A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 296,399
Currently Running With Scissors:
828 Guests and 40 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Am I a cow?  (Read 6248 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ananke
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2006 02:00:12 AM »

Run far far far away from numbered sizing. It's just ridiculous. My sister, a size ten, wouldn't fit the 18 for one pattern we tried (I'm not letting her see the pattern).

And seriously - you've got a nice balance between waist and hips, which is more of what matters. Make it to flatter and it doesn't make a difference what size you are (particularly since sizes are ALL lies).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bamabee
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2006 03:02:24 AM »

I keep a stash of cute $1 clearance fabric for trying new patterns.  It's kinda like a wearable muslin.  I - a store size 16, was shocked to see that my measurements in the pattern world were like 24 (probably for the boobs).  I almost puked.  Then I bought one and the "muslin" I made was huge.  I felt a little better.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
magpie_eyes

I like shiny things!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2006 04:55:43 AM »

I sometimes make a quick copy from newspaper, and just pin it up against me.  Muslin would probably be safer though.  If you try on vintage clothes (from the forties)  the sizes make you feel kind of sad too.  At least they can't get any smaller, I have a friend who is a size zero.  How?  Doesn't make any sense.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

reese299
yep, its like that

a little of column A, and a little of column B...

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2006 06:16:57 AM »

First off-no, you are not a cow!

Pattern sizing is a bitch, and if you sit and think about those numbers it will bring you down.  Do what everyone else said and make up a cheap mock-up of your pattern, and adjust from there.  And beware of the ease!  It is very hard to tell how a pattern will fit until you have it on-numbers sometimes do lie.  We all have "lumps and bumps" Wink in different places, and how a piece of clothing will drape on you (have to take into consideration what type of fabric you are using as well) is hard to determine by the numbers on a pattern.  Look at the finished measurements on the back of the package as well, and find out just how much ease the pattern has.  It may require some extra steps, but it is worth it.  Nothing is better than clothing that fits right, and that is handmade yourself.

Best of luck, and let us know how it all works out! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Whenever I draw a circle, I immediately want to step out of it." -r.b.fuller
beatnik_chik
Lightly Effervescent

Helpless!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2006 07:11:13 AM »

Agreed with all the "not a cow" remarks, but I do have to say that Old Navy really screws around with sizes.  I'm about three sizes smaller at Old Navy than I am at any other store.  It makes me more mad than anything!  Size is just a number, but it would be nice if that number didn't fluctuate eight times in one shopping trip!
Good luck with the pattern, girl!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<{{{><
And like a downward smoke, the slender stream
Along the cliff to fall and pause and fall did seem.
tiamatfire
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2006 07:16:25 AM »

I agree with everyone else that those sizes are wayyyyyyy off.  I am a very small person and normally take a size 2 in stores - my measurements on a Simplicity pattern are size 10!!!!  What you have to do is make a muslin of any pattern for each company (McCalls, Butterick, etc.) and find out what size you use for tops and bottoms.  Then forever ignore their measurements and just make your size.  It works for me Smiley

Oh and on another note, what the heck is with their seam allowances?  5/8"?  That's huge!  What a waste of fabric!  At work (I used to be a historical tailor) we used 1/4" allowances.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I do love knitting patterns!" - Albus Dumbledore

Harry Potter Craftalong: Spring Semester!
DivineMsN
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2006 08:12:20 AM »

Now that you mention it I was thinking the same thing about the seam allowance.  I never do more that 1/4 to 1/2 of an inch if I can help it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months. - Oscar Wilde

www.divinemsn.etsy. com
animegirlie
crafty nerdy girl

just make stuff!!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2006 08:51:24 AM »

You are soooo not a cow! I agree with everyone else on pattern sizing. It sucks. completely sucks. I have the same exact problem with patterns. I'm an amazon chick - 6' tall and thin - I cannot find anything that fits me in patterns and alot of times not in the stores either (New York and company is one of the few stores that I can walk into a buy something off the rack).

make a practice skirt - just like every one else mentioned and tweak tweak tweak from there.

seriously - last time I looked at patterns they all said I need a size 3x's what I normally wear in a store size.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

New Craft Blog - best way to contact me right now is via the bloggie Smiley

Wists are a wonderful thing!

Want a sticker?
charity
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2006 11:59:23 AM »

Thanks for all the replies.  I think I'm just going to go ahead and make it it a size 18.  If it's too big, I'll make it smaller.  If it's too small, I'll give it to my sister.  If it's too small for my sister, then I'll say to her, "Really? It's a size 18, I can't believe it doesn't fit." and make her cry.

/just kidding. 

I have some muslin. I'll start there. 

Again, thanks for all the replies.  They were very encouraging and helpful. 

To the person who mentioned tracing paper, where do I get that?  I've looked in JoAnn's Fabrics but couldn't find anything.  I know I need a tracing wheel to go along with it and I can't find that either.  I guess I could order it online. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2006 07:14:27 PM »

tracing paper comes on a roll and you can get it from an art or business supply place. it's not typically for dress/pattern making but it's what is used in design school.
and sizing in school is No where near what it is in stores. there is no standard for women's clothing so just forget everything you think you know about that!

have you considered making a duct tape dressform of yourself? it's a great idea when you are trying to figure out the fit on commercial patterns or alter something for a recon. maybe it's an option for you in the future?

as for just going ahead and making it, well... sizing isn't added on at the seams, it's an all over pattern thing so taking it off at the sides can make things fit funny. what i do is trace the pattern onto tracing paper and make a mock out of that or out of whatever cheap fabric i have around (if it's to be made out of stretch you MUST use stretch for your mock up as well). stitch it up quick and dirty and try it on, it only takes about an hour and will potentially save you several hours of work down the line. that way you KNOW what size you are before you cut up your pattern.
in fact, i never cut a commercial pattern, i always make a tracing so i can use the pattern over again in all of it's sizes. someone always asks for one of what you make so why not double or triple up eh?

good luck!!!!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2006 07:16:09 PM by MonkeyThumb » THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Helen Mirren Talks About Her Book and Writing
Indu Sundaresan Talks About Her Novel Shadow Princess
Adrienne Vrettos Talks About the Inspiration Behind the Exile of Gigi Lane
Get to Know Bestselling Author Lisa McMann
Jane Healy Talks About Different Learners
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...