A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 305,018
Currently Running With Scissors:
408 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: what to do with inexpensive beads??  (Read 799 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

brideOFkniterstein

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: January 03, 2007 11:33:10 AM »

hi all,

i'm new to beads and working with them. i bought some right after christmas during all the sales, but i don't know where to start.

what cute, cheap, fast project can a newbie start without too much of an investment??

thanks for all info
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm down with Personal Swaps
My Wist

BRIDES-TO-BE: i have wedding stuff i would love to swap away. pm me for list of items!
speedingpullet
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007 01:27:08 PM »

Welcome to beading!

Wow... where to start....

It really depends on what kind of beads you bought - did you buy seed beads, or larger glass 'accent' beads?
What kind of of things do you like? Do you like simple strings of beads, wire work, or more elaborate woven bead projects? Are you interested in making jewellery or creating bead tapestries? How about beaded flowers or 3d critters?

My advice would be to find a project you like the look of and try and make it. There's lots of free bead patterns on the web - one site I use quite a lot is
http://www.bead-patterns.com/
It has quite a few free bead patterns, and the ones you pay for are normally reasonably priced. It can be a bit 'cutsey', but there's still a lot of really cool patterns there.

Also, check out some of the beading magazines - they usually have some cool stuff to do, at all different skill levels.

Three of my favourites are:

Bead and Button - www.beadandbutton.com. They have projects for all types of beading, at all different skill levels, plus a tutorial at the back for all the stitches used. They also have a great classified/advertisor section, so you can find stores near you.

Beadwork - www.beadworkmagazine.com. Some really beautiful 'out there' stuff, plus tutorials on making beads too. Its geared more towards more avanced beaders, but certainly worth getting for inspiration, if nothing else.

Step by Step Beads - www.stepbystepbeads.com. They have a good section on polymer clay and lampwork techniques, plus a section on readers work and a good nationwide bead store directory.

All three of these are readily available at places like the magazine section of Barnes and Noble, plus quite a few others. Check 'em out! You can pick up all three of these for under $20, and they will give you months of ideas.

Also - check out your local bead store. Many of them have classes, and if you're learning a new technique, there's nothing like having someone there to show you how to do it.

Anyway, I hope this helps!

I pretty much taught myself by going 'thats cool...now, how would I make it?', so don't claim to be a bead diva by any means - but I'd be more than happy to try and answer any questions you have. And, I'm sure there are many others on Craftser who can help out too.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
brideOFkniterstein

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007 07:18:08 AM »

wow!!!

so much info so fast!!! gotta love craftster!

i'll spend some time going through all you provided.

i have no idea where to start or what to make, but i guess i can start with one "that's cool... how can i make that" project and see where that takes me.

thank you so much for taking the time to give me such a thoughtful and delailed reply.

woo hoo!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm down with Personal Swaps
My Wist

BRIDES-TO-BE: i have wedding stuff i would love to swap away. pm me for list of items!
jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

GOD LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!

need me email me! jat42171@yahoo.com

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007 07:34:00 AM »

ok  and  don't  forget  pinkyk and kappys   disscussion  on the  fabulous  melted  beads....  true  art  work  comes  out!!   do a  search  on here......
THIS ROCKS   Logged

looking for instant coffee from australia or russia made with mustard and champagne.  VIOLET CRUMBLES and VEGEMITE would be welcome swap items!!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
3 Minute Summer Makeup Tutorial
Favorite Summer Lipsticks
Favorite Lip Colors and Bronzers for Summer
French Riviera Summer Makeup Tutorial
Must Have Summer Lipstick Shades
Latest Blog Articles
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner
Tute Tuesday: Upcycled Car Trash Bag with Liner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...