A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,458
Currently Running With Scissors:
675 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What type of fabric is in this picture?  (Read 1057 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SentinelFluffy

Two-Ton Killing Machine... with a pretty bow.

View Profile WWW
« on: August 25, 2004 02:32:09 PM »

http://dollmaker.hp.infoseek.co.jp/kimono/face.html

I'm trying to find that fabric that forms the "skin" of the doll's face over a cotton body form. It's written on the page as "cotton jersey" but I couldn't find any of that in local fabric stores.

Cotton Lyrca and interlocking knit have been suggested, but they don't seem to be thin enough when I can find them to just make a skin, and using nylon is too thin. (the stitching of the body form shows through)

I put this in clothing because I don't think there's a general "sewing" section, but if I'm wrong, I'm sorry... I also didn't put it in doll making because I thought people with clothing making experience might possibly have a wider range of knowledge of fabric types, but I could be wrong about that. If a mod feels otherwise, feel free to move it, I won't cry.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2004 02:35:37 PM by SentinelFluffy » THIS ROCKS   Logged
freisss
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2004 02:37:02 PM »

It looks like a sock to me!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gonebuggy
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2004 02:51:13 PM »

Isn't that what t-shirts are made of?  If you can't find the fabric, maybe you could just use a t.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SentinelFluffy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2004 02:55:45 PM »

It's very hard to find a skin-colored T-shirt or I would have... *sigh* I wish more fabric webpages allowed shopping my color, since I usually know what color I need more than what texture or grain.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
meexie
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2004 03:16:25 PM »

I have dyed thin t-shirts (I think they were undershirts) with strong black tea to get a sort of creamy light brown.  Just brew a strong batch of tea in a pot and add the t-shirt.  A weaker brew (say 1 Lipton's tea bag to 4 cups of boiling water) could give more of a Caucasian skin tone.  You can use coffee, too.  I read somewhere that Kool-Aid mixed with salt will dye cotton, so you could try Pink Lemonade for a very pale pink skin...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
butterflymary
The Dominatrix of Craft

I Bitch, Therefore I Stitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2004 06:40:01 AM »

Looks like a thin jersey knit. Probably cotton with a little lycra or poly for stretch. Are you looking for something to expiriment with? I can send you a few samples of things from my fabric shop to see if any work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Now get craftin'!
SentinelFluffy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2004 01:31:55 PM »

Thanks, but I believe that the cotton T-shirt I have is going to actually work... I will post an update if it doesn't.

meexie is my hero, because the tea dyed the fabric to the perfect skin tone, even if it turns out to be the wrong material for the project. ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CC
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2004 09:04:56 PM »

search "waldorf doll making supplies" and you will find a few places on-line that sell really nice 100% cotton fabric for making doll "skin" in many skin tones. If you are planning on sewing on any features I wouldn't use regular jersey knit (like t shirt material) because they are not tightly woven enough, you will end up with holes by your sewn features and a lumpy looking face. I buy mine at Little Joys, here is a link to her skin tone page http://www.joyswaldorfdolls.com/supplies/skin.htm Smiley

B
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
CLAP 2 SEPTEMBRE
German Shepherd/Chow Chow Filmed in High Definition
How to Make a Smooth Rock Music Video
How to Make a Stop-Motion Animation Brick Film
How to Make an Infomercial
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...