A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 299,157
Currently Running With Scissors:
482 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Felting yarn changes in a lace shawl to keep them from showing?  (Read 791 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

FluffyMonkey
i feel my fate in what i cannot fear

The creative mind plays with what it loves

View Profile
« on: October 30, 2006 06:41:29 PM »

I read the "read this first" post, but I think this question will be okay. I don't want to felt the whole knitted garment, just the dangling bits. Besides, I already asked on the knitting thread and no one knew, so they told me to come here because you guys know just about everything there is to know about felting.

Here's the deal. I made this very delicate lace shawl, and I want to needle felt the ends in so they don't come loose. The yarn I used was GGH Soft Kid (70% Super kid mohair, 25% nylon, and 5% new wool). Do you think the yarn will felt? Do you think that a first timer is more likely to ruin the object than successfully felt the ends?

I hope this post is okay because I really want to know.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006 06:01:17 AM by FluffyMonkey » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"There are two kinds of strengths: the strength to lead, and the strength to follow; the strength to control, and the strength to yield. There are two kinds of power: the power to strip another's soul bare, and the power to stand naked."
~Yaldah Tovah

On Ravelry! Look me up; there I'm baela.
Jane Doe
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2006 07:06:44 PM »

Here's the deal. I made this very delicate lace shawl, and I want to needle felt the ends in so they don't come loose. The yarn I used was GGH Soft Kid (70% Super kid mohair, 25% nylon, and 5% new wool). Do you think the yarn will felt?

In my experiences of wet felting, I've found that mohair is one of the quickest fibers to felt.
So if you decide to wet felt the item, it should be fine
In regards to needle-felting, it should be fine to needle-felt.
If I've got it correct, in needle-felting it doesn't really matter what type of fiber it is - rather, it's about the length of the fibers.
All needle-felters reading this, feel free to correct me 
 Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

GraceOblivious

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2006 02:24:20 AM »

No one can promise you you won't ruin the piece. 

However we might be able to help you if  explain the problem and ask a specific question.  Are you afraid the yarn is going to unravel? to catch and tear? the edges are weak and need strengthening? or just the knots? or the fringe?  or three tips of a triangular shawl?

What are the dangling bits?

It would help to see the shawl and to know exactly where/what effect is desired. 

Do you have felting needles? Have you tried needle felting a sample?  fulling a sample? 

One of the things felters do is experiment a lot, from the length and help given in this board  people are obviously quite willing to share felting info.  - but specific questions do get more complete answers.  As Jane Doe said "in her experience mohair felts fast......"  fibers vary even within a breed and most of us make something small or a swatch to test what will happen.

What does the "super" mean in your yarn?  If it is superwash - treated so it will not shrink when washed - then it most likely will respond poorly to either fulling or needle felting.

Maybe retitle your topic to ask "Will needle felting edges keep knitted lace from raveling" or Fulling edges of knit shawl  or Adding felted component to knit work.

Good luck with your shawl.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006 02:32:30 AM by GraceOblivious » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Etsy http://www.feltsewcrafty.etsy.com
Zibbet http://www.zibbet.com/aTranquilNook
Blog http://aTranquilNook.blogspot.com/
Oh how I love to Sew and Make felt
FluffyMonkey
i feel my fate in what i cannot fear

The creative mind plays with what it loves

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2006 06:00:24 AM »

Sorry, I guess my question was confusing. I am worried that the changes between the old ball and the new ball will show or unravel because the shawl is lace. On a non-lace project, I would usually weave in the ends, then sew them in place with some matching thread, but I don't think that will work in this case. I'll post a picture of one of the changes when I get done with work later today.

As for the "super," I have no idea. That's just what the tag says. The rest of the tag is pretty much in a different language.

I don't have felting needles, and now I don't think I could find them anywhere nearby, either, because I live in the middle of nowhere. We have a Walmart. I'd probably have to buy them online. From what I've heard, wet felting sounds a little less precise than what I'm going for. I don't want to felt the entire piece, just the places where there are ends of yarn hanging because of a ball change.

Thanks for you help so far and let me know if I need to clarify anything else. I'll take some pictures for you when I get home from work/school.

Fluffy Monkey
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"There are two kinds of strengths: the strength to lead, and the strength to follow; the strength to control, and the strength to yield. There are two kinds of power: the power to strip another's soul bare, and the power to stand naked."
~Yaldah Tovah

On Ravelry! Look me up; there I'm baela.
GraceOblivious

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2006 07:32:54 AM »

Ahhh, Fluffy Monkey - thanks so much for the clarification - it does really facilitate understanding the problem and specific issue.  The pictures will be helpful.  As a non-knitter, the type of stitch and the usual way of securing ends of two skeins of yarn is unknown to me.   

It might be helpful to do a test connection - take a couple of strands of the yarn and add them together - do you knot it somhow?  - then untwist the dangling end and wrap it around and into the yarn before the join area - needle the overlap area and the join to matt the fibers together.  Needle felting matts the fiber and it shortens the length, so you may need to make the area that will be  ovelaped with a looser stitch so when it shortens it will not cause a dimple.

It might also be possible to divide the loose end into 3 parts and use a darning needle to weave the thinner strands into the yarn strand in the shawl body.  Or maybe just a tad of sewing it with invisible thread. (clear monofiliment)

Do check at Walmart - Look for Clover sewing supplies - I too live in a rural area and it used to be that felting needles were not available - however the local Ben Franklin Crafts has been carrying felting needles for about a year now.  By Clover - 3 needles in a sealed pack.  And just lately they also have some kits and  the Clover punch.  So you might find it at your Walmart or a local Quilt or Sewing store.  Especially if there is a BabyLock (Embellisher) or Bernina Dealer in your area.

Best wishes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Etsy http://www.feltsewcrafty.etsy.com
Zibbet http://www.zibbet.com/aTranquilNook
Blog http://aTranquilNook.blogspot.com/
Oh how I love to Sew and Make felt
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Scrapbook Templates
How to Buy Iron On Patches
How to Design T-shirts with Iron On Patches
How to Buy Iron On Letters
How to Iron On Fabric and Rhinestone Letters
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...