A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,050
Currently Running With Scissors:
870 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: therapy suggestions for tired knitting hands?  (Read 867 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

gloriana
« on: August 25, 2004 03:26:37 PM »

Just wondrin if any of y'all have suggestions for stretching or massage exercises you can do to relieve hand aches from too much knitting.  I knit so much that sometimes my hands hurt a little - and my wrists too - and I'm afraid I'm going to give myself carpal tunnel syndrome and then I won't be able to knit anymore!  But I can't seem to stop knitting so much...  any thoughts?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my knitblog - A Mingled Yarn
http://amingledyarn.wordpress.com
skwirel

the best thing is to love and be loved in return

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2004 09:42:29 AM »

in weekend knitting they actually have a few massages that you can give yourself.

cradle one hand in the other. using the thunb of the hand that is doing the cradling, begin to make small circular motions at the base of the thumb (the fat pad area) and into the web between the thumb and index finger. work across the base of the finger pads, then toward the wrist down along the pinky-finger side of the hand. repeat a few times on both hands.

using knuckles, massage the opposing hand up and down from the palm, into the wrist area, up to your elbow. massage each hand and arm once.

this is just a couple, do a search on yahoo, i bet you can find more.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yes i'm serious. but don't call me shirley.

http://pearlknitpurl.blogspot.com/
ravelry user name: skwirel
catherine625
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2004 10:09:04 AM »

My brothers computer has this annoying thing that pops up that gives you tips on stretching so you don't get carpal tunnel or repetitive stress or bad posture... anyway, the one for carpal tunnel says to stretch you hands palms out and with one hand gently pull the other back, (so pulling your hand the wrong way, I hope that makes sense).  You can also do circles with your hands.  My right wrist gets really sore when I'm knitting.  I think this is silly beacuse I haven't even been knitting that long!!  But I just stop and give my wrists and hands a good stretch and it seems to help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Adults are just obsolete children, and to hell with them."
                -Theodor Seuss Geisel (Dr. Seuss)
gloriana
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2004 02:50:35 PM »

thanks for the suggestions!  I have also come across this article in Knitty:
http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEspring03/FEATarthritis.html

there is also a discussion thread about this here:
http://www.knittersreview.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20539

It kind of helps to know that I'm not alone.  I haven't knit anything for over a week now because I've been having wrist problems.  It's very, very hard for me not to knit, but I want to get better.  Some things I've also been doing (just in case anyone out there is having similar problems):  I've been taking glucosamine sulfate, which helps promote joint health, and vitamin B6 (which helps carpal tunnel).  I learned about both of them through Andrew Weil's "Natural Health, Natural Medicine."  I've been trying to stretch out my hands each day and have been wearing a splint on my wrist at night.  I'm hoping it gets better soon... I miss knitting a LOT.  Sad
« Last Edit: September 13, 2004 04:01:29 PM by gloriana » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my knitblog - A Mingled Yarn
http://amingledyarn.wordpress.com
Laney

You could be as hated as me if you only tried.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2004 06:56:59 PM »

I know the feeling. I'm a writer, and since I don't have a computer in my apartment, I have to hand write a lot until I get my keester to the library. I've experienced many a sore hand.

I'd recommend soaking them in a bowl of warm water with some soothing mineral bath oil. Think of it as a mini relaxing bath for your hands. Or.. try this: curl both your hands into a fist and squeeze as hard as you can -- watch out for long nails!!-- and then stretch them out, spreading your fingers as wide as you can. I don't know why it works, but it does.

I think that's it. Usually I just wait a few minutes and read or something and then go right back at it.  Tongue

Good luck!

Laney
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There are people who have money
and there are people who are rich.
--Coco Chanel
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn about The Art of Music
Learn about the Orchestra
Learn about Theater
Learn about Motion Picture Animation
Drawing Rosettes Part 1
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...