A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 302,593
Currently Running With Scissors:
744 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Organization for Circulars?  (Read 2325 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Locutus137
« on: September 06, 2006 09:50:13 AM »

Wondering how everyone deals with their circular situations?  I am a freak about organization and I'm going nuts here.  Straights and dpns are easy.  I've got my yarn stash under control - but have no idea what to do with my circs.  I like them to be tucked away but easily accessible and to be able to pick out the right needles quickly.

I was considering a dayplanner type thing and just getting more pockets.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
moazogotl
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006 10:42:07 AM »

I think that'd work.  Or one of those things with lots of see-through pockets that fishermen carry tackle ties in.  (Does that make any sense?  My dad uses them.  I don't know what they're called.)  Knitpicks has a pockety thing for their options circs that you might be able to get separately.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftykate
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006 10:53:06 AM »

I have one of those small expanding check file things for circs that are shorter lengths and a bigger "full sheet of paper" size expanding file thing for the longer lengths. They both have a length of elastic cord attached to the opening flap that you pull around to keep it closed. They work great for this.

Ok, my description isn't great. I'm talking about one of these things.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://craftykate.etsy.com

Yep, it's a knit blog
http://craftykate-knits.blogspot.com/

wanna trade? I heart personal swaps.
Calysa
I heart Anegada

~ will craft for peanuts ~

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006 11:05:43 AM »

I store mine in a three-ring binder.  I bought some heavy ziploc-type storage pouches that fit into the binder, and place one circular needle in each pouch and write the size on the outside.

The pouches can be purchased at any office supply store, such as Office Depot or Staples.

It's an innexpensive way to keep them organized and tangle-free.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistake?  No... it's an Unexpected Design Element.  I put it there on purpose.  *ahem*
Wizardesssss

Cherish your bliss!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2006 11:08:16 AM »

I bought a sheet set months ago and they came in this zip up bag, I use that. I've since been able to pick up more from friends.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fiber_freak

ruthee in Jacksonville -- Proud Knitting Bitch =)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2006 12:28:53 PM »

It is funny because my circ needle storage is the ONLY place I am disorganized with regard to my knitting crap.  I just shove them all in one ziploc bag so I have to dig through them and have NO idea what I really have. 

Wow.  That is pretty lame.  =/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog (of course....)
http://saoirse4me.blogspot.com
BroadwayKnits
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2006 01:21:28 PM »

Knitpicks sells a needle organizer like the one you may be looking for at:
http://www.knitpicks.com/needles/Needles_Options.aspx

Here is a picture:

Value is $20...It is good quality -- I ordered the entire needle set which included one.  Except that I don't have a need for the organizer.  PM me if you're interested in working out some sort of trade or something.

~christy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
subloke
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2006 08:22:22 PM »

I made myself this hanging organizer for my circs:

I saw something like it somewhere on line and since I am cheap crafty I made one for myself out of some scrap fabrics.  I tacked it to the end of my bookshelf in my living room so it is almost completely out of the way, but very accessible. 

I like it because it keeps the circs "relaxed" so that once I have the cords un-coiled they stay that way.  As you can see I have quite the collection, and this way I can keep the different lengths of circs together by size.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't be a good example then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

http://yesimadethat.blogspot.com
Wizardesssss

Cherish your bliss!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2006 10:22:56 PM »

I saw something like it somewhere on line and since I am cheap crafty I made one for myself out of some scrap fabrics.

Can you tell us, have you sewn the fabric so it looks like a B with loops. Does that make sense? Creating little flaps I mean (I think)  Roll Eyes  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged
subloke
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2006 06:52:20 AM »

Can you tell us, have you sewn the fabric so it looks like a B with loops. Does that make sense? Creating little flaps I mean (I think)  Roll Eyes  Undecided

I think I know what you mean.  The slots for each size are just sewn straight across with the fabric laying flat on top of the back piece.  I didn't make them loop out (words escape me this morning).  It has plenty of room to slide the needles in.  I allowed for a slightly bigger space for the larger needles. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't be a good example then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

http://yesimadethat.blogspot.com
ConcreteJungler
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2006 08:09:01 AM »

I use a standard sized 3-inch D ring binder and DVD pages (like the ones for CDs but they're wider to allow for the flattened box art, I think).  I label them with index labels (with different colors for different lengths like the 16" all have green labels with the size number on them).  Like so:

The rest of my apartment looks like a crazy old lady's basement.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010 10:01:31 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged
lookagnome
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2006 09:25:29 AM »

once a couple months ago i was at joann's and i found a roll-up needle organizer... sort of like that one subloke posted except then you tuck the needles in and roll it up and tie a sort of shoelace cord around it... saves space if you dont want to display ur circs on your wall

i dont use it much but it seems that itd work... i have the boye needlemaster set so i only have a few loose circs
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Locutus137
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2006 10:35:53 AM »

I use a standard sized 3-inch D ring binder and DVD pages (like the ones for CDs but they're wider to allow for the flattened box art, I think).  I label them with index labels (with different colors for different lengths like the 16" all have green labels with the size number on them).  Like so:

http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/14567Circ_storage_1.JPG

The rest of my apartment looks like a crazy old lady's basement.
Awesome!  This is what I was thinking along the lines of but would not have thought of the DVD sleeves.  Thank you!  I like to have them tucked out of sight.  =)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010 08:43:28 AM by jungrrl - Reason: please remove img tags when quoting » THIS ROCKS   Logged
knitster88
aka christinanne

ch-ch-ch-ch-ch cherry bomb

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2006 08:09:07 PM »

I saw something like it somewhere on line and since I am cheap crafty I made one for myself out of some scrap fabrics.  I tacked it to the end of my bookshelf in my living room so it is almost completely out of the way, but very accessible. 

I like it because it keeps the circs "relaxed" so that once I have the cords un-coiled they stay that way.  As you can see I have quite the collection, and this way I can keep the different lengths of circs together by size.

SNB has a pattern for one of these.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look what youve done to me now, youve made me perfect
Mama Grouch
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2006 08:28:45 PM »

That rocks.  I keep all of my patterns in a 3 ring notebook so I could just throw a couple of DVD holders in the back.

You may have saved my life.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010 08:29:50 AM by jungrrl - Reason: please remove img tags when quoting » THIS ROCKS   Logged
meriellyn
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2006 05:58:01 PM »

I want one of those hang-y ones but I simpy cannot bring myself to even think seriously about making one without a sewing machine. Tongue

Hmm... maybe fabric glue? That just occurred to me.

Besides that I'm pretty sure I'm getting the Options set for Christmas so maybe I won't need one after that.

For now I keep mine in the bags they came in and stuffed in my zip up needle organizer. This works fine for Addis but sucks for Susan Bates/ Boye/ etc. Since I rarely use the SBs and Boyes I don't have too much of a problem there. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Canon G10: Set Delete Function
Canon G10: Set Auto Mode Function
Canon G10: Set Aperture Priority (Av) Function
Canon G10: Set for Sunset Scene
Canon G10: Set for Sports Scene
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...