A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,636
Currently Running With Scissors:
627 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ideas for October Bazaar  (Read 3384 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jpalerino
Designs By Jamie

View Profile WWW
« on: September 02, 2006 10:29:31 PM »

I'm in charge of our churchs bazaar.  Church members donate craft items for me to sell at our table.  Problem, the crafts are mostly (well nicely, old-fashioned) and I need some easy hip craft projects that I can make quickly and cheaply.  Halloween and Thanksgiving crafts seem to go the best.  Thanks for your tips.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Custom Handbags & Accessories
www.designsbyjamie. etsy.com  - My etsy site
www.designsjamie.bl ogspot.com - Blog
www.flickr.com/photos/designsbyjamie - Photo gallery
FIFI

It's useful being top banana in the shock dept.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2006 03:34:45 AM »

We had a craft fair at my children's school and although we rented tables to vendors,a lot of their stuff didn't sell. Jewelry, knitted and crocheted things just simply didn't go. There was a vendor who made wallets and purses out of duct tape and those sold well. Amazingly enough, at the school table, little ornaments made out of wire and beads (kits you can get at AC Moore or Michael's) all went. I think that you need to concentrate on things that are inexpensive. People (around here anyway) don't seem to have the money that they had a few years ago, but will buy an ornament or little item to support your fair. We also had flavored coffees at the food table and that was very popular. Hope that this helps some - good luck. will try to think of other ideas!
FiFi
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sophieangele
Two-headed girl

lacing fingers through the notches of your spine

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2006 06:08:08 PM »

Yeah, I'd say have small token stuff that can be sold cheaply, as people just don't appreciate crochet and knitting any more Sad

Some stuff you might try:

beaded bracelets/rings - just look at the board for inspiration
craft kits with halloween/thanksgiving crafts, like a beaded witch or something
juice packet purses/any kind of purse really

er, other than that, dunno, sorry Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BrushfireFaeries
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006 07:21:01 PM »

I *love* going to craft bazaars... I drag my roommate to them every year (although I'm pretty sure she harbors a secret love for them at this point, too!). Anyway, here are some simple ideas you could throw together rather inexpensively and I think would probably sell:

- Hook earrings. You can buy the plain hooks in the jewelry section of most craft stores, and just attach one or two simple little things to them. These always seem to sell out. For Halloween, try a string of beads to look like candy corn, little plastic witches hats (check out what craft stores have cheap for the holidays... bound to be tons of little knick knacks). There is a loop at the base of the hook so you can poke holes through items and slide them right on. For Christmas I always see hook earrings with jingle bells w/ or w/out little ribbons, tiny colored lightbulbs (real or plastic/fake) and people just love them.

- For Thanksgiving, maybe make up a little packet for kids with an "I'm thankful for" list type thing? Sounds weird, I know, but I'm thinking that kids can be so in the way of the cooking and such on Thanksgiving, and giving them a little project to work on would keep them busy.

- Marble magnets! Buy those marbles that are flattened-like (the ones used in Mancala or usually in vases) and glue a cute little picture to the back (very little!) and then a piece of magnet tape to the back of that. The marble magnifys the picture a bit and they're very cute and trendy. You could probably find little pictures to print offline, or make your own holiday doodles. You know, ghosts, witches' hats, turkeys, pilgrim hats, christmas trees, etc. You could sell them in sets of six or eight.

If I think of other ideas, I'll let you know. They're all up there in my head somewhere, it's just always a little chaotic in there. Smiley

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We do not know the true value of our moments until they have undergone the test of memory." -G. Duhamel
dansk
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2006 02:07:17 PM »

You could make these Halloween antenna balls and make some that look like mummies or frankensteins too:
http://www.kidsdomain.com/craft/antenna3.html

Or spray paint some cheap twig wreaths black and put plastic eyeballs on them.

I made these hanging spider decorations one year that everyone liked. They were cheap to make. I'm sorry I don't have pictures of these, I hate tutorials without pictures!

You need:
black pipecleaners
a black feather boa
googly eyes
silver crochet thread

Take two groups of three black pipe cleaners and twist them together at the centers, bend the ends to make legs.

Cut a piece of boa off and wrap it around the middle of the pipecleaners (I used a glue gun to secure the ends together underneath), this will be the spiders fluffy body.

Glue the eyes on (looks cuter with different size eyes) and tie a length of silver crochet thread around the body to hang it from.

A branch (maybe spray painted black or orange with some glitter thrown on) in a vase full of sand would be a great way to display these.

The powder puff snowman faces by judypudy (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=115550.0) would make great ornaments to sell too.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2006 03:10:55 PM by dansk » THIS ROCKS   Logged
TeriH
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2006 05:22:24 AM »

If you've got a sewing machine, why not run up some napkins and place mats in themed fabric.

Or what about small decorated wicker wreaths. Can use with a candle or as a napkin holder. I sold these at a local Church Fair last year.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Free Craft Books, Hints and Tips
http://freecraftybooks.com
My Wists http://www.wists.com/TeriH
jpalerino
Designs By Jamie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2006 06:54:43 PM »

Thank you for the ideas.  Keep them coming!  I think I am going to make some vintage like paper cones in a Halloween or Thanksgiving theme.  Put some halloween and thanksgiving picks inside.  Use a little glitter glue to edge the seam of the cone and put a curly wire at the top as a hanger.   I will also do the marble magnets and the snowman ornament idea is great.  I make purses but won't have a booth at this show because I'm so busy, but I will put out some checkbook covers and key rings.  The theme napkins are an awesome idea.    Thanks

Jamie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Custom Handbags & Accessories
www.designsbyjamie. etsy.com  - My etsy site
www.designsjamie.bl ogspot.com - Blog
www.flickr.com/photos/designsbyjamie - Photo gallery
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Milan: The Sartorialist For AOL On
Bullfighters: The Sartorialist For AOL On
Best Tips For Taking a Great Photo
3 Tips to Taking Amazing Photos From Celebrity Photographer
Abandoned America: Photographer Snaps Derelict Spots Across The Country
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...