A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,095
Currently Running With Scissors:
709 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Beginning the Big Bad Baby Blanket  (Read 9082 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cdngreenie
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2007 12:10:29 AM »

if you're impatient... you could always do what I'm doing with it...

knit a same-size blanket with much larger yarn and needles.  I've got 84 stitches instead of the pattern suggested 130-something, and it's about the same dimensions... thus far.

the only challenge I've had so far is making sure the math works out, and you'd think that'd be easy... it IS simple math, after all... but noooo... someone can't do simple addition!  Roll Eyes Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cdngreenie
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2007 08:40:47 PM »

hey,

so I'm having the weirdest of problems with this blanket.  My seed st border is coming out great, and each half of the pattern is fine, but where the patterns are joining (switching from K to P), I have the loosest stitches ever.  And I don't know why.  I'm actually consciously pulling it tight before and after the stitch switchover to compensate for this and nothing's changing, it's super loose.  I know it'll sort itself out (or, I'm HOPING it will) but if anyone has suggestions, please let me know!  This has never happened to me before.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KrisCreates

Keep on rockin' in the craft world!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2007 04:28:52 PM »

I also found those stitches were quite loose while i was knitting (Despite sometimes the yarn being nearly too tight to knit, I'm a tight knitter...)  but when I got the blanket finished you couldn't notice it at all.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nymeria
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Captain of the S.S. Kill Beast Buffet

I do not like the cone of shame.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2007 02:06:38 PM »

but where the patterns are joining (switching from K to P), I have the loosest stitches ever.  And I don't know why.  I'm actually consciously pulling it tight before and after the stitch switchover to compensate for this and nothing's changing, it's super loose. 

It'll sort itself out in the end, trust me. I have the same problem while I'm knitting, but as you get further along (I'm at about 8" now), look at the first pattern rows (after the border) and you'll notice they look fine. Once it's done you'll not be able to tell at all, I promise.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For all things Black Library and WH 40k, check out my Examiner page!

Nerd girls of the world, unite!
cdngreenie
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2007 08:10:55 AM »

hey thanks you two.

It's definitely still loose, but I can see what you mean about the whole thing straightening itself out.

... slowly but surely.  if only the baby wasn't due this week, and I had more time to knit!  thankfully showers don't usually happen until a little while afterwards!   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dalilah
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2007 12:57:55 PM »

I've knit this one before and I own two of these blankets that were knit for my girls by my sister.

A few things to add to the whole BBBB discussion from my end...

Guage really doesn't matter as much. My sis knit the first one for my daughter and it was a little more rectangular rather than square. No biggie. Daughter still loves it.

Also, if you have the option, go with a nice cotton yarn. It washes well (after so much spit-up, I was glad it wasn't wool!). I'd love to have an heirloom wool blanket in hand-dyed veggie colors, but really ...it's a baby blanket, so it meant more to me that I could wash it in the delicate cycle in the washer and toss it in the dryer for a bit and it was clean. Held up great too, btw. A tribute to my sister's super-knitting-girl skills!

Just thought I'd add. Hope it helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nymeria
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Captain of the S.S. Kill Beast Buffet

I do not like the cone of shame.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2007 06:19:50 PM »

Also, if you have the option, go with a nice cotton yarn. It washes well (after so much spit-up, I was glad it wasn't wool!). I'd love to have an heirloom wool blanket in hand-dyed veggie colors, but really ...it's a baby blanket, so it meant more to me that I could wash it in the delicate cycle in the washer and toss it in the dryer for a bit and it was clean.

QFT. I made one using LionBrand Cotton Ease (part cotton, part acrylic) and it washed beautifully. A friend of mine made one in wool and she never uses it because she'd be unable to wash it. I'm of the "If I can't use it, I don't want it" frame of mind, especially when it comes to babies!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For all things Black Library and WH 40k, check out my Examiner page!

Nerd girls of the world, unite!
cdngreenie
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2007 12:35:19 PM »

it's been done for a while now... even washed and blocked... but I haven't posted a picture until now... so here you go:

those knit stitches at the edge, moving into purl (ONLY in that direction, I don't get it) are still a little big, but it's not something I'm THAT annoyed with... I'm just going to have to improve on it...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Meggs

Laugh Everyday.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2008 09:39:43 AM »

Your blankets are all beautiful.  I am starting on one right now in a nice soft yellow.  My DH caught me snuggling with it instead of knitting it last night LOL.  I'll post a pic when it is finished.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jewelaroni
I'm a PInja RoBoy!

The owls are not what they seem.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2008 09:18:19 AM »

Just a little something to add about the question of knitting with two strands (which I don't think was mentioned, but I could have missed it.
To avoid using two balls at the same time, I ball them up together, so it's on ball with two strands. Mind you, this is a lot more manageable if you've got a ball winder.

(p.s. the knit picks one isn't that great, as the center thing that holds the ball while you're winding it keeps popping out.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Grapenuts, Carl."

I'm taking a break from swaps. :'(

Go hang a salami, I'm a lasagna hog.
I <3 Dale Cooper.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Knit Keepsake Bags with a Loom Part 5/5
How to Knit Keepsake Bags with a Loom Part 4/5
How to Knit Keepsake Bags with a Loom Part 3/5
How to Knit Homemade Socks with a Loom Part 9/30
How to Knit Keepsake Bags with a Loom Part 2/5
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...