A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 304,764
Currently Running With Scissors:
774 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: soften Red Heart yarn?  (Read 11230 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

KatintheCappello
« on: September 02, 2006 08:21:22 AM »

Hello everyone!

I am a low-income student and restricted to generic, synthetic 'red heart' types of yarn right now to make my winter scarves. My problem is that they come out so starchy and scratchy, and I prefer to give gifts of soft lusciousness!!

What good methods do you use to make sub-par yarns more touchable, if any?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Katarina's Closet - Custom Crochet and Craft shop
Kiera
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2006 08:29:02 AM »

Red Heart Soft yarn (available at A.C. Moore, bigger JoAnn's, online, etc) is only a few cents more per skein than Super Saver and feels *much* better against skin. Caron Simply Soft feels pretty nice and is usually about the same price (or even less, sometimes) than Super Saver.

For stuff you've already made with RHSS, you can try liquid fabric softener.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2006 08:44:10 AM »

I would say wash it a couple of times.  The more you wash the Red Heart the softer it gets.  But the alternative yarns that start out softer are also good, and Red Heart (their TLC brand I think) Baby is also cheap, and if you get the solid colors, not the multi-colored, it is VERY soft.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
Tangerine_Dreams
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2006 08:46:56 AM »

Another vote for Caron Simply Soft, I rarely work with anything else now....Most places I've seen it have it cheaper (by about 15 cents) than RHSS.  Although, I was impressed with the softness of RH soft at first touch...so maybe I"ll try some of that next time as it seems that here RHS has a better color selection than Caron.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(`v)
`*..*
..*) .*)
(. (. . .`..~Jessica~
crochetfairy
~~YaRn FrEaK~~

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2006 09:12:46 AM »

i agree with what everyone says but if you have already made some scarves with redheart you could try brushing the scarf with a hair brush (one that hasn't been used of course) then throwing it in the washing machine. It works when I make mittens and softens the yarn up a bit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pm me if you want to do a personal swap

swap partners check out my wist http://www.wists.com/crochetfairy

www.yarnfreak.blogspot.com
DisneyFan
I Love Disney, My Husband Loves Shakira!

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2006 10:35:52 AM »

I'm a big fan of the Caron's Simply Soft, and at our local Walmart, a skein that has about 315 yards runs 2.07, which is a few cents more than Red Heart, but I like the feeling more.  I've seen HUGE selections of colors at Joanns, too, but they run a little higher.  The thing is, Joanns runs 40% off coupons a couple of times a month, so that can help bring the price down a bit.  I just finished a hat and scarf with a skein of the RH Soft and I have to say I like the quality of it--I had to frog the hat about 6 times to get what I wanted, and it didn't fuzz up or anything, but it is a little more expensive than caron.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I took up running so that I could eat more, not because it feels good.  haha
KatintheCappello
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2006 12:02:48 PM »

try brushing the scarf with a hair brush (one that hasn't been used of course) then throwing it in the washing machine.

thanks! this is what I was looking for. I'mm have to try it!
Of course I would get a similarly priced softer yarn but they aren't available where I live, that's the problem.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TurtleGrrrl

watch out for honu!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2006 08:34:28 PM »

wash it repeatedly!  for my first crochet project ever many moons ago, before i knew squat about yarns, I used RH super saver for a baby blanket for my cousin when she was born.  it saw a LOT of use so got washed quite a bit and eventually got really cozy & soft.  I still use it for some baby blankets b/c it's easy to wash & durable, b/c you know kids make messes!  I'll also throw my vote in for Caron Simply Soft, it's even softer than the RH soft, but I think it splits easier though (I say this b/c I just made a big baby blanket out of it recently - I make way too many baby blankets, people need to stop procreating!!!!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There are two sides to a trumpeter's personality.  There is the one that lives only to lay waste to the woodwinds and strings, leaving them lying blue and lifeless along the swath of destruction that is the trumpeter's fury.  And then there's the dark side.

http://www.wists.com/turtlegrrrl
chloe_hippy
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2006 06:43:01 AM »

i am making a queen sized psychedelic squares afghan(a knitting pattern) out of red heart super saver, great to know that i have a hope in H@ll of getting the blanket to soften up.

Carrie
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mmacker
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2006 09:40:48 AM »

I'd start by washing what you have, and use fabric softner (the liquid).  That helps, but after that I'd start using the Simply Soft by Carron, its cheap, its soft, and it comes in as many great colors as the Red Heart.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rhiandmoi
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2006 10:30:09 AM »

If you wash the FO in a heavy agitation load like with just it and a pair of jeans that goes a long way to softening it. You are basically thrashing the heck out of it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KatintheCappello
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2006 12:06:26 AM »

lol thanks guys!

everyone keeps suggesting simply soft but we don't have it around here. =(  It's either Red Heart, Lion Brand or really super nice and REALLY super expensive handspun local yarns.

so I'm thinking cheapo $ store fabric softener in a spray botter and a few runs through the wash? Or should I splurge for nice softener?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nataleeza
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2006 01:51:15 AM »

What I tend to do with the blankets I crochet (I always make them out of acrylic, ppl can't be trusted to treat your lovingly handmade stuff properly!) is to get the iron, set it to steam, then steam the heck out of it.  Make sure you don't touch the yarn as it will melt.

But, if you pass lots of steam over it a few times, it softens, and goes a bit shiny.  Try it on a swatch if it worries you, but I discovered it by accident, and I've done it ever since.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A failure is not always a mistake, it may simply be the best one can do under the circumstances. The real mistake is to stop trying.
~ B. F. Skinner
jmkelsey
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2006 06:16:07 AM »

Think about maybe return some of the red heart yarn, then go to Wal-mart and buy "Caron Simply Soft",  yarn.  They are comparable in price but incomparable in cuddliness.  Otherwise crochet with looser stitches.  This will add flexibility to the end product.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
givemegrace

She's electric!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2006 11:29:58 PM »

I'm a fan of Caron's Simply Soft, as well.  It's perfect for hats, but it tends to spilt after a lot of wear.  I absolutely love TLC Essentials for scarves.  It's a soft, almost fluffly acrylic and it runs anywhere from two to three dollars.  It comes in beautiful colors, too. 

This probably isn't the best way to treat a handmade scarf or hat, but after handwashing any item I make from a rougher-feeling yarn I soak it in warm water and liquid fabric softener for about ten minutes.  (The fabric softener breaks down cotton over time, and I'm guessing it does the same with acrylics.)  I rinse the item well and hang it to dry or put it in one of those mesh laundry bags and stick it in the dryer on delicate or gentle. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PlayItGeorge
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2006 09:53:58 AM »

Might I suggest ordering online?  You can get some really cheap stuff online particularly at smileysyarns.com.  It's a minimum of $40/order...but $40 there will buy you enough yarn to last a year or two.  There are other websites that offer low end yarns for cheap and sometimes you'll come across free shipping.

Also might want to sign up for JOann.com.  You can buy online from them and they often have online coupon specials and free shipping specials.  They have more yarn available online than in the store in my experience.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

8littlepaws.wordpress.com
diosaperdida
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2006 01:09:12 PM »

I sometimes brush it..it makes it kind of mohair-like....and alot softer.
You have to use a "regular" brush...not a vent type brush. One with bristles is what I mean. It really does help..and bright colors soften in yummy ways.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.diosaperdida.net  - My website
http://knittingbare.blogspot.com/ painting, knitting, whatever...it's all art
http://painting.craftgossip.com/  decorative painting techniques, projects and product info.
jeanniepep
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2006 07:43:18 AM »

I'm with you George, try shopping online!  You can often find good discounts.  I've bought huge batches of Lion Homespun (my favorite) on Ebay, enough for an afghan and all the same dye lot, for a fraction of the per-skein price at Walmart or Joann.  I didn't think the Caron Simply Soft was such a good deal online, simply because it is so cheap in person the shipping costs take it up too high.  It is super sweet yarn though!  My Simply Soft afghan is my hands-down favorite.  Sooooo soft and really heavy.

Mary Maxim online has fantastic sales sometimes too, as does Herrschners (sp?).  Google them to find their sites, then look for clearance and sale links.  They often have really high-end stuff on clearance.

Another good place to shop, in my experience, is garage sales and Goodwill!  You never know when some knitter/crocheter is going to give up the hobby, or abandon a project that they stocked up for and never made.  You can often find stuff SUPER CHEAP that way.  It's harder to find enough in one color, so you have to be creative with patterns.  It's a bit of an exciting treasure hunt though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
goldencrafter
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2006 08:59:35 AM »

lol thanks guys!

everyone keeps suggesting simply soft but we don't have it around here. =(  It's either Red Heart, Lion Brand or really super nice and REALLY super expensive handspun local yarns.

so I'm thinking cheapo $ store fabric softener in a spray botter and a few runs through the wash? Or should I splurge for nice softener?

I know your frustration, I too have to squeze every pennie dry. Use Red Heart Super Saver it won't kill anybody. While I have never tryed brushing it does sound like it would work best on a small project. I have just finished a round ripple and it was a little itchy so I put it in the washer with a couple of my daughters clothes (jeans would work too) and washed it. My daughter is alergic to liquid fabric softener so I don't use it, when it was done I then put it in the dryer with two dryer sheets and perfecto it's softer. Everytime you wash it try useing two dryer sheets I have done this for years and every afghan I have made with RH come out great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KatintheCappello
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2006 01:54:33 PM »

I know your frustration, I too have to squeze every pennie dry. Use Red Heart Super Saver it won't kill anybody. While I have never tryed brushing it does sound like it would work best on a small project. I have just finished a round ripple and it was a little itchy so I put it in the washer with a couple of my daughters clothes (jeans would work too) and washed it. My daughter is alergic to liquid fabric softener so I don't use it, when it was done I then put it in the dryer with two dryer sheets and perfecto it's softer. Everytime you wash it try useing two dryer sheets I have done this for years and every afghan I have made with RH come out great.

Thank you for actually reading the thread. =)
I will definitely try this!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2006 05:00:54 PM »

Red Heart is one of my favorites - I am not a huuuuge fan of SSoft although I use it a lot too - Simply Soft does split faster and doesn't hold up nearly as well as SSaver does... granted, I do a lot of blankets and a lot of stuffed animals - it is just a more durable yarn in my opinion.

Try washing it - then put it in the dryer and bake the dickens out of it.  Steaming it will pretty much turn it into the soft stuff - which is just killed yarn... steamed that is... granted they do it for you... I won't use it for scarves though - if you have a lot of scarves already made up, sew them together and make a blanket - if they don't soften up...

I have never heard of brushing yarn... I am intrigued.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
BrightEyes_PR
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2006 05:32:48 PM »

lol thanks guys!

I know what you mean.  Lucky you that you even HAVE Lion Brand.  I gotta buy on a budget and other stores carry yarn$ whose colors aren't me so I do the Walmart.  I don't really complain cause I love Walmart, BUT my Walmart carries Red Heart PERIOD.  It has these other yarns, the thinner type though in "baby" colors.  And it just started carrying normal sized softer yarn recently only available in black and in like a periwinkle.  So RHSS is the only one for me cause of the colors.  I'm doing the brimmed hat CAL and the color I chose was only in RHSS.  So, I'll also be doin the softener dipping once it's done.    Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vote for my 360 theme!!  http://my360theme.com/theme_detail.php?id=219

I never have an idle day,
New ideas come my way.
Don't know yet what I'll create,
But my imagination's great!
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2007 11:44:40 AM »

This thread is wonderful! I just made a crocheted critter with red heart (trying to use my stash) and he's sweet but not quite soft enough. Now I know what to do with him! He's going for a dip when I get home from work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aelita

Yes I am Goth.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2007 09:00:12 AM »

I just made two starghans for twin babies with RH and I washed them and dries them and they came out do soft. They were rough at first but after washing them they were so soft and they smelled so good even the grandmother noticed that when I gave them to her she just had to do the rubbing on your cheek thing with both blankets lol. So washing it will definately soften it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There will always be people who say mean words  because you are different, and sometimes their minds cannot be changed. There are many more people who do not judge others based on how they look or where they are from. THOSE are the people whose WORDS truly matter.

http://li-lis-page.blogspot.com
smg55039
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2007 08:38:28 PM »

What has worked for me, and what I don't reccomend for regular care, is to wash it (cold water, gentle) and dry it (on high) with fabric softener.

The end result is this super soft, limp fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rina
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2007 11:24:59 PM »

My problem with Red Heart SS is that it feels scratchy running through my fingers.  The feel is most of the reason I enjoy crocheting and knitting.  But I'd love to be able to use the stuff because the Long's near me carries every color.  Any ideas how I can soften it up before I crochet? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my yarncraft blog, RedCrochet.wordpress.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Honey Brisket Sloppy Joes with Herb Kentucky Lime Salad
How to Make Rhubarbecue Ribs
How to Make a Tuna Salad Sandwich
How to Make Creamy Chicken Skillet with Loaded Potatoes
Taco Bell President Withholds Breakfast From Canada
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...