A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,549
Currently Running With Scissors:
725 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 19
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: First Post.... Fun Retro Dress (Butterick 4790)  (Read 60714 times)
Tags for this thread: butterick_4790  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

amythest_star
« Reply #100 on: April 19, 2007 09:42:22 PM »

That is really cute.  I love the fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BeatnikChick
« Reply #101 on: April 20, 2007 01:19:29 AM »

I made this dress also in a pink, black and white plaid... =)  I absolutely love the retro fabric, the colors and everything... fantastic!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Human rights are for EVERYONE.  Did you know that Aung San Suu Kyi had been released from house arrest in Burma? Many other prisoners of conscience are still being detained.  Please research this topic... Amnesty International needs your help.
em0tionalprayer

On a scale from 1 to awesome...I'm the ish!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #102 on: April 20, 2007 07:18:20 PM »

That is so awesome!  Where did you find the pattern?  I NEED that dress! LOL
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Garnet Bear
your brain is the one with a shell on it

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 21, 2007 02:48:56 AM »

They've got it over here for $10.  I found mine at Hancock Fabrics, but I think Joann  has it too.  The list price on the dress (Butterick B4790) is us $16.95, but Hancock had a $0.99 pattern sale.  I'd wait for that. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Always up for trades! my ATC gallery

Garnet Bear Crafts on Etsy this-a-way
ElleBee85
« Reply #104 on: May 22, 2007 03:43:50 PM »

Hi! I'm new on here, and this is actually my first post, but I ADORE your dress!!!! It's SO flattering and it's just perfect to the T! I'm a beginner when it comes to sewing, but if I saw that pattern, I'd definitely  buy it and save it for when I got better. Where did you buy it??? You did an amazing job Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ZumaGirl74
Rebel at home & abroad.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: May 28, 2007 10:38:53 AM »

What an adorable dress!  Perfect for a picnic.  I love the funky fabric you used.  I'll bet it's comfortable too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nirvanagrl
Sally Sue

Eat, Poop and repeat...thats nirvana for you

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #106 on: May 28, 2007 10:42:40 AM »

wow!!! I am totally going out and getting this pattern. Its so beautiful!!! Yeah for curvy!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i didn't notice the beauty, just how it hurt. Wet like a cherry in a bloodbath of birth.
Atticus
« Reply #107 on: June 04, 2007 06:57:30 PM »

I JUST LOVE IT!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cherade9
« Reply #108 on: June 06, 2007 09:23:34 AM »

I've looked at this post several times now. I bought the pattern about 6 months ago and I've been waiting for my weight to stabilise before I made it. However I don't think that's going to happen in a hurry at this rate, so I'm going to just make it Smiley

The toile fabric I'm using is a vintage bedding set. It's a white background with huge stylised yellow, mellow lime green and soft turquiose blue abstract flowers strewn over it. I need to decide on the binding colour, but I've decided to make the dress all in one fabric, at least for this first try.

A couple of tips for the circle skirt hem.I nstead of trying to take the hem up in the normal way, you could try removing the hem allowance completely. Then bind the raw edge with the same binding you used for the armholes and neck edge.

You could also take half of the hem allowance away and use the inherant bias quality of the binding to shape the bottom hem. All you do is stitch one edge of the bias binding to the hem edge, press the hem up and then hand of machine stitch the other edge of the binding to the skirt.

This way gives a traditional hemmed bottom with the extra weight of the hem fabric to help the circle skirt hang, but without all the hassle of trying to get an unevenly biased edge to turn up neatly.

For both methods shape the bias binding before applying it by stretching it into a slight curve while pressing it with a steam iron (heat appropriate to fabric(s) of course). This makes the application much neater and quicker.

I'm a seamstress who never make clothes for herself.. sound familar anyone? ;p Seriously though, this is a job I've have to tackle on couture wedding dresses for years and the two tips above can save you a lot of stress. If you look up 'Bias Bound Hem' or 'Bound Hem Finish' in a sewing book or online you should come up with some tutorials and instructions.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2007 09:26:58 AM by cherade9 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

jen53207
« Reply #109 on: June 12, 2007 08:33:25 AM »

i love this dress - especially the colors/print you picked.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 19 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Hold a Guitar Pick
How to Turn a Used Vinyl Record Into a Bowl
How to Make a Pop-Up Card
How to Make a Transformers Costume
How to Follow a Sewing Pattern
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...