A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,482
Currently Running With Scissors:
371 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: taking credit for your crafts  (Read 503 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

noelle
« on: September 06, 2006 05:42:26 PM »

it has happened to me twice now.. i'm out in public, wearing something i made, and a stranger walks up to me and gives a compliment.

instead  of saying, "Thanks! I made it!" what comes out is just "Thanks.." as I stumble off. i really am proud of the things that i've made, and want people to know that i can make them. yet i can't seem to say it!

anyone else have this problem?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KCGal
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006 05:55:30 PM »

You sound a little modest...that's a nice quality.  Just "practice" a little with family and friends and you'll be able to pat yourself on the back when strangers compliment you!  I would think that people would be even MORE impressed with your item once you tell them that it's handmade.  Might even start up some fun conversations.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stealaline
The best part of believe is the lie. I hope you sing along.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006 06:44:00 PM »

Just to add to what KCGal said; not only could it start up some fun conversations, but if you are interested in selling some of your handmade items, then it's the perfect way to find a customer!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my wist
my personal LJ
win with me on winzy! prizes I've won:$10 amazon gc Friends:4
I really want a sock monkey, or 5! Where do you people get those awesome socks?!?!
noelle
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006 07:09:18 PM »

i know! it must be a shyness thing.
damn!  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
teapotdnky
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Obomaboe?

Craft or Die

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2006 07:12:44 PM »

I made some fake ice creams for our shop and we have them right by the register. A lot of people comment on them and I've just recently started taking the "blame" for them. People are impressed that I made them because they figure I work there for lack of other skills. Now they are more impressed when they find out I made them, plus I make more money off my clay things than I do working. I've gotten a few customers that way.  Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

Guess who's back?
curvykitten
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2006 09:46:24 PM »

*heh*  Ever since I started wandering around this webiste, I always ask (after complimenting)...did you make that??<P>You must be a shy one - I'll go on and on about something if I made it.  The suggestion about practicing with friends is a great one! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rawk!
crazydoc
"Never, ever give up" - Winston Churchill "Never, ever grow up" - Dr. Seuss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2006 08:08:43 AM »

I would second the suggestion about rehearsing with trusted family members. If you find yourself stumbling for words, why not give this a try?

Have several business cards printed up (be sure to add some sort of "code" that will give the new customer a modest, say 15% discount), and keep them in your purse/pocket when you are out in public.

When a stranger approaches you to compliment you on your excellent taste in jewelry/clothing/whatever-it-is-that-you-created-and-the-stranger-is-drooling-for, try this:

"Why, thank you. As luck would have it, I happen to know the creator of these pieces personally. I'm sure she would be happy to give you a little discount if you drop my name..."

Then give a knowing wink, hand them the business card, and walk away.

Think of it this way: if you were walking along, and were so enamored with someone's jewlery that you decided to compliment them on it, wouldn't you appreciate it if that person gave you a little "tip" on how you could acquire one? And with a little discount, at that!

It's all about the practice. Practice with hubby or trusted friends. Let them know that you want to excude a quiet, almost non-chalant confidence. Practice in the mirror (business cards and all).

Let us know how it goes!!

Best of luck,
~CD~

« Last Edit: September 07, 2006 11:52:05 AM by crazydoc » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shhhhhhhhh...it's Strictly Top Secret...
strictlytopsecret.etsy.com
curvykitten
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2006 10:21:29 AM »

*oohhh*  Yes!  Smarty!  Vistaprint.com for super inexpensive, but high quality business cards!  Check it out OP!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rawk!
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2006 12:31:30 PM »

"Double the thanks because I made it myself!" That's not hard to say, and people are way more impressed with something they like if it's handmade. Once you say that, the conversation begins anew.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

msalowishus

Virginia is for lovers.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2006 05:49:45 PM »

i am the same way. i feel like i am bragging or telling them more than they want to know if i say that! we deserve to brag though! so try it out
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Footer in Adobe Photoshop
How to Create a Sidebar in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Add a Video Placeholder in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Format Thumbnail Text in Photoshop
How to Add Thumbnail Images in Adobe Photoshop CS3
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...