A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,042
Currently Running With Scissors:
557 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Critter holder - for a ferret? Help! (Also: Vogue 8015)  (Read 2494 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MotorCityPinup

Daughter of the Reagan Revolution

View Profile WWW
« on: September 02, 2006 07:23:48 PM »

My sister has a cute ferret and would LOVE a carrier for him that she can use to bring him out and about with her.  She wants a purse-like one that's attractive, not ugly and bulky. The girl  would like it to have pockets, too, so she can put his treats, leash, & so forth in it, and maybe her car keys.  I was thinking I could do that and make her a matching wristlet...

Now, JoAnn's had all Vogue patterns on sale today, and I stumbled a cross a pet carrier one, #8015:

http://store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bin/voguepatterns/shop.cgi?s.item.V8015=x&TI=20017&page=2

I think something like B would work, but it needs to be completely closed at the top.  I was thinking maybe tabs at the top that would snap, or maybe tabs that would be affixed with a large button.  Any other ideas?  Has anyone else made a ferret carrier?  I'd love to have this for her as a Christmas gift. 

Thanks!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pretty/Modest: Serving up yummy indie fashion: modest can indeed be chic and lovely.

Liberty Images
amaerin
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006 01:20:13 PM »

Our current favorite ferret carrier was purchased at Target as a small dog carrier, but it's given me lots of ideas and I'm planning to make one in the near future.  Here's the link to the one we have:

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=br_1_9/601-5155215-7176125?%5Fencoding=UTF8&frombrowse=1&asin=B000EFIN1E

When I make mine, I'm planning on a messenger type bag, with a mesh fabric panel in front.  Like the bag we currently have, I want a flap that fully covers the mesh and velcros down or wraps up out of the way.  Sometimes when you're out and about you don't want to have to explain the adorable little noses poking out of your bag to everyone you meet.  The grommets in the Target bag are a great idea for added ventilation when the flap's down.  I also like that the bag is wider at the base and tapers up towards the top; it helps the bottom stay flat and rigid enough to allow for some scampering, but makes a nice comfy hammock effect for sleeping.  A removable, washable bottom pad that velcros or snaps to the bottom of the bag is also nice.  To seal it, a zipper is a must.  Ferrets are sneaky and any sort of snaps or buttons aren't going to hold a determined fuzzy for long.  Some commercial ones velcro, but they have a harness clip inside so the critter stays put.  I personally don't like the injury potential of that, so I think a zipper is preferable.  Finally, a nice padded, adjustable strap would be a blessing.  The current bag is just a plain webbing strap, and it gets pretty uncomfortable.  Another thing I'm considering is a set of adjustable loops with clips or snaps on one side of the inside of the bag for a leakproof water bottle, for longer trips out.

That's all I can think of at the moment... you might take a look at the commercially available ones here for ideas:

http://www.ferretdepot.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=2Carriers

Let me know if you decide to make one, and be sure to share pictures!  Hope that helps a bit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gammerus

Optimus prime owns you

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008 11:11:17 PM »

My ferret hated all of the normal carriers, but for some reason loves being in a purse (hammock like?)  So I whipped up this hobo-esque bag that she loves. She goes nuts if she can't stick her head out so It is a good idea to strap them in by their harness if you can.  But a comfy bag is great for walks or short trips.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2008 11:11:46 PM by gammerus » THIS ROCKS   Logged

lylmousy
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008 07:06:52 AM »

I think that is the cutest picture. Great Idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only exceptionally rational people can afford to be absurd.
PuppyHero
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008 12:00:17 PM »

I made a ferret sling with cuddle fur.  She loves it. its super colorfull too.

http://www.craftster.org/pictures/showphoto.php?photo=148588&size=big&cat=&ppuser=141736
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sillybowtie
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008 08:39:01 AM »

I like the idea of making the cage from the vogue pattern but the pattern may be too complicated. At Target they have a lot of different bags for dogs.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009 12:48:09 PM »

this is an old post but I thought I'd comment. When I got my ferret I was given a great collapsible carrier for Christmas. Tachi went all over with me and loved to explore new places. I took her to a fair and was told that ferrets weren't aloud in that area(not my area) and to put her up.
so just be careful where you tote your ferrets! I could have had the cops called on me for having an illegal animal!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Daal
How to Make Indian Lentil Stew
How to Make Dosas with Lentils and Rice
How to Make Eel Sauce
How To Make Egg Drop Soup
Latest Blog Articles
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain
Here Kitty, Kitty!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...