A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,381
Currently Running With Scissors:
556 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: polymer handles for clay tools (to make fur,hair,smiles, etc.)  (Read 1887 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« on: September 03, 2006 02:55:07 PM »

RecycleMicol, this is for you --to show some of the ways you could embed a needle or multiple needles into polymer clay if you wanted.  (Sounds like buying those cheapest felting needles would be easier, but just wanted you to see these if you wanted to try.)

The tools in this first photo (gifts to me from Cecelia Determan) are double-ended, as well as being multipurpose.

The bottom tool has 3 needle tips embedded in a triangle shape very close together which is used as a furring tool like the one Katherine Dewey uses on the mice in her Sculpting Lifelike Animals book. It's dragged along the surface in short strokes.

At the other end, 20 or so straight pins (cut really short) are embedded randomly (end is 3/4" x 1.5") ...some pins have sharp points, and some have rougher points since they were cut with wire cutters.  Can be dragged or pressed.

The top tool has a needle embedded in it which has had the top part of the eye cut off... it's used to embed bits of "hair" like mohair, etc., into a raw polymer clay head (for most realism).

Its other end is a circle made from wire, bent, then embedded, so that it can be used to impress multiple small circles on raw clay to simulate a curly beard or some kinds of fur or wool
... Cecelia wrote about these in her HOTP book Merry Christmas Faces; she wraps a 1 1/2" length of (20-gauge) wire around a bamboo skewer or pencil tip to form a 1/8" wide circle, bends both tails back to insert into a handle of clay, leaving a flat circle for stamping
...(or the circle end of a safety pin could be used)

The next ones are a few of the other things I've embedded in polymer handles for better grip and longer length.

These are single pins, ball-headed pins, and needles (including a tapestry needle):

And these last ones are a drill bit, a V-type linoleum cutter bit, and some "smile" tools for simple figures. 
The smile tools are made by bending down the U end of a paperclip, then cutting that off past the bend and embedding in clay.... when pressed onto a blank clay face, they make a cute smile indention (or a frown if upside down). (Yellow one shows tool from the side.) The last one on the left is one-legged and the same idea, but can also be used in other ways.

Some of these stay in best if they're pulled out after baking (sometimes pliers are necessary, but sometimes they can't be removed!), then glued back in with superglue.  A few like some of the paperclips, are actually still whole, just covered with clay in the middle.

(If you're want to check out more on making polymer handles, look on this page:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/tools_Dremels_worksurfaces.htm
...click on Handles)

« Last Edit: December 15, 2008 02:09:35 PM by batgirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
RecycleMicol
Phasing out my swaps for now. I'll swap again later!

Use it up, Wear it out, Make it do or do without!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2006 03:31:55 PM »

Oooooo....Man...I love the whole making your own crafting tools thing!  Especially when they can be so beautiful!

Thanks for sharing this with me!!!  I'll have to try to make a multi-needle felting tool of my own!!!  Those other tools look so great...if I get into polymer clay, I'll be sure to make some of them, too!

Later,
RecycleMicol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For my Free Knitting Pattern for Hand Springs Fingerless Mitts:

View My Craft Blog

I'm finally on RAVELRY!  User ID RecycleMicol
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Spicy Orange Chicken Recipe
Chicken and Basil Stir-Fry Recipe
How to Make Asian Style Baked Fish
Pan-Fried Tofu Recipe from Chef Judy Joo
Vietnamese Steak and Asparagus Salad Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats
July is National Blueberry Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...