A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,066
Currently Running With Scissors:
689 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: coat from legend of the seeker  (Read 37907 times)
Tags for this thread: coat  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fellsofagirl
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2010 09:32:53 AM »

Hi!

I <3 this show and am about to make some costumes inspired by it. 

I would recommend checking your local fabric shop for patterns with a similar neckline, as this is the most important feature.  You may need to reconcile a few patterns together to REALLY get the look... or modify one pattern to get it.

The closest I have found to the look of the upper half of the coat is a Vogue Pattern: 8429.  http://voguepatterns.mccall.com/v8429-products-8004.php?page_id=262

With a few modifications to the jacket, you'll have the coat you want.  You'll want to lengthen it, and fit it closer to your body and your arms.  The other option would be to add this collar to a basic button front shirt pattern that you've lengthened.  The fabric choices will also direct the flow and fit: I'd use a linen or linen look fabric, suede for the triangular trim, and then a rolled suede or linen edging.  Grommets up center front from waist up in lieu of button, and trim down the arms (or laces, if you wish) will get you this look.   

This same idea can be applied to the white Mother Confessor coat, but make the sleeve 3/4 length and add the remainder in a sheer fabric cut in a long rectangle; just attach to the edge of the sleeve, leaving it open at the top to flow down.

Good luck!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
fellsofagirl
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2010 07:50:23 AM »

I was on a quest to find a pattern that was even remotely close to the collar on Kahlan's jacket; I wanted to make a cape, not a jacket... but the best pattern I found (better than the last one I posted) is from New Look; it's #6916.  I got it at JoAnne's, I think it was $3.99.

It wouldn't be a big deal to take a standard coat pattern and adjust the coat neckline front and back so the collar will attach nicely.  The collar also needs to be extended.  I watched the most recent episode of Legend on Hulu and froze the screen when Kahlan turned her back to the camera; the collar/hood extends to about where her shoulder blades are.  This is a relatively easy adjustment to make, but I would try it with a muslin first and check how the drape feels on your own body to get it just right.

At any rate, the Newlook pattern is a great jumping off point for the smooth finish of the collar/hood.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ravenkat1
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2010 12:13:59 PM »

My son just got me into this series, and I think its great. I found someone who made Kahlans 2 outfits for someone and they are selling them, idk if this helps anyone here, but it was a trial thing for this person, so it can be done. Here are the pages if anyone wants to see how close someone else came to making the outfits correctly.

http://www.jeannienitro.com/wl07.htm

http://www.jeannienitro.com/sdct7.htm

Good luck to all, I think these outfits are great too. Would love to wear these or Anna's or any Legend of the Seeker female outfits to the Renn Faire!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
trendzmania
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2015 10:05:39 AM »

great design i would like to buy that if i can afford it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
I Am Spam: Anthony Eats America Ep. 4 - Deleted Scene
Cherry Pie With Lattice Top Recipe
Wrigley Field Chef Shows How to Make Chicago Chopped Relish
Calorie Counting at the State Fair: Do You Even Want To?
Hot Dog Restaurant Keeps Customers Coming For More Than a Decade
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Quick Summer Dress
Marvelous Matryoshkas
Meatless Monday: Creamy Pasta with Peas

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...