A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,386
Currently Running With Scissors:
515 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I need sock help...  (Read 965 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mcekar
« on: September 05, 2006 08:56:10 PM »

Ok, so I want to knit my dad a pair of socks for Christmas.  I'd never knitted socks before, so I wanted to make myself a pair just to make sure I could do them.  I finished the first one, in Essential Sock yarn from knitpicks and it's too big for me.  And I'm a big girl with big legs.  And I didn't change the pattern at all. 

My question is this:  are hand-knitted socks just supposed to be a bit looser than storebought?  I normally knit really tightly and have just recently become accustomed to knitting looser, but then I think my sock was too loose, but it was still abou 7.5 sts to the inch, which seemed to be about normal.

Am I crazy?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
naelany

Duck, Duck....silly goose!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006 09:14:16 PM »

Being a new knitter myself, I'm struggling with much the same issues as you are. Did you measure your feet at all, or just go by what the pattern said?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"just keep crafting, just keep crafting"

Sorry I've been gone so long. Am trying to get back on the boards. Body's thrown me for a few loops these past months and am still learning to adjust. Thanks for your patience.
yarn_nut
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006 09:35:11 PM »

Hi,

Try the sock calculator.  You just input your gauge and foot dimensions and it tells you what to cast on, how much to knit, etc.

Good luck!  Socks are fun.  BTW, 7.5 is a normal gauge.  sport weight i belive.
Gail
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gail
Check out my blog! www.gailknits.wordpress.com
fiber_freak

ruthee in Jacksonville -- Proud Knitting Bitch =)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006 12:55:23 PM »

What pattern did you use?  How many stitches did the pattern call for?

The wonder of handknit socks is one can make them as tight or loose as is desired. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog (of course....)
http://saoirse4me.blogspot.com
diosaperdida
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2006 01:00:11 PM »

I see so many patterns that say to knit until you have a foot that is 11/2 inches from the legnth of the foot you are knitting for. I also see ones that ask for measurement around the ankle.
I would make sure you are using eaxctly the needles that get the guage in the pattern..no matter what needles are called for, or else wing it using many of the sock formulas that are to be found online.
I really have never followed a sock pattern( yes..as I said I have read many, but I always wing it when I actually make them.)...they are all more or less the same, and I go by my guage and keep a measuring tape close by.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.diosaperdida.net  - My website
http://knittingbare.blogspot.com/ painting, knitting, whatever...it's all art
http://painting.craftgossip.com/  decorative painting techniques, projects and product info.
mcekar
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2006 01:04:10 PM »

thanks!  I followed the pattern pretty much exactly (a first for me, I believe Smiley), just to see what would happen.  I ran the sock through the wash today and it's a little better, but I don't like how loose the stitches are, so I'll be experimenting. 

Thanks for the sock calculator.  I think it might be my new best friend.

You guys are awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
yarn_nut
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2006 06:12:17 PM »

opps... sorry.  Here's the link to the sock calculator
http://www.panix.com/~ilaine/nsocks.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gail
Check out my blog! www.gailknits.wordpress.com
meriellyn
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2006 04:40:30 PM »

I think the key to well-fitting handknit socks is making them for the measurements of the foot, not to a pattern.

Decide what size needles gives you the fabric density you like. Measure the leg and foot of the intended.
Multiply your stitches per inch (of your gauge from whatever needles and yarn you chose) by the number of inches around the person's leg. Multiply that number by .9 (90%) and voila, you have your number of cast-on stitches!
Knit on down a long as you want the top of the sock. For even more size insurance you can stick with ribbing the whole way. Work your heel flap on half of your stitches. A general guide for heel flap length is knit as many rows as you have stitches (if you cast on 60, work the flap on 30 and work 30 rows). When you pick up, pick up half that number on each side.
Decrease those every other row until you get back to the cast-on number. Work your foot in st st until it's comes to the base of the big toe or so. (A little too long is better than too short.) Decrease every other round until you have 12 or 16 or so left and graft the two sets of 6 or 8 or whatever. For a less pointy toe, eliminate the plain knit rows between the last couple of decreases.

I'm not yet familiar with the short row heel so I can't help you there.

If you wanna go toe-up, the summer Knitty has a formula and wendy of wendyknits.net has one as well.

I made my first sock to pattern specs too. The boyfriend has that pair now. Not exactly the right size but I got the techniques down. For my second pair I used the above formula and they fit like they were made for me. Wink
« Last Edit: September 08, 2006 05:49:32 PM by meriellyn » THIS ROCKS   Logged

mcekar
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2006 05:21:46 PM »

meriellyn, that's fantastic.  I really appreciate it.  thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
meriellyn
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2006 05:47:25 PM »

You're welcome! Smiley

I forgot to add that you can customize the width (or narrowness) of the heel by leaving a couple more or a couple less stitches in the middle when you're turning your heel. About an inch is a good guide but you can leave more to widen or less to make it more narrow. This is helpful when knitting for my mom's pointy heels. Smiley
And, of course, if there's a good bit of difference between your foot measurement and leg measurement (I'd say more than an inch or so but I'm not quite sure where the line is there) you can stop the gusset decreases sooner or later than your original cast on number. It seems that's not necessary for most people though since the measurements tend to be pretty close to the same.

Socks are awesome because they're so customizable and don't require a strict pattern. Plus they look so darn impressive! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Tomboy Style Meets Brooklyn Cool for This Teen’s Back-to-School Look
7 Crop Top Looks We Loved at the 2014 Teen Choice Awards
Dress Primer: 3 Fresh Ways To Wear Florals
Trend Takeout: Are These Shorts the New Cutoffs?
How to Breathe New Life Into an Old Tee
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Kitchen Dishtowels with Fabric Accents
Tomato/Tomahto
Meatless Monday: Veggie Bolognese Sauce

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...