A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 299,134
Currently Running With Scissors:
701 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Want input on website  (Read 2227 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Decorate Now

www.DecorateNowPatterns.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2004 08:35:30 AM »

I'm a bit confused.  There is a beige left sidebar that is decorative, but no background texture.  The background is supposed to be white for the pages.  Is the left sidebar faint?  Or is there something else going on with the background?

Some of the spaces are where the page anchors take you to different reading sections.   If that is confusing or distracting, then I'll put the info on separate pages.   My home page has begun to spin a bit out of control, unfortunately, as I have been adding info.   I've been trying to regroup and redo.   

Prices are at the top of the pages, as all patterns are all the same price.  So you prefer it if I price at each item?

And I've been trying to hide the ad free stats logo so that accounts for the blank spaces at the end of the pages.  I'll go tighten that up.   Anyone know of a good cheap or free statistics counter?  I like them because they tell me on what page people are bailing out of the site.  And they've let me know when I've had dead pages that were still accessible on search engines, so I could change those to redirect pages. 

As for the frames--that is a default thing that the website building program does.  I use the hosting company's program, and it has it's own little quirks.  My site was found by my (future) customers just as I began building it, so things progressed rather quickly, and I have a whole list of programs that I still need to learn for the biz.  So that one will be eventually solved as I work through my technical learning curve.

Going to go fix things now...

Thanks-- and keep the comments/ideas coming.    Grin

THIS ROCKS   Logged
rapidcraft
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2004 01:14:53 PM »

Yes I was speaking of the textured backgound on the sidebar , I never saw the prices , but did expect them to accompany each item . Even though all the items are the same price you have to do some moron proofing for people like me LOL
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dan
www.rapidcraft.com
a crafters community
Decorate Now

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2004 02:47:09 PM »

See, that is what I want.   Moron proof advice.   Grin

Seriously, after looking at your own page over and over, you just don't see things that automatically jump out at others. 

Almost finished streamling things....how is it looking now?

THIS ROCKS   Logged
rapidcraft
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2004 08:26:59 PM »

Okay the page is much more readable now that you don't have to scroll down so much . Layout looks good , the sidebar background is still a little light for me but maybe thats just me . I still think you should put the prices next to or above the "add to cart" button . I clicked on an item from the main page and inititially didn't see the price but then remembered you saying it was at the top. However because 99 % of shopping carts put the price in very close proximity to the "buy it now" or "add to cart" button , we are sub-conciously trained to look there for it and literally ignore the fact that the price is present if its not where we expect it .

If I didn't know where the price was supposed to be I would assume its another half done website that you can't buy anything from . Not trying to be hurtful , just honest .
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dan
www.rapidcraft.com
a crafters community
Decorate Now

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2004 07:05:17 AM »

Not a problem.   If I didn't want the opinions, I seriously wouldn't ask.  There are going to be things that I don't think of.  And I need other's input to let me know about those. 

That is on my list to fix.  I added it to the individual pages, but ran out of quiet time to finish up that first page.   

Anything else that bugs you?  Isn't what you expected?  Wondered what in the world I was thinking when I did that?  Makes you scratch your head?  Is glaringly wrong or wierd?

Keep them coming.   And thanks.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2004 12:39:44 PM »

I like the site, but seriously dislike the color interactions.  The beige sidebar looks completely out of place with the colors you've used for the rest of the site.  I think a more sophisticated color scheme for your text and table borders / background colors would be more in keeping with your product line.  But if you are attached to those colors, then the sidebar is FAR to sophisticated and needs to be changed.  It's ok to have more fun than sophisticated site, even for a professional one, but it needs to be consistent.  Personally, I think some of the fabrics of your sample photos are really pretty, especially the Pagoda one, and you could pull colors from those fabrics to use as your text colors.  (The hex colors for almost any color are pretty easy to determine if you use certain graphics programs.) 

Also, if your "Decorate Now Patterns" logo is already recognized, you wouldn't have to change it much.  The pink text could use the color pink from Pagoda's florals and the purple could be replaced by something pulled from Lisabeth or Mt. Vernon.  Meanwhile, the checkers are alright, though if you keep the sidebar, I'd make them less stark, less 50's diner-ish and more softened, like a check print uphostery fabric.  Maybe in a red and tan.  (Pull the red from that room's walls and the tan from the sidebar.)  Basically, you want to design your color scheme just like you would the decorating scheme in a home.  Everything needn't MATCH, but it should coordinate.

Oh, also, I personally prefer to be able to navigate from any page to any page.  And I dislike that when you click on a product, it opens an additional page, especially since the link on that page just takes you back to the beginning, but doesn't close the page, so you have the potential for a whole bunch of separate page windows being opened all for the same site.  If you want to have each product featured in a new page window, then perhaps a "close this page" button instead of a link back to home would be a better idea.  In either case, as I said, I like to be able to navigate from any page to any (main) page, so it irritates me a little that the only link on the individual product pages is back to the main product page.  You should keep your nav bar (Whether it be to a side or on the bottom or top) the same on all your pages, and if you want to do some internal navigation within sub-catagories, do so in a different location.  (In this example, keeping the side bar the same, but putting a "Back to Product List" button or link UNDER the product description would be GREAT!)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2004 12:48:00 PM by Lothruin » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
Decorate Now

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2004 04:46:27 PM »

How are the colors now? 

The logo is new--so changing isn't a problem.   Ditto on the colors.  I had a black/beige color scheme that looked sharp with one of my pics, but then the pic wouldn't fit the site anymore.  So I chose teal/purple/beige color scheme that worked for awhile...then it got boring somewhere along the line.  So I added color and went too far the other way.

I'm open to new side bars--but haven't found one I like.  I'm still trying to brand my product in a way that I love...and still trying new things along the way. 

Any and all suggestions welcome.  Still tweaking everything...

THIS ROCKS   Logged
californiamosaics

mosaic mailboxes, decorative posts, custom accesso

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2004 09:28:02 AM »

Hi, Great website my the way, I did notice that there was no price on josephine victory and maybe you should move the price of each item away from the title, maybe closer to view cart button for easier viewing. I know what you are going through, I've only have had my site up for 2 weeks now and there is always something to fix and/or adjust. Hang in there, looks great!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
A No-Cook Cranberry Relish?!
A Monkey-Bread Thanksgiving Recipe Your Kids Will Love
Sausage and Winter Slaw Sandwich Recipe
Three Sweet Side Recipes for a Thanksgiving Meal
How to Make a Philly Cheese Steak Bake
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...