A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,324
Currently Running With Scissors:
672 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cloth Diapers into Decorated Burp Cloths  (Read 5011 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

JennJenn

I have my hands full...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: September 04, 2006 10:56:36 AM »

I saw these at a craft show for $20 a pair and thought, "I can make that!"  Here is my latest batch of fancy burp cloths, made from gerber cloth diapers.  They are really absorbant in an emergency and I think they feel classier than the average burp rag.  These are going to be gifts for moms of new babies in my Mothers of Preschoolers group this year.

One whole diaper

My daughter wanted in on the picture!

All 16 of them!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011 09:34:27 PM by alteredmommy - Reason: fixed coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

...Of knitting, sewing, crochet, and so much more!
babygoinplaces

Baby, I'm goin' places!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006 11:00:16 AM »

I love making these and also enjoy picking out the flannel I use to sew on them.  You can get it in so many versitile colors and patterns.

For a pair, I often sew one just as you've done and then make one that only has trim on the bottom edge.  Then I'll embroider something like the baby's name or a matching design on the one with only a border.  That makes a nice set, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://babygoinplaces.com
Baby Goin' Places--for the baby on the go!  Slings, pocketchangers, custom clothing, and now custom monogramming and embroidery!
http://babygoinplaces.etsy.com
JennJenn

I have my hands full...

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2006 11:15:02 AM »

Do you use iron-on adhesive with yours?  I do but it takes forever!  It seems like the panels wouldn't stay very well with just top-stitching though.  I find that it's almost impossible to make these look perfect because the diapers are never even to start with.  Any tips?

I've used calico fabric on the ones I've made.  I like the flannel idea.

ETA:  The cloths you have on your site are beautiful!  It's great to see some ideas that look a little less time-intensive for the next time I make a batch for MOPS.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2006 11:43:38 AM by JennJenn » THIS ROCKS   Logged

babygoinplaces

Baby, I'm goin' places!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2006 11:23:47 AM »

I can tell you how I do mine, and it works for me.

I cut a piece of flannel about 1" larger on all sides than the middle panel of the diaper. 

Using an iron and ironing on the diaper if I need to, I press the long edges of the fabric under on both long sides until it fit the middle diaper panel.

I then lay the flannel piece over the diaper with right side of flannel to back side of diaper.  Stitch the short side as closely to the edge as you can.  Flip the panel over now so that the two right sides (diaper and fabric) are facing up, or wrong side of fabric to right side of diaper.

AT this point, you only have one short side sewn to the diaper but the long edges are pressed to the size you need. 

Simply top stitch around the remaining sides.

Another thing that you could do is to sew the second short side in the same manner as you did the first, then turn the diaper through the long, unstitched sides.  At that point, both short ends would be secure and you'd only have to sew the long sides. 

I hope that made sense.  There are probably a dozen ways to do this, but that's what works for me and I don't have the added cost and trouble of using any other material or bonding agent.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://babygoinplaces.com
Baby Goin' Places--for the baby on the go!  Slings, pocketchangers, custom clothing, and now custom monogramming and embroidery!
http://babygoinplaces.etsy.com
JennJenn

I have my hands full...

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006 09:29:47 AM »

Thanks for the instructions!  That would be much faster than my method.  I used the fusible webbing because I was afraid it wouldn't look as nice after a few washings without the stuff but now I'm going to try your method.  If the moms in my group are as prolific as last year, I'll be needing to make more cloths in no time!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
7 Ways to Apply Highlighter For a Luminous Face
5 Ways You Never Thought to Use Deodorant
VF COLLECTIONS: Luisa Beccaria - Fall 2015 - Milan Fashion Week - Runway & Interviews
VF NEWS: Donna Karan - Fall 2015 - NYFW - Backstage, Runway & Interviews
Best Celeb Beauty Looks Of The Week
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!
Meatless Monday: Chia Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...