A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 305,431
Currently Running With Scissors:
374 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Gift-Giving Angst  (Read 1248 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists

I have my hands full...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: September 04, 2006 12:17:49 PM »

I want to make my mom something she'll love for her early October birthday. After looking at just about every single thing in the LYS I bought Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sport and the Magical Knitting book and made a mobieus scarf.  200 cast on stitches!  The applied i-cord cast off for 400 stitches just about killed me!  And when it was done I knew she would never use it.  Fortunately it's perfect for my husband's grandmother (who has a birthday in two weeks).  Grandma will really love it.

Now I have no idea what to make my mom.  I have 2 and 3/4 skeins of Lorna's left and tons of other yarn but nothing seems right.  I've never done socks and I don't think she'd appreciate them in proportion to the amount of work they seem.  Every thing I think of I just don't think she'd use.  She lives in southern California and her personal temperature runs hot so many knitted items are out.  But I really want to knit her something.

Anyone else had this kind of problem?

...Of knitting, sewing, crochet, and so much more!
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006 01:12:20 PM »

Does she like bags?  You could knit her a felted bag, or a cotton top.
My mom lives in Indonesia (tropical country, verryy hott).  So, that's what I knitted her.  And some face washcloths.

Good luck!

Cherish your bliss!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2006 10:07:34 PM »

I agree....a bag or a small purse even.
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006 07:24:32 AM »

I vote for fancy face cloths - they are relatively quick, don't cost too much, always useful.

You could put them in a basket with some nice soaps, lotions, bubble bath or candles.

You could felt a bowl to put them in.

ETA: Crystal Palace Cotton Chenille yarn is my pick for washcloth yarn. I washcloth per skien, about $7-8, look very luxurious. It is available in many lys or on the web.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2006 07:28:05 AM by elijor » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have my hands full...

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006 08:06:31 AM »

I could knit her a bag, but she is very picky abut her purses and likes them to have the front flap with credit card holder places and stuff.
I like the face cloth idea; I'll have to look for the Cotton Chenille.  Sugar n Cream just didn't seem nice enough.

Last night I started a Claptios for her, but I may decide to keep it when I'm done. 

I just feel like, if I bought her something she didn't like she could take it back, no big deal.  But a knitted gift is a whole different thing! 

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2006 08:24:21 AM »

Washcloths/dishcloths and a nice soap is always a winner. Linen hand towels are nice as well. Pot holders are useful.

Maybe an openwork scarf that's meant to be decorative rather than warm. Simple lace in something lovely like bamboo.

Then again, if you don't think she'll appreciate anything you can think of, maybe a different present is in order?

I have my hands full...

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2006 09:26:58 AM »

I'm sorry, I'm afraid I've given the wrong impression.  My mom is great and she'd love a huge, super bulky weight badly knitted, ill-fitting sweater if I made it.  She's really proud of my knitting and brags to all her friends about what I do.  So I wanted to make her something cool, but what has been a problem.  She'll appreciate anything, but whether she could use it is the problem.  I do think the Claptios will work well.

I was mostly wondering if anyone else gets seized by the "nothing is right" bug when it comes to knitting for others.  I have read a lot of posts lately where people have expressed frustration that the hat they made a friend was never worn or whatever and it made me wonder if other people have the gift-giving angst I do.

Maybe it's just my own special neurosis!  Embarrassed  I'm not much better when it comes to store-bought gifts for people I love.

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2006 09:52:40 AM »

Everyone can use a Clapotis!! Wink I want one desperately but I never finish anything I start for myself so I can't justify buying the yarn I'd want it in. Too much Christmas stuff to work on now anyway.

I know what you mean about worrying that things won't get used. That's why I think house items are often a better way to go unless the recipient has a specific request. The most used gift I've given was potholders.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2006 06:00:09 PM by meriellyn » THIS ROCKS   Logged

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2006 03:43:17 PM »

Tote bags/purses usually go over well.  But I second the dishcloth idea.  I was really skeptical about the dishcloths--come on, how nice can a dishcloth be?  Is it worth the knitting time??--but I made my mom one for her birthday, and three days later she started not-so-delicately hinting that I should make more.  For her and grandma. Smiley  So yeah, dishcloths. 

Margarita Miss

cuervo on the rocks ... salted rim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2006 04:54:05 PM »

JennJenn, I feel your pain.  I usually end up not giving the knitted items that were originally intended as gifts.  I think she'll love the Clapotis - even California has a few evenings when there's a chill in the air.
If you decide to go for a fancy facecloth/dishcloth, there's a pattern I loved in Mason-Dixon knitting.  I posted one here a while ago:  http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=118414.0  (Just substitute a more luxurious chenille yarn.)
And here's a spa mitt with a link to a free pattern:  http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=118076.0  (Add it to a nice basket of homemade glycerin soaps.  They're easy to make and you can add her favourite scent to them with some yummy essential oils.
Good Luck!

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Moschino Beauty Fall 2015
How To Contour Using Cream
DIY Your Own All-Natural Green Tea Body Butter
Beauty Talk with Lauren Conrad: Wedding Prep
Beauty Talk with Lauren Conrad: Desert Island Beauty List
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Cube Advent Calendar
Thankful for Family
Meatless Monday: Guava Pecan Pie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...