A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 309,349
Currently Running With Scissors:
502 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Simplicity 4050- Sewalong for Curvacious Craftsters  (Read 20579 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

diannab
founder member of the ZaftigMomma appreciation Society : )

Away..... stalking..... will return shortly......

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2006 03:20:32 AM »

Rules?Huh?? RULES?Huh?? I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF THAT!!!!!!!!!! LMAO LOL See Zaftig told ya I was a spoilty Grin LOL Smiley But me nor my MIL can figure out why they say to do that.... I am so confused I swear LOL
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I may be out of touch for a few days.my cable company merges we are experiencing lots growing pains!!! Email: diannabishop@yahoo.com
Would you like a Child/baby clothing & gift board?
rhodora55
« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2006 08:17:53 AM »

I remember my grandmother telling me that she got into a fight with her home ec teacher in high school because she was laying out her pattern pieces "upside down" to save fabric.  I have a hard time imagining my Gran getting in a fight with anyone over anything, but anyway turns out Gran was right it didn't matter for that pattern.  The teacher ought to have known better than to question my Gran, she had probably been sewing since kindergarden.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
diannab

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2006 12:26:11 PM »

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww (((((((((((hugs)))))))))) we all have those days! I am sorry you are having one today! :*( It is so rainy and dreary here! Tongue I have spent all day running my MIL to her dr. appts so I haven't done a thing besides sitting on my arse! Cheesy Angry Angry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I may be out of touch for a few days.my cable company merges we are experiencing lots growing pains!!! Email: diannabishop@yahoo.com
Dragonflower
Ecraftic

YAY!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2006 01:57:41 PM »

I've been trying to hastily redo some things for a craft swap (on another site) that got lost in the mail, so I haven't had a chance to cut out my pattern yet. I haven't yet encountered the upside-down stupidity, so I'm not sure why it's done. I plan to cut out either tonight or tommorrow morning, so then I'll be swearing a lot too.
And Zaf, I feel your pain (Literally)! The only place I have to cut out patterns is in my hall floor. It gets hard on the knees very quickly! I'm sorry you're having a crappy day, though! (((hug)))
THIS ROCKS   Logged

In the end, only kindness matters.
sarah73
« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2006 09:04:28 PM »

oh gosh dont tell me this is really hard, i have just ordered it from the states as i cant get it here yet.. and im not  a very advanced sewer....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
francie pants
« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2006 10:04:48 PM »

don't worry.... the sewing isn't that hard.  cutting out the pattern is the bane of my existence.  if i could pay someone to cut my pieces after i alter the pattern, i would. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
anniefee
« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2006 06:49:16 AM »

i despise cutting fabric, too. it's the part i hate the most! that and bobbin winding....yuck. booorrrinnng.....

so this is what i've got done so far:

all my pieces (minus two) pinned down. they are all cut out, now, but i don't have pictures of that. i'm going out of town for three days, so they're going to have to stay in pieces until i come back sunday and can work on it a little bit.

i'm using a slightly different pattern (simplicity 4072) so i haven't had any problems with the pieces being upside down or anything. i didn't lay out my pieces like how the directions said to, because they had a lot of wasted space and i guess i like to conserve my fabric. Smiley

we'll see once i start sewing how it turns out. i expect to sew things wrong, because i always do, but thankfully my seamripper is my best friend. the only thing i'm even slightly worried about is the interfacing - i didn't buy any! and i don't think i have any on hand. i haven't had time to go checking for it.....think it'll be much of a problem?

have a great weekend ladies! happy sewing! hope you're feeling better, zaftig....i was having a pretty sucky day yesterday, too. it was until my husband came home with flowers and a new shirt from j.crew. Wink i'm a sucker for clothes.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2006 09:20:36 AM by anniefee » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"...the man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere critic-the man who actually does the work, even if roughly and imperfectly, not the man who only talks or writes about how it ought to be done." Teddy Roosevelt

http://annieisabel.etsy.com
francie pants
« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2006 08:30:14 AM »

i don't think i've ever come across a pattern where it really mattered if the pattern paper was flipped over to fit better.  i've noticed a few threads talking about this now.  i just can't figure out a scenario where it would make a difference.  but then again, i'm a rebelious sewer... i never pin all my pieces down at once, i pin the big pieces that need to be on the fold first but after that, its a hodgepodge of tetras'like proportions.  and i hate ironing each step of the way though i've accepted that it does make a difference.  ewww and bobbin threading... yuck.  my mom passed on to me this huge box of prewound polycotton bobbins!  like 500 of them.  i was in heaven until i discovered that my machine hates that particuliar thread.  well shit... maybe i should make this dress again just so i can be a real part of the sewing part and not just be 'a-long'  i could make in out of the muslin and justify that its a wedding dress mockup for the portfolio.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
diannab

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: September 14, 2006 11:04:22 AM »

Anyway you look at trying to get the coworkers caught, he will get flack because he's the one that doesn't do it. I would see if you couldn't find him another job maybe??? Or hope they leave evidence laying around maybe.... I am so sorry :*( (((hugs))). Cheesy Grin Congrats on the cut out. I totally didn't use interfacing on my mock up (never used it before now) but I now totally understand why you need interfacing! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

reese299
yep, its like that

a little of column A, and a little of column B...

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2006 06:46:49 PM »

Alriiiiighty then....fabric is cut and marked and hopefully this weekend I will get to the actual sewing.

For now, I am taking some ibuprofen and getting the heating pad-cutting out patterns is a bitch! Angry

Anniefee, I am using the same pattern-what view are you doing?  I'm doing B.  And I hate bobbin winding too, even though my hubby can't figure out why-his mom would always let him do it when he was growing up, so he thinks it is "fun".  I tell him go for it. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Whenever I draw a circle, I immediately want to step out of it." -r.b.fuller
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Ends of the Earth Photography: A Photographer Follows Her Passion
This Is What Happens When You Attach Your Camera To A Kite
Photographers Capture Urban Decay
Rineke Dijkstra: When Art Reflects Art
Bob Gruen LIVE
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Mother's Day Fridge Clip
Robin crafts! Hello spring!
I Scream, You Scream...

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...