Scissors:
408 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Got a lot of spare time at school... need a project.  (Read 889 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

viks
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2006 07:43:24 AM »

hiya, what about making cards, writing letters or little projects to send to sick kids at www.postpals.co.uk (most have cancer or are going through transplant) would keep you busy and make their day too Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A letter card, or even a gift
Can give a poorly child's face
A much needed lift!

http://www.postpals.co.uk
godels_truth

"Man, You way too happy to sing the Blues."

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2006 08:32:56 AM »

Let me play the part of your school counselor, since this person obviously isn't doing their job.

I'm going to pray that you don't have all that free time because you are not taking math this year.  Years of high school math are the number one predictor of graduating from college.  That is: students who only take algebra in high school graduate from college at very low rates, 50-60% I think.  Students who take calculus in high school graduate from college at (I believe) more than 90%. 

Ok, now that I'm off that soap-box, here's something else you may want to consider.  Volunteer activities are the first thing after grades that college admissions and scholarship committees look at.  If you were to use this huge block of time to craft for some charity or another, that would be awesome. 
First of all, with that much time, you could really do some good; and you get the extra perk of putting it on your applications.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
clockworkclover
But, why is the rum gone?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2006 09:09:14 AM »

if you have any nice animal shelters near you, they love hand knit blankets for the animals. I know you said you didn't want to knit, but it's really easy to do and cheap when you buy red heart or the equivilant.
 I also agree with godels_truth... why are you only taking 2 classes?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life has taught us that love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking together in the same direction. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Schnoogles
Shazberry Schnoogles

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2006 03:01:18 PM »

At my high school we need 28 credits to graduate, and at the end of grade eleven, I already had 27.5. So I'm not struggling to get enough credits to graduate.

So this year I'm taking band and jazz band (because I'm taking music in university) digital photography, comprehensive english, literary focus, and math. Because someone new arranged everyone's schedules this year (and she really has no idea how to do it), she gave me only two of those classes in my first semester, and I have to take literary focus through independent study.

As for volunteer activities, last year I did a volunteer credit helping the band director during my spares. I'm doing the same thing for as many spares as I can this year, but for no credit and unfortunately, he can only handle me for three classes a day! Lol.

So don't you worry, your fellow craftster isn't flunking school!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dom: "This guy was a nightmare to work with, the Balrog. He had a huge trailer, never came out, never bought a round when we went to the bar, do you remember?"

Billy: "Very rude."
McJulie-O
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2006 06:24:46 PM »

I like the idea of charity crafting, whether for your local animal shelter or for a homeless or children's shelter.....and it would look excellent on your resume (which sounds like it might need to show some compensation for your small course load  Tongue)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AliBeachGrl
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2006 08:10:04 PM »

Have you thought about embroidery at all?

Sublime Stitches has some really cool designs you can put on whatever & it wouldn't take that many supplies.  You could to the design transfer before hand at home. 

http://www.sublimestitching.com/

I did I free hand tree on a cuff bracelet & it was kinda zen like...adult version of coloring as far as I'm concerned.  Might be worth a try.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There are no rules of architecture for a castle in the clouds.
~Gilbert K. Chesterton
godels_truth

"Man, You way too happy to sing the Blues."

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2006 08:12:17 PM »

So don't you worry, your fellow craftster isn't flunking school!

Glad to hear that.  Though I wasn't so much concerned about flunking as a regular ol' case of senioritis.  Lot of people don't take math their senior year, cause they have enough credits and, like barbie says, math is hard.  Then they forget everything they learned and have to take remedial classes in college. 

Very glad indeed to hear you're not headed in that direction. 

Oh yeah, I know you nixed knitting, but have you considered crochet?  I find it a LOT easier, and you don't have to worry about that whole dropped stitch thing. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Special 1000 Subscribers Video - 52nd Drawing
How to Draw Spider-Pig - 27th Drawing
The special 50th drawing video!
How to Draw Scratchy - 34th Drawing
How to Draw The Devil - 40th Drawing
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...