A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 300,925
Currently Running With Scissors:
687 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Need help designing plushies!  (Read 1519 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

KnitChick1979
Antauri Fangirl

Going ghost!

View Profile WWW
« on: August 31, 2006 11:05:55 PM »

Okay, once I get past my current swaps my next project is going to be a set of robot monkeys, from the show Super Robot Monkey Team Hyperforce Go!.  I want to make a Chiro costume for my teddy bear and a set of all five monkeys to accompany him.

Only problem is I am having a really hard time visualizing how to make their heads!  Their feet and legs are easy.  Their tails, easy.  I think I have an idea how to shape the torso.  But the heads are pretty complicated. 

I'm planning on doing this in felt.  The one other plushie I did, Nightcrawler from the X-Men, worked out pretty well in felt.  But I could use some help figuring out their heads!

I'm also thinking about making their hands detachable and making their weapons too (I know that sounds odd, it makes more sense if you've seen the show).  They're robots, and their hands transform into weapons on the show.  Antauri has ghost claws, Sparx has big magnets, Gibson has big drills, Nova has giant fists and Otto has spinning saws.  I can figure out the magnets and drills, those are pretty easy, but I'm a little iffy on Antauri's ghost claws and Nova's fists.

Here's one piccy of the group:

And a couple other shots that show them well:

Unfortunately I don't have a shot where you can see the back of their heads, there's a kind of computer plug there.  Sad

And there's LOTS of great screenshots on the Hyperforce.net,http://planetmyhill.com/Gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=7&g2_highlightId=74 ,  and the Monkey See, Monkey Fu! boards, http://z11.invisionfree.com/srmthg/index.php?act=idx .

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

Mary Jo
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Mind over matter is nothing compared to hands-free refreshment!" ~Antauri

Help in the race to beat Alzheimer's!

Information for swap partners
Luckie_Strike
Lemony fresh victory is mine!

I met Mike Lamb!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006 07:32:34 PM »

Are you making them fully round?  If so, I would use a simple baseball head form (sort of like 2 barbell pieces sewn together like a baseball) and embellish onto that.  Make the head all one color (like the aqua or pink, etc), then add the eyes and eyebrow ridgie thing, and then the point on the head, the mouth and the antennae on the sides of the head.  Not sure if this is what you're thinking about, but I think it would be easier to add the felt features to a solid head than to draft and try to sew each individual piece.  They sure are cute though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'm due for a miracle, I'm waiting for a sign
 and I'll stare straight into the sun and I won't close my eyes 'til I understand or go blind." Thrice
KnitChick1979
Antauri Fangirl

Going ghost!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006 12:07:24 AM »

Thanks!  I picked up a cheapo softball at Walmart and dissected it and here's the resulting experimental sphere:

And now I have a nice big Gibson action figure to use as a model!

Mary Jo
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Mind over matter is nothing compared to hands-free refreshment!" ~Antauri

Help in the race to beat Alzheimer's!

Information for swap partners
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Thai Style Beef Salad
Classic Chicken Chow Mein Recipe
Hong Kong Chow Mein Recipe
Simple Soy Glazed Chicken Recipe
Shrimp Tempura Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...