A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 299,132
Currently Running With Scissors:
667 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Feltalong #8 Needle felting over a 3D form - Hat  (Read 39163 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Jane Doe
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #60 on: September 30, 2006 07:21:30 PM »

I don't have time at the moment to join this feltalong, but I wanted to say what a great tutorial this is. Thank you GraceO for all the effort, time and love you put into it!

Hear hear!  Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

GraceOblivious

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: October 01, 2006 05:23:04 AM »

Hi everyone, am just back from a 3 day Quilt show - so catching up on responses.  Some great progress on hats and some concerns, it appears.  Will answer as best I can.

Radal and LtGreat - Fiber not felting well.  Hmm so Alpaca seems to be less scaly hair shafts than many wools if it is not felting quickly and firmly.  Radal it seems your idea of layering or blending with a firmer and faster felting wool might work.   While Alpaca is outside my realm, have blended superwash merino roving with batt- when there was lots of superwash to a bit of batt, was never able to control the shape as much as desired - it made a looser but very soft hat.  When there was lots of batt forming a base then covering it with the superwash roving, the shape was more controlable.  If you have similar color good felting roving to mix with the alpaca using carders or pet brushes, that might work too.  You may also find going to a smaller diameter hat form helps. If Alpaca wet felts nicely, another option may be to wet felt it after developing the basic shape.  Anyone with experience on that? Please comment and suggest.

LtG, Noise when using plastic bag to cover foam form.  One can definitely do the process without the plastic bag, especially those such as yourself with the higher density purchased hat forms.  Also hope your babe is feeling better today.

RecycleMicol, Stumped on Design  Are you uncomfortable with free form work?  If so try using a quilting template - feather, rope, wave or a Celtic pattern if you want a round the hat design, using roving or yarn.

Another thing is to take a basic shape cookie cutter such as a flower or star and use the cookie cutter as a template make some NF appliques

and then NF those into the hat in a set or as a pattern around the hat and connect the shapes with straight or wavy lines
like this

You can also use other ribbon and felt shapes -  this one has a velvet ribbon around the hat and circle of fulled red wool sewn into flowers.

Classic felt designs such as the waves on this hat (these larger designs do tighten the hat considerably)

Lay things on top of the hat, see what you like, play with it.  Here is a group of several more designs - stripe winding over the top of the hat with a vintage buckle sewn into one side and feathers sticking out of it, pink is plain but decorated with a hat pin, brown is called "Loon's nest" fringe and then vintage mink flowers, Red is just laying on curly locks and felting them down then adding a medallion made of vintage buttons and new feathers.

One can add 3D shapes such as the roses on this hat

Some people use yarn wrapped around the hat with out felting it down.

Some sprinkle dots or bits of roving all over the hat and needle those in place.

OK that exhausts my ideas at this moment.  Anyone else with ideas of designs or where to get inspiration for hat designs?

Caedara and Jane Doe - Awww, you all are so sweet.  Thanks heaps!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2006 05:35:00 AM by GraceOblivious » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Etsy http://www.feltsewcrafty.etsy.com
Zibbet http://www.zibbet.com/aTranquilNook
Blog http://aTranquilNook.blogspot.com/
Oh how I love to Sew and Make felt
AliBeachGrl
« Reply #62 on: October 01, 2006 06:25:20 AM »

Wow...Those are some lovely hats. Cheesy

I especially like the white with the purplish waves!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

There are no rules of architecture for a castle in the clouds.
~Gilbert K. Chesterton
OriginalYouth
Random Snarky Crafted Goodness!

Snarkier than Thou...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #63 on: October 01, 2006 07:29:17 AM »

Those hats are AMAZING!!!!

I don't know when I would get the chance to wear something so hip and glam, but they are pretty for sure!  The wave design is my favorite...simple, classic, but not too feminine.  I'm still too much of a hippy to get away with the pretty feathered ones!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2006 07:48:03 AM by OriginalYouth » THIS ROCKS   Logged

RecycleMicol
Phasing out my swaps for now. I'll swap again later!

Use it up, Wear it out, Make it do or do without!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: October 01, 2006 07:32:47 AM »

(Edited to make sense!)

Oh, those are really inspiring!  I think it's the thought of committing to one design...ya know?  I've spent probably 5 hours total punching my hat (I only have those three workhorse needles that I ran through a big button to hold them together and one finishing needle to work with) and I find it hard to commit to one embellishment because I don't know when I'll ever make a hat for MYSELF again, ya know?

My friend was thrilled that I was keeping it for myself because she knows that I've always given my crafts away in the past.  So I thought maybe just a hat pin would be nice...or I like the idea of the flowers, brooches and such that I can pin on and take off when get tired of them.  Maybe I should make up several 'sprays' of feathers as well and attach them to ribbon. I can add Velcro or a pin to the ribbon and swap them out as desired.

All good ideas!

Thanks for the hat pics...I'm sure I'll make something similar.

Hugs,
RM
« Last Edit: October 01, 2006 07:46:07 AM by RecycleMicol » THIS ROCKS   Logged

For my Free Knitting Pattern for Hand Springs Fingerless Mitts:

View My Craft Blog

I'm finally on RAVELRY!  User ID RecycleMicol
GraceOblivious

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: October 01, 2006 07:48:49 AM »

Oh Rm - you are so welcome.  Really like your idea of several  pinable hat brooches and removable hat bands/ribbons - makes the one hat so very versatile.  It is wonderful you are keeping something for yourself. Smiley

Oh my - using a button to space the needles and make a multiple needle punch holder- that is awesome.  I love how you come up with such creative tool ideas.  Any chance you might show us a picture of your button punch?  How are you keeping the needles from bouncing out?  Clay, tape, inquiring minds...

AliBeachGrl and OriginalYouth, thanks so much for your kind words.  Glad you enjoyed them.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Etsy http://www.feltsewcrafty.etsy.com
Zibbet http://www.zibbet.com/aTranquilNook
Blog http://aTranquilNook.blogspot.com/
Oh how I love to Sew and Make felt
RecycleMicol
Phasing out my swaps for now. I'll swap again later!

Use it up, Wear it out, Make it do or do without!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: October 01, 2006 08:01:04 AM »

GO,

Actually, I think I SAW a pic on here somewhere where it looked like someone had run two needles through a two-hole button, but I didn't know if that's what it was exactly.  Whether it was or not, it led me to the idea of using a button.

I didn't secure them in any way because I was just lazy...it works just fine with you holding them in while you punch.  I would switch when my hand got tired.  I'd hold them in with my thumb for a while.  Then I'd grasp the button in my fist and hold the needles' non-barbed shafts just below the button and punch.  I'd show you pics of how I hold it, but my camera is going into the shop after a little...um, mishap.   Cry

So I will have to borrow my father-in-law's camera soon to take pics of the button and hopefully...my red hat!   Grin

I also used an alphabet stencil pinned with straight pins to the background piece to punch in some initials on a purse!  I don't know if that has been shared on the board or not yet...but It's similar to your cookie cutter idea!  (Thanks for sharing that!)

Love to the felters!
RM
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For my Free Knitting Pattern for Hand Springs Fingerless Mitts:

View My Craft Blog

I'm finally on RAVELRY!  User ID RecycleMicol
cnp71201
« Reply #67 on: October 01, 2006 10:33:37 PM »

Your hats are SO AMAZING! I have GOT to learn to do this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm crystalnickel on Ravelry!

Visit my blog at http://cnp71203.blogspot.com/. It has a little of everything... well, most things!

http://www.wists.com/cnp71203
radal16
« Reply #68 on: October 03, 2006 07:35:09 AM »

Those hats are amazing! Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jezebel7383
« Reply #69 on: October 05, 2006 12:40:13 PM »

Ahhh I hope I have time this weekend to play with this!!! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Futuristic Ponytail Hairstyles Backstage at Herve Leger FW 2014
How to Use Hot Rollers
How to Get Big, Bouncy Curls
Hair Loss Solutions That Really Work
Eliminate Brassy Blond Color Without a Trip to the Salon
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...