A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,114
Currently Running With Scissors:
522 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dorm lighting!  (Read 2081 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

slowgraffiti
« on: August 25, 2004 02:16:41 PM »

Hi! I've been lurking for a few days and now I need your crafty genius to help light my dorm room! I learned last year that overhead hallogen lights aren't very flattering or easy on the eyes and I'd like to have a more ambient light for when I'm not studying.  I have a bunch of strings of old Christmas lights that are begging to be made into something, but any ideas would be great! More bonus points if it hangs on a wall, because my room has the square footage of a postage stamp. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
IceCreamCone
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2004 07:08:31 PM »

Depends on what type of light you want (bright like the halogen), or more of a mood setting.

If the huge halogen light bothers you, you can always put colored tissue paper over it, so it doesn't shine such an insanely bright white!  Then you can add more lamps and lights through out the room.

You can always find cheap lamps at thrift stores, which you can paint, decorate, to match your room.

I have seen the lights that are battery operated (you push them to turn on).  I've seen those in packages of 6 or more in some stores for pretty cheap... maybe you can do something with them?

THIS ROCKS   Logged
thecynthesizer

No llamas, but I've got goats and sheep

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2004 07:52:50 PM »

I highly suggest full spectrum bulbs for whatever lamp situation you get going.  Most lightulbs emit a light that is yellow or synthetic white in color but these emit every color in the rainbow, creating a natural white light that is extremely similar to that of sunlight.  They help ward off depression related to change in season, homesickness, being in small spaces, and working alot, making them absolutely perfect for college.  I'm bringing a gooseneck lamp to school with one of these bulbs, and might end up getting a floor lamp or something with one too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You are not alive yesterday, you are not alive tommorrow, but you're alive at the moment; if you can grab something for that moment...you have a chance." - Johnny X
ph33lth3lov3

*when in doubt go duct*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2004 11:09:40 PM »

if you're already set on the xmas lights, get those little adhesive hooks that stick everywhere forever (unless you can use real nails or hooks that actually attach to the wall, much better!) . Stick them on the wall in a zig zag pattern around your bed area, make it really abstract. If you turn the lights off, it really glows nicely! I have something like that in my room (wrapped around my bed frame) and it is a really cool feeling. Around here are also a few lamps that can be made with clear plastic dixie cups and light strings. Happy schooling!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

let me see your gila
http://www.gilabuttons.com -your one stop button shop
ExileInGuyville
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2004 09:21:51 PM »

Hang xmas lights or tube lights all over the wall and then hang a bedsheet-sized piece of fabric over it. You can tack it on the wall or attach a curtain rood to the wall for it to hang from. It creates a really soft, romantic sort of light. Not good for reading under but good when, say, you're crafting and your roommate wants to sleep!

Or my new favorite thing: paper lanterns. You can use 60 watt bulbs in them, which are the same ones I use in my desk lamp. They are pretty bright. you could hang a few from the ceiling in strategic places, and put them all at different heights! Just make sure hanging stuff from the ceiling isn't against fire code!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Katie
slowgraffiti
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2004 11:55:07 PM »

Oh I totally love the idea of draping a wall with fabric hung over the x-mas lights! I'll definitely try this. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ysolda
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2004 02:11:32 AM »

hanging fabric in front of fairy lights will proabbly and rightly be seen as a fire hazard - fairy lights are a maor cause of fire in student flats - esp. if the lights are old
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitting patterns and all sorts of  crafty adventures: http://ysolda.me.uk
quarkiegirl

Keep it loose, keep it tight.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2004 06:57:57 AM »

we weren't allowed to have any fabric hanging from our walls or ceilings, nor were we supposed to have xmas lights, but my roommates and i had both anyway. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
smarmyclothes
lex fiend

i can get you a toe by 3 o'clock this afternoon...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2004 11:16:59 AM »

2 years ago my friend and i shared a dorm room and that summer i collected numerous strands of xmas lights at department stores sales and at garage sales.  we bought the tiny kind of those 3m sticky hooks, put them all over the ceiling, and then wove the lights all over the cieling.  it was really cool, everyone that walked by when we had our door open stopped and told us how good it looked.  it was bright enough that we didn't need to use the yucky overhead flourescent lights very often.  i hope i explained it well enough, but if you need clarification, just let me know and i can draw you a simple pic.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

anenli
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2004 01:33:21 PM »

my roommates and I bought paper laterns from Ikea.  They were white, but then we used Rit dye to dye them various colors.  We hung the lamps using the 3-M hooks.  They look really pretty and they sure beat the institutional fluorescent lighting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Photoshop a Movie Poster Desktop Wall Paper
How to Photoshop a Movie Poster Desktop Wall Paper - 3 of 3
How to Make a Stop Motion Animation with IKITMovie
Peachpit TV: Photoshop CS3 - Happy Little Tree
Peachpit TV: Photoshop CS3 - Make It Rain
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...