A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,709
Currently Running With Scissors:
650 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Taking apart a Clock -- how?  (Read 874 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lil_abi
« on: September 02, 2006 05:50:43 PM »

YAY!

So my fiancé and I somewhat successfully made two record clocks tonight, though we don't have AA batteries, so we don't know for sure.   The kits, from Walnut Hollow, were only $5 from Wal-mart, but I don't like to patronize Wal-mart.  They're $8 at Jo-Ann, and I don't like to be ripped off either.  SO, I'm contemplating buying the $2.99 wall clock from Ikea and taking it apart. 

Is it hard to deconstruct a clock? 

Is it work the aggravation? 

Will it work again when I'm done?

Any tips on doing this?  HELP!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mama to baby twins.  Frantic crafter while they nap!

My blog: http://SLiPsofthetongue.wordpress.com

DH's humorous and often offensive blog: http://mymasonicapron.blogspot.com
lil_abi
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2006 02:20:40 PM »

I did it!

I went to Ikea (since clockworks are $6 at Michael's, without numbers, no less!) and purchased the last four cheapy $1.99 wall clocks on display.  They were totally the last four, so much so that they were broken.  Two had the second hand popped off, one had loose-goosey hands, and three of the four had cracked faces.  So after much running from cashier to As-Is to manager to Home Organization to Rugs to computer guy to intercom back to As-Is and finally cashier. 

The end result:

Four (4) $1.99 Ikea clocks for $0.59 each.  (It says they're $2.99 each on the website.  It also says they come in blue.  I only saw four broken ones in white.)

It was SO easy to pull them apart, I even let Mr. Fiancé do one.  Now I have four reconstructed sets of clockworks and hands for a fraction of what it would have cost to buy them from Walnut Hollow.

Anyone else feeling ripped off? 

I'm going back for more.  My project is to make customized LP clocks for each person who has helped with my wedding planning gratis, like the musicians, graphic designer friend, and the woman making my petticoat. 

YAY! Triumph for the everyday crafter proletariat!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MoonLightbliss33

Knitting Love <3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2006 02:27:12 PM »

i cant wait to see the finished clocks =]
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jamyjamm
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2006 02:36:36 PM »

haha. those are the kind of clocks we have at my house. and either their broken or just need new batteries.. eitherway i havent replaced the batteries. but thanks for giving me an idea of messing around with the clocks <3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

back and forth.
FOREVER.
VexedLittleNeko
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2006 11:49:05 AM »

I'm actually trying to take apart a old dollar store clock so i can make my boyfriend a clock and I can't get it apart for the life of me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://vexeddreams.blogspot.com/

I would like to take part in a personal swap or a swap thats allows newbies sometime. I have yet to be part of one.
ruby_soho

That's what she said.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2006 11:51:26 AM »

lil_abi, maybe you could go into a little more detail about how you got your clocks apart?  i've had trouble getting this type of clock into pieces in the past...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i care about you a homemade oven mitt's worth.
Fiasco
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2006 01:40:53 PM »

I don't think mine came from Ikea, but have had numerous success with what looks like the same, bottom of the line AA wall clock. The only snag I've run into, and this was only 20% of thye time, and then easily remedied, was getting the clear plastic cover off the front. Those two (or sometimes 3) plastic tabs on the back break once in a while when squeezing them in.It seems like blow drying it first would make it less brittle, but I haven't treid that trick with a clock.

The great part about clocks, if you want to put the works onto a whole ne homade face, is you then have this awesome round frame and cover assembly ready for whatever
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Make all day, brake all night
lil_abi
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2006 07:26:55 AM »

Okay, more detail.

The hardest party was prying off the plexiglass outside.  I used some sort of prying tool to get the tabs out.  I think there were three tabs, and I think a knife or screwdriver or dextrous thumbnail helped.  Then I scooted the plexiglass part off.  Next, I pulled off the hands one at a time.  The Ikea clocks are really easy to do this with.  Hands off.  Then I pried out the tabs holding the battery compartment in.  Eh voila!  The only problem I'm having now is getting the battery compartment to stick in the new clock I made, since I don't have plastic tabs.  I'm trying various types of glue.  My clocks are almost done (I have 6 made!), so pics will be forthcoming!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fiasco
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2006 10:39:36 PM »

My most recent clock was nice and was shaped with lots of surface area to facilitate gluing on the new face. White glue failed and wood glue worked, but of course do whatever you've had success with before.
Seems the best clocks to customize are the ones that have the hanging hole on the actual clock part, and have the threaded stalk where the hands go, so a nut can afix the face to clock.
As far as the clear plastic tabs go, I've used clear tape to replace up to one (of three) of the originals. It works, but is kind of shaky like you don't want to juggle the clock when you're done with it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Make all day, brake all night
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Creative Play Date Activities
Make Your Pumpkin "Two Faced" to Cast Images
How to Use Leftovers Wisely
How to Make Unique Handmade Gifts
How to Do an Orchid and Cactus Arrangement
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...