A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 296,680
Currently Running With Scissors:
438 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dinosaur sheet dress and tutorial  (Read 111281 times)
Tags for this thread: dress , tutorial , dinosaur  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Roethke
Tutorial Contributor

I work with toxins

View Profile WWW
« on: September 05, 2006 01:23:33 AM »

I view my gallery receptions as though they're the Emmy's.  Mostly this is because I rarely have a chance to pretty up and show off, and because of the rarity, I don't like to wear the same dress twice.  This is also the same way I made the TMNT dress ( http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=113679.0)

Here's the tutorial of how I made my dress. I spent far too much time putting this tutorial together and I'm doing it for free, so please don't use my pattern to make garments to sell.  That's theft, very unethical, and will result in me delivering you knuckle sandwiches and shin kicks.

The dress only takes half a sheet for the top fabric, so you could potentially make two dresses with the materials you'll get.

You will need:
1 white sheet (for lining)
1 patterned sheet (a twin is big enough, and generally those have the best patterns) 
12 inch zipper

1. Start out by making some measurements.  Measure your true waist, and the distance from there to where you want the skirt to fall (a little past the knee), and the distance from your waist to shoulder, then measure your chest at its widest.  I'm showing this while clothed, but you should be naked when you take your measurements.

2.  Unpick the seems on the sheet and.  Cut out the skirt from the sheet material.  It should be a half circle skirt.  Map it out by making a half circle with the measurements of your waist plus 2 inches for seems.  extend a straight line from that with the measurement of the skirt length plus 2 inches for seems.

3.  Lay the circle skirt flat and face side down on the white lining fabric.  Pin it into place so it doesn't shift or ripple while you cut.  Cut out the white fabric in the smae shape as the sheet fabric.

(notice the backwards text because the face side is next to the lining fabric)

4.  The top edges of the sheet should have a seem, which you already unpicked.  It would be about 2" wide.  Cut that off about half an inch from the final fold of the seem.

Don't forget to cut your scraps up and save them for stuffing stuffies with later.

Take the edge you just cut off the sheet and flip it inside out.  Sew along the edge.  It should look something like this, but longer, as you pin and sew it:

Sew along the end edges as well.

You now have a long tube.  Cut it in half.  Flip both halves inside out and set aside.

5.  Now it's time to make a shirt pattern.  Get a big piece of paper and sketch out a pattern like the one below.  MAke sure it's too size.

You'll notice it's only half a shirt, but both sides will be mirror images of each other so that's ok. 
The back piece is like the from front piece, but with a scoop cut out of it.  Give the sides of the pieces a little inward curve to keep them shaped.  You'll try it on before finished it, so it's ok if the shape is just a little off as long as you make sure there's enough allowance for seems.

6.  Cut the four shirt pieces out of the sheet material.  Then place those pieces on the lining material, face side up, and pin them into place before cutting them out.

7.  Pin the various pieces of the shirt together.  Then, pin on the zipper on the back.  I use a 12 inch zipper.

8. Try the shirt on, keep it turned inside out so you don't stick yourself.

Pin in the sides further if it doesn't fit quite right.  Make sure you look at where the zipper is pinned and make sure it curves with the curve of your back.  Tuck it in under your breasts if need be, and along  your waist.  Don't be afraid to take it off to make a few adjustments to how you have it pinned, and then try it back on to make sure you got it right.  Don't worry about how it fits above the breasts as that will be addresses later.

Sew up the sides of the shirt piece, excepting the zipper.  Just keep the zipper pinned into place.

(note how I have a few pins places throughout the shirt to keep the two fabrics together)

Make sure the bottome edge of the shirt ends at your true waist, with just a little seem allowance.  Give it a little trim if it doesn't.

9.  Back to the skirt.  Sew the two fabrics together along the bottom edge of the skirt, with the sheet fabric facing inwards.  Then, take out all the pins and flip the skirt inside out.  Now you have a neat bottom hem to the skirt.   

10.  Now pin the skirt to the bottom of the shirt.  Unpin the bottom two pins from the zipper so you can match the edges of the skirt to the edges of the shirt.

Sometimes there will be some excess skirt material.  You can either cut off the excess inches from the circumference of the skirt, of evenly space a few little pleats to add a little extra flounce to the skirt. 

I added four pleats to my skirt, placing two in front and two in back.  Make sure the pleats are small so the don't make the flow of the skirt funny, keep in mind where it would be flattering to place them, and sure sure they're evenly space.  Don't be afraid to use a ruler when you space them out.

Now sew the skirt to the shirt.

11.  Time for the zipper.  Sew the back of the skirt up to about a quarter inch above where the end of the zipper would fall.  Pin the zipper its final few inches down the back of the skirt, and sew it into place.  I don't use any special attachments for this, nor do I know how to, so if you have any questions regarding the correct foot to use or whatnot, don't ask me as I have no idea.

12.  Remeber how I told you not to worry about the bodice top?  That's because we're going to worry about it now.  Put the dress on.  Decide what kind of a neckline you want.

When you have the dress on, place you hand on the fabric above the breast.  There should be an excess that sort of flaps out.  Fold that excess down, angling the fold either outwards or inwards.  Pin the fold into place.

Do you want a scalloped neckline, (like on my train dress http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=115750.0) or do you want a v-neck?  For the scalloped neckline, pin the fold inwards.  For the v-neck, pin outwards.

I wanted a v-neck:

TAke the dress off and sew the fold into place.  I hand sew the fold so the sewing is less prominent.

13.  Pin the edges of the shirt down.  Don't worry about the very top points of the triangles of the bodice.  REfer to the picture above for referrence. 

Sew the seems down.

14.  TAke those two tube you sewed a while ago.  Turn the open edge inwards just a little

Pin the tube, holding the folded edge carefully to keep it even, onto the top corners of the bodice.  Tuck the fabric of the bodice inside the tube and pin it down.

Sew the tubes onto the fabric. 

15.  You're done and so am I.  I finished just in time for my gallery reception.  Yay!

Someone owes me a martini for putting this thing together.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2006 01:32:45 AM by Roethke » THIS ROCKS   Logged

flysparrow
Caddisfly

Rickrolls herself.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006 01:46:58 AM »

Wow, I'd totally give you a martini for that effort. That's an awesome tut  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Scary Teri
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006 02:12:27 AM »

Friggin SWEET!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The connotations wearing my nerves thin
Could it be semantics generating the mess we're in?
I understand that language breeds stereotype
But what's the explanation for the malice, for the spite?
AmaZing
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006 02:13:14 AM »

That's amazing, thanks for the great tut as well- it's v. helpful. I'm going to make something like that hopefully. Btw- I love your hair!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fingertip
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006 09:30:33 AM »

Oh my, GREAT tute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The End.
betty_death
(it's pronounced "deeth")

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2006 10:20:27 AM »

thanks for the tutorial, you totally rock! 
I'll have to try this dress!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

violentjayne
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2006 10:43:00 AM »

as always im tottally impressed ... i love it .. your dresses always look perfect on you
THIS ROCKS   Logged

m_diamond

"Where did everybody go? It's lunch!"

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2006 12:14:43 PM »

That is amazing! The final product looks so gorgeous...I hope everyone else thought so too. Great work Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*Watch this space -> Sig coming soon*
tiamatfire
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2006 01:17:56 PM »

Wow, awesome tute!  Now I know what to do with some of the fun things you can get at Value Village or as "As-is" from IKEA.  I have a really wicked pillowcase from there with an embroidered fairy...need to figure out how to do something with it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I do love knitting patterns!" - Albus Dumbledore

Harry Potter Craftalong: Spring Semester!
roxybadoxy

Glcklich mich

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2006 01:31:50 PM »

so cute!! awesomly awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

please help some animals by clicking here!
OH! and there are other tabs so you can do more helpful things. YAY!!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Kathy Ireland Talks About Real Solutions for Busy Moms Devotional
Riku Campo Talks About Best in Beauty
Zoe FitzGerald Carter Talks About Imperfect Endings
Hunts the Cool Book Trailer
Meet Author Richard Madeley
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...