A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,549
Currently Running With Scissors:
740 Guests and 39 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: HUGE bead storage PROBLEM!!!  (Read 2161 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Beadbakery
« on: September 03, 2006 09:28:40 AM »

I need help!!

I have an embarassing huge collection of beads, which I know to some reading this are cursing me for complaining about such a thing but it's truely become a problem.  I have brought tackle boxes in the begining, and then hanging closet organizers which worked for the last year or so but now I have a broken closet rail and beads everywhere.  My boyfriend and I are looking to move but I think he might be reconsidering if i don't think of a new system for the beads!! ( and if he steps on one more I think he's going to loose it!!)

Here's the question: What do people use to store thier beads in?

I saw magnetic rodes in Ikea that are ment to hold those small rond tins with glass in the lid, the only problem is not only the expense of how many I would need but also the wieght of all of them on the wall,

I'm at a complete loss!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jenna rose
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2006 10:58:36 AM »

have you seen this thread? http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=118326.0

her solution for all of her beads is pretty awesome.  definitely something i'd like to get sometime.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Beadbakery
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2006 11:19:34 AM »

I did see that but I live in Toronto so to ship something like that across the border would be a nightmare.  I want something that I can pick up locally

Thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged

carlierae26
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2006 11:07:14 PM »

use those hardware thingy with the small drawers

http://www.containerstore.com/browse/Product.jhtml?CATID=74126&PRODID=70412
THIS ROCKS   Logged
padray
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2006 11:52:55 PM »

^ Those are very useful!  I would suggest putting your beads in one of those after the move, unless, the drawers have lids that really snap in place.  You don't want to pick up the whole thing and have your carefully sorted beads mix up during the move.

If you have a lot of the same kind of beads, as in you don't need a thousand little containers to sort these beads, you could always just use cheap containers with lids. Shoebox size would stack well. Or even a real shoebox.

Or if you do need to sort these, by color or type, you could always save (and ask friends to save, too) altoid tins and other small containers of that type. These could then be stored inside your larger boxes or cabinets or dresser.  I used to go through altoids like...well, candy Wink so I had a lot of tins and used those for a very long time.  I still have some of my favorite beads in some.  I've also done the very cheap route, small snack bags, of the zip-sandwich-bag style that I bought at the dollar store.

Hope this helps!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2006 11:57:10 PM by padray » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Beadbakery
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2006 11:40:49 AM »

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I have gone to a couple storage stores but I"m still at a loss b/c I want to have them visible or easy to see (helps stay inspired) so we're think about incorporating them into the decor of our place somehow...maybe... who knows.

I'll keep searching and in the meantime I'll just have to live with it
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

GOD LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!

need me email me! jat42171@yahoo.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2006 11:46:10 AM »

I  use  fishing tackle boxes. they are clear dna have  little dividers taht  you place where  you want them so your spaces are   as big or as little as you need them.
not  sure  you could  find them  in toronto tho....... I get mine at walmart.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

looking for instant coffee from australia or russia made with mustard and champagne.  VIOLET CRUMBLES and VEGEMITE would be welcome swap items!!
efitch
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2006 11:51:32 AM »

The big hardware containers with the clear-front drawers work well, and to move them, I would recommend wrapping the whole thing several times with Saran Wrap or another clingy plastic wrap - it's a common trick for moving things with drawers or moving shelves that still have things on them. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GirlOnMulch
How do you know when it's time to let go?

Yeah, I was a lego.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2006 11:19:58 PM »

you said you wanted to incorporate it into your decor and that is what i did. my dad is a real "handy" type so he made me like 25 small shadowboxes. i filled them with beads, put the back on tight, and hung it on my wall. it looks cool when the boxes are full. and if you dont have enough to fill them, then its a great excuse to go buy more. i did mine by "pretty" "spunky aka plastic" and buttons. pretty is basically not plastic and not buttons. haha hope i helped!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Beads and Broadway. 2 Best things EVER.

www.wists.com/girlonmulch

"How do you soar if you're nailed to the floor?"
~Johnathon Larson-Tick Tick Boom
beadheadie
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2006 11:26:26 AM »

I do know that you can get similar metal tins at sporting goods stores. Cheap too. In the camping section is where I found the ones I use. They are for fish hook storage. Ya know,so when ya open the tackle box they fall all out everywhere.
Hope this helps-
Laurie
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adjusting the Contours of an Image
Adding Luminosity to an Image
How to use Animation Presets in After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 Tutorial - Reconnecting Footage
The Orton Effect in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...