A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,549
Currently Running With Scissors:
724 Guests and 41 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Double knitting in the round  (Read 259 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ultraviolet
« on: September 08, 2006 04:30:41 PM »

I'm interested in possibly making this hat:
http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall02/PATTdkhat.html
though all in one color (well, variegated, but I'm ignoring the chart). The instructions seem very...incomplete and vague. Like, it says to cast on however many stitches and then work chart and "Continue knitting *k1 MC, p1 CC* until the hat measures 9 [10] inches long."
It also says "Remember that any time you knit in your main color, you'll purl in your contrasting color."

Now, I've made a total of one thing that involved double knitting, and the way it was done was that you knit a stitch then slip a stitch and alternate like that. Then when you do the next row you are knitting the stitches you slipped before and slipping the stitches you knit before. But these instructions say NOTHING about slipping anything, they mostly seem concerned with the fact that you are using two separate colors. Is the purling in the opposite color the stitches that are on the other side? But if so, how are they kept separate?  Huh

Also, I don't understand how double knitting would work in the round. None of my knitting books mention double knitting at all - is it that obscure? Or maybe called something else? I checked Vogue Knitting, How to Knit by Debbie Bliss, The Big Book of Knitting by Katharina Buss, and Knitting Without Tears by Maggie Righetti. Is there some all-important knitting book that I have missed that would have this information? Or could someone refer me to a different pattern for a double knit hat that is may more informative?

I'd be forever grateful for some help!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://blog.threegoodrats.com

"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."
Quincy134
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006 08:02:31 PM »

I made this hat, and I agree that the instructions were wierd first off. 

You are right, the purling part is the other side, worked in the other color.  The way the two sides are kept separate is that you have to keep moving your working yarn back and forth between the needles.  If your are knitting, the two strands (one of each color) should be at the back of your work.  Reverse this if your are purling.  That doesn't sound right, but if you try it, you will see it.  In effect, your are making two stockinette panels that are held with their purl sides together.  When you knit, you are working on the front panel.  When you purl, you are working on the back panel. 

The slip stitch technique is a similar way to get multiple colors in one row, but it's not exactly the same. 

Since you're going to drop the chart, you will basically end up with two layers of knitting, one on top of the other.  It will be like a two-layer hat. 

Hope that helps!  Good luck

My version:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/quincy134/hatandgloves.jpg
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ultraviolet
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2006 05:09:41 AM »

Ooookay. I was hung up on the "two strands" as being the two different colors, but now I understand that I will STILL be using two strands, one for the front and one for the back. Thank you! Is the hat stockinette? It's not really clear - the only mention the pattern makes is in regard to color.

Yours looks great! Thanks so much for the explanation Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."
Quincy134
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2006 05:25:38 AM »

Yes, the hat ends up being stockingnet.  You will have the two layers, both in stockingnet, with the knit stitch side facing outwards. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ultraviolet
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2006 07:52:40 AM »

Thank you so much! It's much more clear now  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Chest of Drawers from Recyclable Materials (with subtitles)
How to Make a Chest of Drawers from Recyclable Materials
Simple Balloon Clover Tutorial
How to Arrange a Tulip Bowl Centerpiece
How to Make a Capelet from an Old Sweater
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...