A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 299,144
Currently Running With Scissors:
647 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: granny square pattern I made up -- opinions?  (Read 13692 times)
Tags for this thread: granny_square , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

xmelinda
« on: August 25, 2004 02:15:28 PM »

*** CORRECTED! April 2007 ***

I realize it's silly that I posted this pattern and then later couldn't remember what exactly I did  Roll Eyes  But I've tried it myself and it seems that Round 5 just doesn't make any sense, so I'm re-writing it.  I'll put the corrected bits in RED.
===================================

I don't know about anyone else here, but I'm always fascinated by granny squares.  I love how you can make a zillion variations, intricate patterns, all compact in a repeatable motif.

Anyway  Wink I made up my own granny square pattern last night, and I think it turned out really cool, so I tried to write up directions for the pattern.  Because it's the first time I'ver ever tried to write up a pattern like that, I thought I would post here and see if anyone wanted to give it a try and tell me if my instructions make sense and work!  The pattern looks daunting at first, but it's really a lot easier than it looks.  I don't really know how to do a lot of fancy-shmancy stitches.  It took me no time at all to work it up.

Here is the pattern, and at the bottom of this post, I'm going to make my first attempt to post a picture.  For the record, I worked this square with regular worsted-weight acrylic with a fairly small hook, size E, and it came out 6x6 inches.  I'm sure it would work with a larger hook, too, but would obviously be a larger square.

NOTE: htr is sort of a cross between a half-double and a triple.  YO 2 times, insert the hook into the stitch and draw up a loop (4 loops on hook).  YO and draw through 2 loops on hook, YO and draw through ALL of remaining 3 loops on hook.

1.  Ch 6, join with sl st to form ring

2.  Ch 1 (counts as first sc), 15 sc into ring, join with sl st to first st (16 total)

3.  Ch 3 (counts as first dc), dc in each of next 2 sc, (dc, ch 3, dc) in next sc (corner made).  * dc in each of next 3 sc, (dc, ch 3, dc), repeat from * 2 more times. 

4.  Sc in each st around, working (sc, ch 2, sc) in each corner sp.  Fasten off color A.

5.  Join color B with sl st into the left-side chain stitch in any corner (at this point, treat each corner as 2 stitches, rather than as a chain-space).  Slip stitch acts as first sc.  (hdc, dc, htr) in next 3 st.  (tr, ch 2, tr) in next sc, (htr, dc, hdc, sc) in next 4 sc.  * (sc, hdc, dc, htr) in next 4 stitches.  (tr, ch 2, tr) in next sc, (htr, dc, hdc, sc) in next 4 sc.  Repeat from * 2 more times, join with sl st.  Fasten off color B.

6.  Join color C in any corner sp, ch 1 (counts as first sc).  Sc, ch 2, 2 sc in corner sp.  Sc in each st across, working (2 sc, ch 2, 2 sc) in each corner sp, join with sl st, fasten off color C.

7.  Join color D in any corner sp, ch 2 (counts as first hdc), ch 2, hdc in corner sp. Hdc in each st across, working (hdc, ch 2, hdc) in each corner sp, join with sl st, fasten off color D.

8.  Join color E in any corner sp, work as Row 5, but do not fasten off.

9.  ch 2 (counts as first sc, ch 1), sk 1, sc in next stitch, continue with (ch 1, sk 1, sc) pattern around, working (2 sc, ch2, 2 sc) in each corner sp, join with sl st, fasten off color E.

10.  Join color F in ch sp of Row 7 Row 10 is worked into the spaces between the hdc in Row 7.  Draw up a loop across rows 8 and 9 to make sc, * (ch 1, sk ch sp, sc in row 7 ch sp), repeat from * around, making ch 4 at corners.  Fasten off.

11.  Join color E to any post on row 4, sc around each post, making ch 1 at each corner, join with sl st.  This will make a raised chain outlining the center square.

Melinda
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007 09:58:11 AM by xmelinda » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I live in that place between conception and execution" -- IQJones
ilovepaper
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2004 02:21:24 PM »

I think it's great and I am so jealous because I can't read a pattern and follow it to save my life.
Nice work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

indiaromeo
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2004 07:08:51 AM »

That's an awesome pattern! I wish I'd brought yarn and a hook to work so I could try it right now. I'll definitely try it later and tell you how it goes...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lovely things for lovely people: www.indiaromeo.com
Because MALL is a four-letter word: www.thehandmademarket.com
Handcrafted adornments for body & home: www.thehandmaidens.com
twintoo
Mom of the Year

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2004 08:56:48 PM »

I'm not going to try it b/c then I would get hooked (pun intended LOL) and I have too many other projects to finish!  HOWEVER, *that* is CUTE! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Twintoo
Mom to Eli, 2
Stepmom to Madison, 9
eef
teh winnar

RAWRAWRAWR.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2004 01:02:36 AM »

Very cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

eef-ink - eef-ink etsy
Good gosh, I've been gone a while!
bookworm

colors are very pretty

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2004 04:03:36 PM »

this is really cute but i'm not very good at crocheting and if you could somehow explain how you make a hdtr please   Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eva-01pilotShenjiIkari
xmelinda
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2004 07:12:56 AM »

Yeah, and actually, I tried myself to make this square again, and I think I should edit the instructions a bit.  I just sort of forgot about it, but I'll do it.

hdc = half-double crochet and hdtr = half-double-triple crochet.  I know, I know, it makes no sense, but that is how I've seen it in patterns.  If I'm remembering wrong, someone please correct me!  It seems like it should be called "half triple" but that's tricky because in European charts, "half triple" is the same as American "half double".  Confused yet??

Basically, there's a trick to "rotating" the square.  If you look, the first inner square ends up rotated a half turn so that it's diamond-shaped.  The royal blue section is where you do the trick -- you make a line of stitches in a row increasing each stitch by a half-stitch, like slip stitch, then single crochet, then half-double, then double crochet, etc.  and then in reverse order to go back down.

Here's a good diagram about how to make half-double:
http://www.stitchguide.com/stitches/crochet/stitch_pages/cro_hdc_crochet.html

I can't find anything online that explains hdtr but here's a diagram about how to make triple crochet, and just like the half-double, what you do is instead of taking off the loops 2 at a time 3 times, you'll take off 2 loops and then all of the remaining 3 at once.
http://www.stitchguide.com/stitches/crochet/stitch_pages/cro_treble_crochet.html

Hope that makes a bit more sense.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I live in that place between conception and execution" -- IQJones
indiaromeo
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2004 07:22:51 AM »

Thanks for explaining the hdtr - I figured you meant a sort of half triple kind of stitch, but I got thrown off by the "d" in the abbreviation, too. I got up to that part in the pattern, scratched my head a couple of times, and then put it down. Now I can finish! Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lovely things for lovely people: www.indiaromeo.com
Because MALL is a four-letter word: www.thehandmademarket.com
Handcrafted adornments for body & home: www.thehandmaidens.com
little danielley
Part-time goofball

You can't really dust for vomit.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2004 11:16:46 AM »

it's darling, I'm going to try it out. I'll probably need my mom's help- I'm not very good at following crochet patterns Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
throw-a-bomb
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2004 03:13:08 PM »

I love your granny square! Smiley
I'm not good at following patterns though Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
VF COLLECTIONS: Kristian Aadnevik Spring/Summer 2015 - London Fashion Week
Get Hot Holiday Hairstyles
Lazy Girl Hair Hacks
VF NEWS: Ports 1961 Spring/Summer 2015 - Milan Fashion Week
Jennifer Connelly Lets Go of Her Long Hair
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...