A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,492
Currently Running With Scissors:
669 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: soften Red Heart yarn?  (Read 11056 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rhiandmoi
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2006 10:30:09 AM »

If you wash the FO in a heavy agitation load like with just it and a pair of jeans that goes a long way to softening it. You are basically thrashing the heck out of it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KatintheCappello
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2006 12:06:26 AM »

lol thanks guys!

everyone keeps suggesting simply soft but we don't have it around here. =(  It's either Red Heart, Lion Brand or really super nice and REALLY super expensive handspun local yarns.

so I'm thinking cheapo $ store fabric softener in a spray botter and a few runs through the wash? Or should I splurge for nice softener?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Katarina's Closet - Custom Crochet and Craft shop
nataleeza
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2006 01:51:15 AM »

What I tend to do with the blankets I crochet (I always make them out of acrylic, ppl can't be trusted to treat your lovingly handmade stuff properly!) is to get the iron, set it to steam, then steam the heck out of it.  Make sure you don't touch the yarn as it will melt.

But, if you pass lots of steam over it a few times, it softens, and goes a bit shiny.  Try it on a swatch if it worries you, but I discovered it by accident, and I've done it ever since.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A failure is not always a mistake, it may simply be the best one can do under the circumstances. The real mistake is to stop trying.
~ B. F. Skinner
jmkelsey
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2006 06:16:07 AM »

Think about maybe return some of the red heart yarn, then go to Wal-mart and buy "Caron Simply Soft",  yarn.  They are comparable in price but incomparable in cuddliness.  Otherwise crochet with looser stitches.  This will add flexibility to the end product.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
givemegrace

She's electric!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2006 11:29:58 PM »

I'm a fan of Caron's Simply Soft, as well.  It's perfect for hats, but it tends to spilt after a lot of wear.  I absolutely love TLC Essentials for scarves.  It's a soft, almost fluffly acrylic and it runs anywhere from two to three dollars.  It comes in beautiful colors, too. 

This probably isn't the best way to treat a handmade scarf or hat, but after handwashing any item I make from a rougher-feeling yarn I soak it in warm water and liquid fabric softener for about ten minutes.  (The fabric softener breaks down cotton over time, and I'm guessing it does the same with acrylics.)  I rinse the item well and hang it to dry or put it in one of those mesh laundry bags and stick it in the dryer on delicate or gentle. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PlayItGeorge
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2006 09:53:58 AM »

Might I suggest ordering online?  You can get some really cheap stuff online particularly at smileysyarns.com.  It's a minimum of $40/order...but $40 there will buy you enough yarn to last a year or two.  There are other websites that offer low end yarns for cheap and sometimes you'll come across free shipping.

Also might want to sign up for JOann.com.  You can buy online from them and they often have online coupon specials and free shipping specials.  They have more yarn available online than in the store in my experience.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

8littlepaws.wordpress.com
diosaperdida
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2006 01:09:12 PM »

I sometimes brush it..it makes it kind of mohair-like....and alot softer.
You have to use a "regular" brush...not a vent type brush. One with bristles is what I mean. It really does help..and bright colors soften in yummy ways.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.diosaperdida.net  - My website
http://knittingbare.blogspot.com/ painting, knitting, whatever...it's all art
http://painting.craftgossip.com/  decorative painting techniques, projects and product info.
jeanniepep
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2006 07:43:18 AM »

I'm with you George, try shopping online!  You can often find good discounts.  I've bought huge batches of Lion Homespun (my favorite) on Ebay, enough for an afghan and all the same dye lot, for a fraction of the per-skein price at Walmart or Joann.  I didn't think the Caron Simply Soft was such a good deal online, simply because it is so cheap in person the shipping costs take it up too high.  It is super sweet yarn though!  My Simply Soft afghan is my hands-down favorite.  Sooooo soft and really heavy.

Mary Maxim online has fantastic sales sometimes too, as does Herrschners (sp?).  Google them to find their sites, then look for clearance and sale links.  They often have really high-end stuff on clearance.

Another good place to shop, in my experience, is garage sales and Goodwill!  You never know when some knitter/crocheter is going to give up the hobby, or abandon a project that they stocked up for and never made.  You can often find stuff SUPER CHEAP that way.  It's harder to find enough in one color, so you have to be creative with patterns.  It's a bit of an exciting treasure hunt though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
goldencrafter
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2006 08:59:35 AM »

lol thanks guys!

everyone keeps suggesting simply soft but we don't have it around here. =(  It's either Red Heart, Lion Brand or really super nice and REALLY super expensive handspun local yarns.

so I'm thinking cheapo $ store fabric softener in a spray botter and a few runs through the wash? Or should I splurge for nice softener?

I know your frustration, I too have to squeze every pennie dry. Use Red Heart Super Saver it won't kill anybody. While I have never tryed brushing it does sound like it would work best on a small project. I have just finished a round ripple and it was a little itchy so I put it in the washer with a couple of my daughters clothes (jeans would work too) and washed it. My daughter is alergic to liquid fabric softener so I don't use it, when it was done I then put it in the dryer with two dryer sheets and perfecto it's softer. Everytime you wash it try useing two dryer sheets I have done this for years and every afghan I have made with RH come out great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KatintheCappello
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2006 01:54:33 PM »

I know your frustration, I too have to squeze every pennie dry. Use Red Heart Super Saver it won't kill anybody. While I have never tryed brushing it does sound like it would work best on a small project. I have just finished a round ripple and it was a little itchy so I put it in the washer with a couple of my daughters clothes (jeans would work too) and washed it. My daughter is alergic to liquid fabric softener so I don't use it, when it was done I then put it in the dryer with two dryer sheets and perfecto it's softer. Everytime you wash it try useing two dryer sheets I have done this for years and every afghan I have made with RH come out great.

Thank you for actually reading the thread. =)
I will definitely try this!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Katarina's Closet - Custom Crochet and Craft shop
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Kristen Stewart Is the Best Dressed Woman of 2013
Personal Shoppers: No Longer Just For the Privileged
How to Deal With Love Handles
Underwear That Flatters Your Figure
Picking the Right Panties For Your Body
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...