A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,171
Currently Running With Scissors:
617 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tea Party Wedding Reception  (Read 2910 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bethyann
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2006 08:51:23 PM »

Vintage tea tins sound very cool.  I'm going to look into that.  Thanks for all this ideas and links, crafty friends.  Keep them coming!

So my knowledge of thrifting in minimal.  What's the best way to find cheap teapots and teacups?  Yard sales and thift stores are obvious.  Where can you find out about estate sales and stuff like that?  (Yes, I am clueless.  Forgive me.)  Ebay is looking pretty expensive and shopgoodwill.com is killin' me with shipping costs. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shmee
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2006 11:18:32 PM »

Check your local papers for estate sales and then once you go to one, check and find out if the people who run it have a mailing list - that way you'll get emailed every time a new one is comming up for that estate sale company. Another tip on thrift stores - many of them (goodwill in particular) give coupons when you donate something - often its like a 20% off a future purchase. It helps. Also, most of them have senior days (if you have access to a kind senior to drag with you) and sale days - %50 so make a note of when those are comming up! (can you tell I spend a lot of time thrifting?).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I want you to take a bite of my pork. Its the world.
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2006 07:13:05 AM »

My goodwills have also started doing mix and match days, where everything that's $0.99 per (which includes cups and saucers in my neck of the woods) is 6 for $5 instead.  So you can save a little there. 

I highly recommend keeping an eye on the newspaper for estate sales.  In my area, the tag-style estate sales are listed in the same section as auctions, rather than in with the garage sales.  So check there.  And you might enjoy a live auction or two.  Sometimes china and/or collectors teacups and that sort of thing can cause bidding wars, but if you pick your auctions right, they won't.  For instance, if it's an estate auction, there will probably be china of some sort.  But if the auction lists mostly things like tools, furniture, collectibles... it will attract a different sort of crowd than if it actually lists the china in the ad.  So, check out estate auctions that DON"T list china in the ads, because there probably will be some, but maybe not as many people there who WANT it.  Then maybe you can get some larger lots of teacups and such. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
Lothruin

I eat seakittens.

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2006 07:14:56 AM »

Oh, and PS about tea tins.  Of course, vintage tea tins are the bomb, because vintage anything usually is, but if you have trouble finding nice vintage tea tins, consider hopping over to your local oriental market.  At ours, a LOT of the teas come in rather lovely tins, but are still often cheaper than the same amount of tea in individual bags in a box at the grocery store.  This also might be a neat way to get some good teas.  (mmm green tea.....)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lothruin

I eat seakittens.

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2006 07:19:59 AM »

Oooh... (lol) and PPS if you would prefer loose tea over tea bags, I mentioned the tea balls... maybe consider something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/HUGE-LOT-OF-TEA-INFUSERS-BALLS-STRAINERS_W0QQitemZ290026909517QQihZ019QQcategoryZ38156QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If you can get a couple lots of this type, it would be really fun.  Maybe everyone couldn't have their own strainer, but you could have a tub of hot water to wash them in because you really only need the strainer for a little while each cup... Anyway, it's similarly ecclectic, to go with your mishmash of pots and cups idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bethyann
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2006 05:14:10 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions, shmee & lothruin.  I appreciate the tips on estate sales.  Good news... talked to a friend of my mother and she said she has about 40 teacups & saucers in boxes under her bed from her daughter's wedding.  She's going to let me borrow any that I want.  I'll need more, but free is even better than thrifting! 

Does anyone have ideas for making my own table linens?  I love the look of vintage embroidered ones, but I'm afraid that might be too expensive for my budget.  I'd rather spend my money on artistic photography rather than authentic linens that I may never use again.

What about cute things for the kiddie tables?  I was thinking of painting flowers on clear plastic cups for their iced tea and lemonade.  Cute, unbreakable centerpiece ideas?  No fake flowers in a plastic Barbie teapot!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lainey_vamp_girl
Just because I like black, doesn't mean i'm a bad person...

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2006 09:20:05 PM »

so.. i'm a newbie...  but i wanted to say that i love your idea..  and several people said you should have iced tea, and a few said you should have some mint tea...  well, if you choose to have some iced tea, you should make some spearmint sweet tea...  my mom makes it, and it's great..  the spearmint isn't a bold flavor, so it's nice and subtle..  plus, you can get a huge thing of spearmint for not too expensive, and it lasts forever!  it's so good..  just a thought..  have a good one! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"A woman is meant to be loved, not to be understood." --Oscar Wilde
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Callie Khouri: An Instant Feminist
Callie Khouri: Writing "Thelma & Louise"
Callie Khouri: Chick Flick
Callie Khouri: Finding Her Bearings
FFM 2 Septembre
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...