A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,889
Currently Running With Scissors:
714 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: heat/ cold pack rice pillows!  (Read 22948 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

thixle
« on: December 25, 2003 01:58:28 PM »

These were a big hit today at Christmas! You can make the covers out of plain material (as I did) and paint designs, or use a fancy fabric!

Here are the ones I made:

And, my favorite (Yes, it is "Amy Brown" inspired, and hopefully, I haven't infringed on the copyright-- not selling):
THIS ROCKS   Logged
missy
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2003 03:27:34 PM »

i got one of these today too! mine is filled with rice, what did you fill yours with? Wink can you do a cold pack by putting it in the freezer? i only knew about the microwave trick. that is great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thixle
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2003 03:42:59 PM »

Yup, mine were rice (with cinnamon for yummy smells)!

I have one that I keep in the freezer-- that way it's cold in case of emergencies (breaks, sprains, and bruises).  And from freezer to microwave it only takes about 2 minutes to get good and toasty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
singtotheskies

I, too, taste like chicken

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2003 04:23:23 PM »

wow! Shocked those are uber cute. I like the material. You said you painted it? It looks really good. HMMM...I wonder if maybe some sort of scent could be added to make it smell yummy when you heat it up??(mabee lavender or something) Great job!!
~
P.S. I've been lurking for awhile but just joined... I love this site! I recently discovered this place + glitter so i am still absorbing the shock of so many smart crafty ppl.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.
comfits
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2003 09:58:36 PM »

i was wondering if anyone has ever tried different things to put inside??  my friend has one made w/ corn (which i thought was kinda funny cuz she's from iowa).

thixle, i love your pillows!!  awesome job.  i like the "you should try this" one.  very funny  Grin  plus, i've never seen them w/ a pillow cover.  cool idea.  i'll have to give one of these a shot!!  thank you.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
creatingme
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2003 07:06:24 AM »

I put flaxseed and lavander in mine.  It's good for headaches.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thewalrusisme
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2003 07:24:47 AM »

these are great!! i got one of those homemade heat/cold packs a couple years back.....but god it smelled nasty... was full of herbs that were supposed to have an aromatherapy affect i guess  Tongue  but the rice..maybe with something like cinnamon mixed in sounds a lot more happy  Kiss  and  these things are so expensive, yet so easy to make...i know what my christmas craft will be next year!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Art is why I get up in the morning.  My definition ends there.  It doesn't seem fair that I'm living for something I can't even define." ~ A.Difranco
thewalrusisme
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2003 07:30:54 AM »

i just thought...on the sock snowman thread they were talking about weevels?? invading the rice.. or growing in them [i dont quite get the whole situation]  but...what could u do from not having weevels in the hot/cold packs??  they suggested the silica packs from new shoes, but i dont think u could do that with something u microwave??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Art is why I get up in the morning.  My definition ends there.  It doesn't seem fair that I'm living for something I can't even define." ~ A.Difranco
thixle
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2003 01:39:19 PM »

"what could u do from not having weevels in the hot/cold packs??"

I dried the rice out in the oven (low, low, temp.)... I've done these before and never had a problem with bugs.

oh, I know this from raising exotic birds-- Most of the time, when bugs get into your dry goods (flour, rice, oatmeal, etc.) it is because it already contains larva or eggs.  Yuck, disgusting to think about... or if it comes in contact with contaminated dry goods. So, I just pop mine in the oven on a cookie sheet, which takes out all moisture and kills any eggs or larva. *shudders*

PS-- I have a friend who makes them with dry "soup bean" mix. There was a huge thread going at glitter about different things to put in the heat/ cold packs... http://discuss.gromco.com/mwforum/topic_show.pl?id=36318#396010
http://discuss.gromco.com/mwforum/topic_show.pl?id=35813#390797
http://discuss.gromco.com/mwforum/topic_show.pl?id=36171#394216
« Last Edit: December 26, 2003 01:52:59 PM by thixle » THIS ROCKS   Logged
thewalrusisme
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2003 02:01:29 PM »

wow, thanks for the input thixle
and for the links, altho i would get so overwhelmed if i tried to get into glitter   Wink my minds already churning... rice, flaxseed, buckwheat hulls?  Huh  so many ideas in my head

i think ill just stick to cooking the rice some...altho now im worried about what they mentioned about a "ricey"  smell....bleh..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Ricki Lake Discusses Her Audiobook, Never Say Never
4 Strange Yet Effective Exercises by A.J. Jacobs
17 DAY DIET: How to Be Bikini-Ready For Summer
The Man Who Changed the American Food Culture
Learn How to Draw Neil Flambé
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...