A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,214
Currently Running With Scissors:
544 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Felted Triangle Bag- yay!  (Read 1728 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

vpop
« on: September 01, 2006 04:51:57 PM »

Just finished this one up!

For scale, so you can see how big it is:

Pattern used: Pick Up Sticks Triangle Bag, purchased at Jimmy Beans
Yarn used: Cascade 220, Charcoal and Ballerina Pink, 2 skeins each

I only had a few issues with it, the first being that it took 4 or 5 (I lost count) times through the wash for the pink part to lose its stitch definition.  The grey part was nice and fuzzy by the second cycle, and actually was getting icky and sheddy the more times I ran it through the wash.  You can actually still see some stitch definition in the pink part, but I just lost my patience and thought, "eh, good enough."  I think that it could've taken so long because it was a light color and light colors take longer to felt, or it was because it was knit relatively tightly (2 strands on size 10 needles).

The second issue I had was doing the decorative stitching- running a tapestry needle through thick, felted fabric hurt my fingers after awhile!  I had to take a break inbetween doing the band and straps because I think my fingers developed calluses from all the tugging and pushing.  Tongue

All in all, it was an easy and straightforward pattern, and I'm pleased with how it turned out!

(Edited to fix the weird proportions of the 2nd pic)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2006 05:37:56 PM by vpop » THIS ROCKS   Logged
juliesnider

So excited to be a month old!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006 04:54:10 PM »

OMG I'm in LOVE with that!  I'm addicted to felted bags, but that may be one of my favs - I am definitely going to buy that pattern!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"When I'm old I don't want them to say of me, 'She's so charming.'  I want them to say, 'Be careful, I think she's armed.'" - G. Stoddart
kelliz
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006 05:31:44 PM »

Very very cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mosquito
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006 06:13:51 PM »

Lovely! I love the colors.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Calysa
I heart Anegada

~ will craft for peanuts ~

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2006 05:30:15 AM »

It's very cute, and the size is perfect!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistake?  No... it's an Unexpected Design Element.  I put it there on purpose.  *ahem*
Nancmich
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2006 06:24:38 AM »

Oh that is soooo cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elijor
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2006 07:38:56 AM »

Very nice purse. I love the color combo even if it was a hassle to felt.

The second issue I had was doing the decorative stitching- running a tapestry needle through thick, felted fabric hurt my fingers after awhile! 

Tapestry needles have a blunt tip so the yarn goes between the stitches, which is difficult on a felted wool piece. Chenille needles come in the same sizes as tapestry needles but they have a sharp tip. I think they would work better in this application.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rebeldaisy
here's the yadda yadda yadda and the blah blah blah

Some where between what you want and what you need

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2006 09:17:04 AM »

I have this pattern and want to make it from some of my stash yarn.  Could you please tell me how much of the CC yarn you used?  I'm pretty sure it calls for two skeins (I think...), but did you use all of those two skeins?  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vpop
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2006 09:39:42 AM »

Thanks for all the kind words, everyone!  Cheesy

elijor- Ah, I didn't know about chenille needles, those sound perfect!  I actually went through all my needles trying to find one that was sharp *and* had a wide enough eye for the yarn, but the only one I had that fit the yarn was my good ol' tapestry needle.  I was too impatient to go to the store and look for a better needle, so I tried to make do, and my fingers paid the price.  But thanks for the info, I'll keep my eye out for chenille needles next time I go to the store!

rebeldaisy- I'm guesstimating I used *barely* over 1 skein of the CC, so maybe 230-250 yards?  (Which is fine with me, because I just bought craftyalien's Swat Team pattern, so I'll be making a couple of charcoal kitties soon!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mlcrays
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2006 11:42:05 AM »

I love your bag.  I have also made this bag, but I was to lazy to do the decorative stitching and the flower, so mine is only a triangle.  I love the colors that you use. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Easy No-Bake Ice Cream Cake Recipe
Key Lime Tart Recipe
How to Make Churro Ice Cream Sandwiches
How to Make Chocolate-Granola Drop Cookies
How to Make Lemon Yogurt Cupcakes With Fresh Raspberry Frosting
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Molded Hot Glue
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...