A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,605
Currently Running With Scissors:
606 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: yet another anthropologie question  (Read 1309 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

knitster88
aka christinanne

ch-ch-ch-ch-ch cherry bomb

View Profile
« on: September 10, 2006 09:16:06 AM »

http://www.anthropologie.com/jump.jsp?itemID=12056&itemType=PRODUCT&iSubCat=266&iMainCat=11

I REALLY want this sweater, not 118 dollors worth though. anyone know a similar pattern. it doesnt look hard, i just dont take chances on sweaters....too much yarn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look what youve done to me now, youve made me perfect
erincatherine
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2006 09:36:42 AM »

it looks like a standard cardigan, but the side pieces are one or two sizes larger so it wraps.  what about knittys starsky, but just adjust the math for your gauge and only knit in rib?  the collar is just formed from knitting the front up and up and up until it is the length that you want....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my etsy shop! Zeitgeist Yarns: www.zeitgeistyarns. etsy.com

and my brand new blog: www.zeitgeistyarns. blogspot.com
knitster88
aka christinanne

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2006 09:47:40 AM »

I was looking at that one... heck if im doing those cables though. how does going from cables to rib affect size?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shellim4
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2006 09:49:31 AM »

If you look closely, this looks like 3 pieces (not including the sleeves or belt). It looks like the back is a big rectangle and the front are 2 more rectangles. If you zoom in you can see the seams on the collar. I think the sleeves are actually rectangles as well. What does everyone else think?
Shelli
« Last Edit: September 10, 2006 01:51:58 PM by shellim4 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2006 09:56:41 AM »

2x2 rib with dropped shoulders and long sleeves and a big collar... that's easy.  The difference between it and Starsky, besides the pattern, is really just that the collar on Starsky is knit like a button band, sideways of the pattern.  But this would be pretty easy to make a pattern for yourself if you didn't want to mess with adjusting an existing one. 

Do your swatch in 2x2 rib, but you'll have to make allowances for the give that ribbing has.  (In other words, don't just measure your swatch and cast on the number you'd need to get the masurement you want.  You'll want to make it a little smaller than that, depending on what bulk of thing you'll plan on wearing it over...  I'll just leave this up to you. Smiley )

Measure yourself around and make the back panel a large rectangle that is half as wide as you are around, and the length from your shoulders to however long you want it.  Bind off at the shoulders a little more than 1/4 of your stitches on either side (but less than 1/3), and put the middle stitches on a holder.

Make your two front panels each about 2/3 of what you made the back (so they can fold over each other) and knit them the same length as your back piece.  Bind off the same number of stitches as you did on one side of your back, on each of one side of your front pieces (does that make sense?) and put the lives stitches on holders.  Seam up the shoulders and then put all your live stitches on one needle (you'll need a circ, I'm sure, to get the length) and knit all the stitches from edge to edge until you've got your collar the length you want it in back.

Figure how big around you want the arms, and cast on that many stitches, knit for maybe 2" longer than the distance from your wrist to your armpit, longer if you want bigger cuffs.  Of course, do that twice.  Sew the sleeves to the body and seam from cuff to waist on both sides.  (Or, start at the armpit and seam down to cuff, and again down to waist.  I am not really sure which is the recommended method, but each has their merits.) 

Make your beltloops and sew one at each side seam, and then make your belt with the same 2x2 ribbing as your garment.  You're done.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2006 10:07:05 AM by Lothruin » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
knitster88
aka christinanne

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2006 10:47:25 AM »

Lothruin:

I can definitly do that...thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lothruin

I eat seakittens.

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2006 12:03:15 PM »

Sure thing.  What'er ya gonna make it in? 

Incidentally, there is a seam in their collar, but I have no earthly idea why.  Except, of course, I guess their pieces were machine knit, probably.  But for the hand-knit version, there's no reason to have to sew a seam in that collar, it can just be knit all pretty-like in one go.  You will, however, have to figure out how to make both the ribs in the shoulder seams match up AND make the ribbing in the collar continuous...  In other words, when you sew the shoulders, you'll wind up with two knit stitches (or whatever) sewn together, and then your live stitches, so your collar will, at that point, have a place where it will go kk, pp, kk, pp, pp, kk, pp... the easiest way to fix this will probably be to pick up a couple of stitches at the shoulder seam to stick in between the two pp dips so that your ribbing is all pretty-like.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shellim4
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2006 02:04:35 PM »

I'm not sure if this would help but there is a downloadable, although not free, pattern at the Lion brand website for a cardigan that may work or that you could change a little. It's not done in ribbing but maybe you could change it to ribbing and make the collar bigger.
Here's the link. 
http://pages.e-yarn.com/6030/PictPage/1922240064.html

I'd like to try this myself but I'm not sure I could figure it out without specific pattern instructions. I'm not very experienced.  Sad
Shelli
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knitster88
aka christinanne

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2006 06:18:20 PM »

Lothruin:
Do i need to do any armhole shaping? thanks so much for your help, this is my first time doing a sweater with out a pattern.

oh, and im thinking Malabrigio for yarn. Nice merino, reasonably priced, and since i just got a job at a yarn sotre that carries it.......even more reasonably priced.

aaand i made this handy diagram to how i think i need to do this...tell me if this is right.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2011 05:01:51 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lothruin

I eat seakittens.

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2006 07:52:09 PM »

Yep.  That's it.  No, no armhole shaping.  It's a dropped shoulder, so it's just big rectangles.  Even the sleeves are big rectangles (or you could knit them in the round) since it's done in ribbing.  If you make it big enough around the arm at the widest point, the ribbing will contract at the wrist to appear narrower there.

(And I know your drawing isn't to scale or anything, but just because the picture looks this way, I'll be sure that I was clear before... the number bound-off stitches at the shoulder edges of both the back piece and the two front pieces should be the same... in your drawing it looks like the live stitches of the front pieces are the same as the bound-off stitches on th back, and like I said, I know it's not to scale or anything, but I'm not always as clear as I could be, I think.)

Oh, and the Malabrigo will be lovely!  There are even a few colors that would be similar to the Anthropologie original.  Although, for this season I'd probably choose something like the "water green" or possibly the new "red mahogany".

And...heehee... I've never done a sweater with a pattern yet.  Except the one baby sweater I made as my third knitted project.  It's fun to strike off into the unknown, all on your own.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2006 07:55:52 PM by Lothruin » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get a Casting Tape for Reality Competition Show
How to Create a Casting Tape for Reality Performance Show
Long Story Short with Darin Brooks
How to Arrange Scenes in a Film Script
How to Ask for Feedback on Your Script
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...