A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,169
Currently Running With Scissors:
618 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: soften Red Heart yarn?  (Read 10967 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2006 05:00:54 PM »

Red Heart is one of my favorites - I am not a huuuuge fan of SSoft although I use it a lot too - Simply Soft does split faster and doesn't hold up nearly as well as SSaver does... granted, I do a lot of blankets and a lot of stuffed animals - it is just a more durable yarn in my opinion.

Try washing it - then put it in the dryer and bake the dickens out of it.  Steaming it will pretty much turn it into the soft stuff - which is just killed yarn... steamed that is... granted they do it for you... I won't use it for scarves though - if you have a lot of scarves already made up, sew them together and make a blanket - if they don't soften up...

I have never heard of brushing yarn... I am intrigued.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
BrightEyes_PR
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2006 05:32:48 PM »

lol thanks guys!

everyone keeps suggesting simply soft but we don't have it around here. =(  It's either Red Heart, Lion Brand or really super nice and REALLY super expensive handspun local yarns.

so I'm thinking cheapo $ store fabric softener in a spray botter and a few runs through the wash? Or should I splurge for nice softener?

I know what you mean.  Lucky you that you even HAVE Lion Brand.  I gotta buy on a budget and other stores carry yarn$ whose colors aren't me so I do the Walmart.  I don't really complain cause I love Walmart, BUT my Walmart carries Red Heart PERIOD.  It has these other yarns, the thinner type though in "baby" colors.  And it just started carrying normal sized softer yarn recently only available in black and in like a periwinkle.  So RHSS is the only one for me cause of the colors.  I'm doing the brimmed hat CAL and the color I chose was only in RHSS.  So, I'll also be doin the softener dipping once it's done.    Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vote for my 360 theme!!  http://my360theme.com/theme_detail.php?id=219

I never have an idle day,
New ideas come my way.
Don't know yet what I'll create,
But my imagination's great!
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2007 11:44:40 AM »

This thread is wonderful! I just made a crocheted critter with red heart (trying to use my stash) and he's sweet but not quite soft enough. Now I know what to do with him! He's going for a dip when I get home from work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aelita

Yes I am Goth.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2007 09:00:12 AM »

I just made two starghans for twin babies with RH and I washed them and dries them and they came out do soft. They were rough at first but after washing them they were so soft and they smelled so good even the grandmother noticed that when I gave them to her she just had to do the rubbing on your cheek thing with both blankets lol. So washing it will definately soften it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There will always be people who say mean words  because you are different, and sometimes their minds cannot be changed. There are many more people who do not judge others based on how they look or where they are from. THOSE are the people whose WORDS truly matter.

http://li-lis-page.blogspot.com
smg55039
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2007 08:38:28 PM »

What has worked for me, and what I don't reccomend for regular care, is to wash it (cold water, gentle) and dry it (on high) with fabric softener.

The end result is this super soft, limp fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rina
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2007 11:24:59 PM »

My problem with Red Heart SS is that it feels scratchy running through my fingers.  The feel is most of the reason I enjoy crocheting and knitting.  But I'd love to be able to use the stuff because the Long's near me carries every color.  Any ideas how I can soften it up before I crochet? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my yarncraft blog, RedCrochet.wordpress.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Best and Worst Beauty Trends of 2013
How To: A Punk Hairstyle You Can Easily Rock
Nicole Scherzinger Makeup Look Tutorial
8 Fashion Mistakes That Instantly Age You
January 2014 NewBeauty TestTube Reveal
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...