A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 300,899
Currently Running With Scissors:
417 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Looking for: Vegetarian recipes with lots of servings!!!  (Read 2003 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

taped_on_wings
Queen of ill-fated physical comedy

Leave the politics to madmen

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: September 02, 2006 07:56:28 PM »

I'm a newbie to the whole vegetarian thing (three whole days now!).  I'm not much of a cook and I'm a poor college student, but am looking for some recipes that I can make and have a lot of leftovers for a few days. 

I've searched so many sites and all that I've found are mainly for one or two servings -- I'm talking casserole dish here!  Dairy products and eggs are fine, as are totally vegan options.  I love trying new things.

Thanks!
~K
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.robotheartsquid.etsy.com
http://www.wists.com/taped_on_wings
http://theonlyevidence.blogspot.com/

Before birds get sucked into jet engines, do they ever think, "Is that Rod Stewart in first class?" ~Eddie Izzard
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2006 11:33:21 AM »

An internet search yields enormous results like this:

http://allrecipes.com/directory/1690.asp
THIS ROCKS   Logged

la_petite_moi

NOMNOMNOM DING ZIP! :3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2006 11:38:57 AM »

fatfree.com has some good veggie options as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gloing
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2006 03:42:12 AM »

very easy to make, great variety and you can eat it cold or warm (and rewarm it):
filo (sp?) bags:
I take filo from the supermarket, roll it out rather thin, then I put the filling inside. then close it and bake it for about 15 min.
filling: for example:
Spinach + feta cheese
Tomatos + feta cheese
tomatos + mozarella
etc
you can add eggs and spices and other ingredients as you like.
you can make the bags as small or big as you want by varying the size of the filo pieces.

some other recipes would be a pesto (you can do the pasta fresh when needed and store the pesto some days) or pizza muffins. There should be recipes on the net.

another favorite recipes:
soup with champignons,carrots and potatos in it, flavored with pesto.
cook water till it boils, put  small cut potatos and carrots in it,squish some  garlic and put it in the suop, shortly roast the champignons in a pan with some butter, put them in the soup, spice the soup, and at last put some pesto (or just some basil) on the soup (when its already in the bowl, it tastes better when its fresh on the soup)

I hope you like the recipes, if you dont understand something (my kitchen vocabulary is rather small) or have questions, just ask.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gerbilocity
i knit therefore I am

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2006 10:16:41 AM »

one of my favorites is lasanga....you can make it with almost any type of veggie you would like, or with just cheese and tomato sauce....it can last for days....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kaitlinnegan
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2006 10:37:19 AM »

Lasagna also freezes well!  Last time we made it I knew I wouldn't be able to finish the whole pan in time, so I froze some individual servings.  Yummy!  Most boxes of noodles now have a "no-boil" recipe that is a little easier and faster than boiling the noodles ahead, or you can go for the no boil noodles, which are a bit faster but also a bit more expensive.  Tabouli is also great as a meal or side dish -- if you look for bulgur wheat in the natural foods section of the grocery store, most packages have a recipe.  Feel free to play around with it, though.  I like to put in cucumbers, green peppers, carrots, tomatoes and garbanzo beans.  Unfortunately it can't be frozen, but it's so good I want to eat it for every meal when I make it.  In the vegetarian recipes thread I posted barbecued tofu -- that makes about 7-8 servings, but could easily be doubled if you use 2 pounds of tofu.  It's tasty and quick, and cheaper than a lot of the prepackaged meat substitutes. 

Also, it seems like common sense, but I always seem to forget about it Lips sealed -- if you make a large amount of something, keep in mind how much you'll actually want to eat.  It's hard to use things up in the 5 days (my rule of thumb, but it depends on the ingredients) before it goes bad.  It helps if you can freeze some.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My sewing message board: Sew What's Up
frenziedabjection
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2006 11:53:40 PM »

I survived through college on rice, veggies and tofu. I actually used my rice cooker to make most of my meals. Cook your rice like usual(in a rice cooker or on the stove), add fresh veggies(broccoli, asparagus, bok choy, spinach, mushrooms, etc, etc.), tofu, seasonings, etc halfway through cooking. The veggies will steam on top on the rice and you will end up with a well-balanced vegetarian meal. Double or triple the amounts and you'll have plenty for left overs for the next few days. Rice and beans are another good option that you can dress up with tortillas, cheese, salsa, etc. 

A great vegetarian recipe resource is www.vegweb.com.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bohemia
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2006 03:58:11 AM »

fatfreevegan.com has some absolutely delicious recipes.

Welcome to the ranks of the veggies, by the way! A great decision.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
r_matey
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2006 11:36:28 AM »

veganlunchbox.com has some GREAT ideas!  It's a really fun site and you'll find lots of portable stuff too if you're ever stuck on campus for a long time.  She is a little more involved with her cooking but maybe you could set a goal of making one of the more labor-intensive recipes once a month to hone your cooking skills?

I've heard good things about 'The Student's Vegetarian Cookbook' by Carole Raymond -- I haven't used it myself, but the recipes are supposed to be quick and easy!

My number one recommendation, though, is to go to the library and get stacks and stacks of cookbooks.  That way you can discover what you like in a cookbook and what kind of recipes you prefer before investing any money.  There are a few threads around here with veg cookbook recommendations.

Lots of soups and stews freeze well, as does chili -- and you can make just vats of those at a time.  Pancakes freeze well too, if you're a breakfast-anytime type.  Personally I love pancakes but it's such a pain in the butt to go through all the work for just yourself -- so freezing is a great option there.  You could also keep ingredients around to make big salads: your favorite greens (a salad spinner is great here -- you wash and spin dry and the greens keep longer and are ready to be used whenever), various nuts, fruit (dried or fresh -- I especially like apples or pears), beans (you can just keep cans in the cupboard -- garbanzos/chickpeas, kidneys, black, whatever you like!), your favorite veggies.  Toss them up fresh before each meal.  Commercial salad dressing keeps forever or you can make small amounts of your own -- again, you'll find tons of recipes online or in library cookbooks, and fresh dressing is worth a little extra prep time!

Cheesy  Good luck, and have fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ChloeZ

this is why graffitti rocks

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2006 01:12:22 PM »

Yay -- I second vegweb.com, it's great.

You can always cook a whole box of pasta and make a different quick sauce everynight.

Cous Cous is the easiest thing in the world to cook, fluff it up with your favorite veggies, top with tofu or gardenburger treats and you're good to go.

I roast potatoes all the time and have them with fake meat, you can roast a lot at once (sweat, russet, with carrots and mushrooms).

Or if you find a recipe you like you can always double or triple it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.knitmoi.blogspot.com

I really really really would love to have Interweave Knits Spring 2007 for those Eunny Chang entrelac socks. . . Does anyone want to swap for it?! I have yarn, I can sew, embroider, knit.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Kati Martin Reflects on Her Life - Happiness, Pain, and Loss
Dr. John Norcross on "Changeology"
"The Blessed" Book Trailer
"Seven Thousand Ways to Listen" Interview with Mark Nepo
Cyndi Lauper on Her Memoir
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...