A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,183
Currently Running With Scissors:
333 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Stooopid Question?  (Read 511 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Zia
« on: September 03, 2006 08:53:17 PM »

My sister has a beautiful store bought hand knit sweater and I would like to try to replicate it (more or less).  If i weigh her sweater, will that give me the true amount of yarn I would need?  Or am I totally off track?  Wouldn't you just assume that would work?  And maybe add a little extra yarn just in case?

Any thoughts on this would really be appreciated!   Grin

Zia
THIS ROCKS   Logged

zeeblebee
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006 12:54:48 AM »

One thing to consider with the weight of yarn, is the different weight of different materials. Kind of like the difference between the weight of oil and water, or gold and wood.

I don't know how to estimate the necessary amount of yarn, but in order for the weight to give you the exact amount of yarn, the same materials, treatments, etc would need to be used. The yarn would need to be exactly the same in every way. If you are using yarn with the same wpi and fiber content I guess it could be close enough, though I would definately buy more to be sure.

When I typed "estimating yarn amount" into google, there looked to be a few promising pages, but as I haven't tried any of the methods, I can't recommend any.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Zia
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2006 01:57:27 AM »

Gee, not as easy as I thought, and that all makes a lot of sense.  I will try googling as you suggested.  Thanks heaps for your input!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

soozeq
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2006 03:37:21 AM »

If you've knit a sweater before, you may have an idea how much yardage it took. I'm finding that for a pullover I need about 800 yards of worsted weight on the needle sizes I generally use for sweaters. So it's basically figuring it out for you. Look at patterns that may be similar, out of similar yarn and see how much is needed for your size.

sue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
mistressmegan
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2006 06:27:24 AM »

This might help you some.  I've used the estimations before and I think they're pretty safe.
http://www.fiber2yarn.com/info/how_much_yarn.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Zia
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2006 02:45:54 AM »

soozeq - yep I have knitted many sweaters these past few years... but as zeeblebee said before, I have to take into account the different weight of the yarn etc, so I don't  want to just assume that because a pattern is similar, it's going to take the same amount of yarn.. know what I mean?  I'm probably being fussy blah, blah, but I just don't want to get caught out!  Oh and how much would 800 yards be in metres or grams?   Embarrassed  We don't really use yards that much where I live.

mistessmegan - that great!  thanks so much - it will really come in handy.

thank you both for your advice...  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

itesser

utor is totus pro bonus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2006 02:52:49 AM »

800 Yards = 731.52000 Meters

Handy conversion link:

http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/LengthConverter.html

It can't do anything as far as grams, but I don't know anyting that can. Such measurements really will depend on the weight of the yarn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2006 03:22:00 AM »

Most patterns give the yards or meters required for a piece because yarns vary so much by weight. 50 grams might be 75 meters or 190. Most worsted weight is *about* 110 meters per 50 grams, but not always.

sue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
Zia
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2006 08:09:09 PM »

thank you both..

At least I'm getting a little closer to understanding how different weights etc. work.

I guess sometimes it's just trial and error with guessing how much yarn you really need for a project.  Occasionally I get caught out with not enough yarn, even though the pattern calls for whatever they say you need, so who knows really.   Huh

Zia
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Chili Cinnamon Salmon with Mango Salsa Part 2/2
How to Make Smoked Salmon Hash Part 2/2
How to Make Smoked Salmon Hash Part 1/2
How to Make Salmon Breakfast Bruschetta
How to Make Salmon Surprise
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...