A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,583
Currently Running With Scissors:
597 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 80s stitchalong!  (Read 33262 times)
Tags for this thread: video_game  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

poo head

I didn't really drop my baby! No hate mail!!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2006 08:51:44 AM »

Actually (and I'm VERY open to advice..  most of my crafting is cross stitch or embroidery - NOT construction) I was thinking about blowing up the pic and just piecing together the major color areas (think like making a quilt but with wierd shapes)..  that way I wouldn't have to embroider all of that solid color..  would that work do you think?  does anybody have any idea what I'm talking about?  hehe Smiley

on the sticky about turning your embroidery into a lined pouch (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=10165.0) about the 4th post down she talks about how she stitched the features then cut it out then appliqued it to the background. is that what you were talking about? if it is i would definitely invest in some no-fray stuff, cause trying to applique w/ fraying edges is a pain.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking to do a personal swap for any boyish nursery print flannels! I can send polymer clay charms, purses, paper crafts, microscope slide pendant kit, and a lot more.

~My Inspiration~
~Benjamin Reed~
~11.8.07~

wist me away
♥personal swaps♥
Rylizbeth

I don't remember...

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2006 10:07:13 AM »

I love this idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mandyhello

Cook-Eat-Stitch-Game- in that order :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2006 04:16:44 PM »

on the sticky about turning your embroidery into a lined pouch (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=10165.0) about the 4th post down she talks about how she stitched the features then cut it out then appliqued it to the background. is that what you were talking about? if it is i would definitely invest in some no-fray stuff, cause trying to applique w/ fraying edges is a pain.

I was actually thinking about doing a sort of quilting technique..  sewing the major blocks of color together and then adding all of the smaller details later in hand embroidery..  I thought about applique, but I feel like that would take longer (but I could be soooo wrong Wink).. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PinkyK
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2006 04:22:53 PM »

I did a quilt for the scavenger hunt swap.  It started as a way to incorporate a bunch of the items via embroidery.  You could make a really cool 80s themed quilt!

Here is a link to it:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=110357.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

novastarlet

Plastic Rodeo Queen

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2006 05:41:19 PM »

Okay, I have a plan but I need a lot of help because I have never embroidered before!

I want to make a Tron bag or pillow (haven't decided) using black material and a light blue thread.

Questions: What types of stitches should I use? I have a book that shows me how to do a million of them but I'm not sure which ones I should try out.

Also, what type of thread should I use? I wanted to use something that would look a little "neon" - maybe one of those cross-stitch floss things that change through three colors? Know-watt-i-mean??

Cheesy
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009 07:11:37 AM by kittykill - Reason: Broken link » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Website  :  Flickr  :  Wist
Rylizbeth

I don't remember...

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2006 06:12:21 AM »

I really wanted to do Schoolhouse Rock, but thats the 70's...Maybe Smurfs?!?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
plath
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2006 06:21:28 AM »

I was totally going to do Schoolhouse Rock.  Here's a quote from their official website:
Schoolhouse Rock originally aired on the ABC Television Network from 1973 to 1985.

So they definitely qualify for the 80s!

Novastarlet, that image looks great for embroidery!  I've been doing pretty much just split stitch for outlining.  That would probably work.  I would suggest something simple since there's a bit of detail, but I'm a beginner embroiderer.  Maybe backstitch or stem stitch?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Rylizbeth

I don't remember...

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2006 10:48:39 AM »

I was totally going to do Schoolhouse Rock.  Here's a quote from their official website:
Schoolhouse Rock originally aired on the ABC Television Network from 1973 to 1985.

So they definitely qualify for the 80s!

Thanks for this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
novastarlet

Plastic Rodeo Queen

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2006 02:00:23 PM »

plath: Having never embroidered before, I am open to any ideas!

I'm thinking I'll do a backstitch for the finer details and a split stitch for the thicker outlines. Plus a couple french knots thrown in the right places.

I will probably have to simply the pattern somewhat before I get started though. And I'm still thinking about the thread though... Gotta get that "neon" effect
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Website  :  Flickr  :  Wist
jenne_girle
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2006 03:09:50 PM »

Novastarlet, I'm *so* looking forward to seeing your finished project. I think your choice of stitches sounds great.

Neon looking floss ideas. Start by looking for a neon color in the standard 100% cotton. This would be the simplest option, but you've probably already thought of that. Smiley

Another option to get your thread to appear to glow which I've used for flames in the past, is to use two different colors of floss at once which are very close, one very slightly lighter (or darker) than the other. If I were using 4 strands of floss, I'd use two of one color and two of the lighter shade and thread them through the needle together. The lighter color acts as a highlight and gives more dimension to your stitch. However, I've never used this method with either a backstitch or a split stitch, only with a stem stitch. The stem stitch tends to turn the floss, so you get to see both colors. I don't know how it would do with the stitches you have chosen to use. But, you could experiment with that.

If all else fails, you could try Rayon floss. I've heard it's difficult to work with. I've used it once for a non-embroidery project and found it difficult to knot, but otherwise I don't know how it would do. But, Rayon floss really really glows. It's shiny and pretty. If you are considering this route, really truly try a test with it before committing yourself, as you may find it too difficult to be a fun project. Just remember that it's not you, it's the floss! Smiley

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Set the Black Point to Match a Target
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Target Shadows and Highlights
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Restore an Image After Adjusting Levels
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Use the Level Commands
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Use the 16 Bit Per Channel Space
Latest Blog Articles
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls
Meatless Monday: Texas Pecan Pesto

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...