A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 299,189
Currently Running With Scissors:
643 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: soften Red Heart yarn?  (Read 11539 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

KatintheCappello
« on: September 02, 2006 08:21:22 AM »

Hello everyone!

I am a low-income student and restricted to generic, synthetic 'red heart' types of yarn right now to make my winter scarves. My problem is that they come out so starchy and scratchy, and I prefer to give gifts of soft lusciousness!!

What good methods do you use to make sub-par yarns more touchable, if any?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Katarina's Closet - Custom Crochet and Craft shop
Kiera
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2006 08:29:02 AM »

Red Heart Soft yarn (available at A.C. Moore, bigger JoAnn's, online, etc) is only a few cents more per skein than Super Saver and feels *much* better against skin. Caron Simply Soft feels pretty nice and is usually about the same price (or even less, sometimes) than Super Saver.

For stuff you've already made with RHSS, you can try liquid fabric softener.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2006 08:44:10 AM »

I would say wash it a couple of times.  The more you wash the Red Heart the softer it gets.  But the alternative yarns that start out softer are also good, and Red Heart (their TLC brand I think) Baby is also cheap, and if you get the solid colors, not the multi-colored, it is VERY soft.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
Tangerine_Dreams
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2006 08:46:56 AM »

Another vote for Caron Simply Soft, I rarely work with anything else now....Most places I've seen it have it cheaper (by about 15 cents) than RHSS.  Although, I was impressed with the softness of RH soft at first touch...so maybe I"ll try some of that next time as it seems that here RHS has a better color selection than Caron.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(`v)
`*..*
..*) .*)
(. (. . .`..~Jessica~
crochetfairy
~~YaRn FrEaK~~

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2006 09:12:46 AM »

i agree with what everyone says but if you have already made some scarves with redheart you could try brushing the scarf with a hair brush (one that hasn't been used of course) then throwing it in the washing machine. It works when I make mittens and softens the yarn up a bit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pm me if you want to do a personal swap

swap partners check out my wist http://www.wists.com/crochetfairy

www.yarnfreak.blogspot.com
DisneyFan
I Love Disney, My Husband Loves Shakira!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2006 10:35:52 AM »

I'm a big fan of the Caron's Simply Soft, and at our local Walmart, a skein that has about 315 yards runs 2.07, which is a few cents more than Red Heart, but I like the feeling more.  I've seen HUGE selections of colors at Joanns, too, but they run a little higher.  The thing is, Joanns runs 40% off coupons a couple of times a month, so that can help bring the price down a bit.  I just finished a hat and scarf with a skein of the RH Soft and I have to say I like the quality of it--I had to frog the hat about 6 times to get what I wanted, and it didn't fuzz up or anything, but it is a little more expensive than caron.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I took up running so that I could eat more, not because it feels good.  haha
KatintheCappello
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2006 12:02:48 PM »

try brushing the scarf with a hair brush (one that hasn't been used of course) then throwing it in the washing machine.

thanks! this is what I was looking for. I'mm have to try it!
Of course I would get a similarly priced softer yarn but they aren't available where I live, that's the problem.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Katarina's Closet - Custom Crochet and Craft shop
TurtleGrrrl

watch out for honu!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2006 08:34:28 PM »

wash it repeatedly!  for my first crochet project ever many moons ago, before i knew squat about yarns, I used RH super saver for a baby blanket for my cousin when she was born.  it saw a LOT of use so got washed quite a bit and eventually got really cozy & soft.  I still use it for some baby blankets b/c it's easy to wash & durable, b/c you know kids make messes!  I'll also throw my vote in for Caron Simply Soft, it's even softer than the RH soft, but I think it splits easier though (I say this b/c I just made a big baby blanket out of it recently - I make way too many baby blankets, people need to stop procreating!!!!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There are two sides to a trumpeter's personality.  There is the one that lives only to lay waste to the woodwinds and strings, leaving them lying blue and lifeless along the swath of destruction that is the trumpeter's fury.  And then there's the dark side.

http://www.wists.com/turtlegrrrl
chloe_hippy
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2006 06:43:01 AM »

i am making a queen sized psychedelic squares afghan(a knitting pattern) out of red heart super saver, great to know that i have a hope in H@ll of getting the blanket to soften up.

Carrie
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mmacker
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2006 09:40:48 AM »

I'd start by washing what you have, and use fabric softner (the liquid).  That helps, but after that I'd start using the Simply Soft by Carron, its cheap, its soft, and it comes in as many great colors as the Red Heart.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Chicken Nuggets
How to Make Organic Burgers
Grilled Steak Salad with Honey Shallot Raspberry Vinaigrette
Cooking With Chloe, Episode 3
How to Make Honey Glazed Winter Squash
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...