A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 299,134
Currently Running With Scissors:
452 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I can't handle it  (Read 1880 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Beadiegirls06
« on: September 06, 2006 01:06:22 PM »

My house is so un organized and I can't handle it anymore. i need help. My living room has miss matched furnature in it and it just doesn't work. I just put up brand new curtains and I love them. i am trying to make my living room look sort of asain with black and tan and some sage green, but my husband insists on putting more furnature in this room that doesn't match. I feel like I no longer have control. It is so overwhelming. My 2 spare rooms are basically catch alls for everything that we don't use. My husband won't get rid of any furnature. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thebagfairy
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006 01:15:36 PM »

I totally understand about mismatched furniture and having LOTS of it(my living room!). In a pinch, slipcovers can help coordinate furniture pieces. As for the extra stuff your husband brings in...you could make it 'dissapear' while he's at work or with friends playing poker, or, you could explain to him that all that extra furniture is costing you both in space and upkeep - if you have too much stuff then you can't find/utlize the things you actually use. You could also suggest that he chooses to part with one piece of furniture that he likes least before bringing another piece in.

Good Luck:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Beadiegirls06
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006 02:14:19 PM »

I totally understand about mismatched furniture and having LOTS of it(my living room!). In a pinch, slipcovers can help coordinate furniture pieces. As for the extra stuff your husband brings in...you could make it 'dissapear' while he's at work or with friends playing poker, or, you could explain to him that all that extra furniture is costing you both in space and upkeep - if you have too much stuff then you can't find/utlize the things you actually use. You could also suggest that he chooses to part with one piece of furniture that he likes least before bringing another piece in.

Good Luck:)
Thanks for the suggestions
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soupprincess
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2006 03:54:14 PM »

Anything wood or fiberboard can be painted black to match (left sleek for contemporary decor/you Asian theme, then tricked out with floral cushions if you switch to a more traditional decor later), and the upholstered items can be slipcovered or just have throws placed strategically.  Burgundy can suit nearly any decor...If you go with the throw idea, dowel rods shoved down the cushion cracks can help keep them in their place. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
diannab
founder member of the ZaftigMomma appreciation Society : )

Away..... stalking..... will return shortly......

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2006 07:46:05 AM »

Slipcovers were my first thought... someone beat me to it..... painting to coordinate was my second thought.... someone else got me there.... but one thing that hasn't been mentioned...... reupholstering chair seats (for chairs that seem like table chairs in the kitchen) helps, and pillows. Find a pillow that would almost exactly match your sofa then toss it in a chair. You would be surprised at how easily pillows and paint can tie mismatch together. Remember it's not mismatched if it looks like it was done intentionally!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I may be out of touch for a few days.my cable company merges we are experiencing lots growing pains!!! Email: diannabishop@yahoo.com
Would you like a Child/baby clothing & gift board?
michellegiordano

mgcreations.etsy.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2006 07:43:25 AM »

I have some ideas, the first and most important is from experience.

Your Husband/Boyfriend/Partner (whatever we all have) is NOT the boss.  You live there too and if you don't own a doormat, get one, its not your role.  If there is too much its just interferring with real life.
(My experience in this is that I was the pack-rat and have since reformed)

*with that said I am off the soapbox*

Secondly, as mentioned before, slip covers are probably the answer for the furniture you can reasonably keep.  If you have to much you have to do a clean sweep and he has to realize it.  Encourage him by telling him he can devote one of the spare rooms to himself, and one for you, or something like that.  What guy doesn't want a gaming room or a weight room or some other room geared towards their interests. 

The other ideas mentioned like black paint are great for an asian theme. 

HTH * Best of Luck!

Michelle Giordano
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ruby_soho

That's what she said.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2006 10:53:13 AM »

you might also talk him into getting rid of some of the junk by using a yard sale as incentive - you could even promise him some of the money to buy something he wants.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i care about you a homemade oven mitt's worth.
ryanne
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2006 01:22:07 PM »

I agree with everything that's been said.

Maybe it would help to sit him down, duct tape him to a chair, and make him watch a few episodes of Clean Sweep, too.

Michellegiordano said the most important thing, I think - "You live there, too"
THIS ROCKS   Logged
michellegiordano

mgcreations.etsy.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2006 07:08:01 PM »

I agree with everything that's been said.

Maybe it would help to sit him down, duct tape him to a chair, and make him watch a few episodes of Clean Sweep, too.

Michellegiordano said the most important thing, I think - "You live there, too"

I am really into Neat, Room Service, & Mission Organization lately.   And The Smart Woman Survival Guide.  Its not really about decorating, but its still really good, its on the "W" network on mondays, and they play reruns most days too.  Totally worth checking out!

Speaking of Organizing, I am still trying to do it, three years into my marriage, its not as easy as it looks on TV.  I need a professional organizer and a whole bunch of money for all these storage solutions.  I just finally got a filing cabinet last week, and what a life saver.  The top drawer is a junk drawer, for junk we use alot and don't have a home for.  The middle drawer actually locks and thats where I keep files, and the bottom drawer locks too and I keep bigger items like the spare keyboard and phone book (why do we keep a phone book anyways?  - power outages - cause you can't look up phone numbers online then)

I have been wishing for a cubby shelf with baskets in every other shelf. 

Michelle Giordano
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Mallory Cornelison: The Revlon Makeover Challenge Part 2
Mallory Cornelison: The Revlon Makeover Challenge Part 1
Megan Moore: The Revlon Makeover Challenge
Marianna Hewitt: The Revlon Makeover Challenge Part 1
Marianna Hewitt: The Revlon Makeover Challenge Part 2
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...