A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 302,612
Currently Running With Scissors:
767 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Raising ultra low rise jeans?  (Read 1906 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kwugirl
« on: August 31, 2006 10:58:03 PM »

Hey all,

I hope this question hasn't already been posted and answered somewhere else, but I wasn't quite sure what to search for and the ones I did didn't show me what I'm looking for.

Anyway, I like a modest amount of low rise on my jeans, but the ones I've been seeing in stores this fall are ridiculous! My favorite pair of jeans are from American Eagle, their "Favorite Fit" (haha.) which they now only sell online, boohiss! So I went in and tried on some other pairs, and actually I quite liked the wide-leg ones, those were pretty flattering, except the rise is something like 3 inches. No joke.

Huh Huh Huh

My butt crack is my own business, thanks.

Anyway, any ideas on how to deal with that? Perhaps someday I will be good enough at sewing to make my own jeans, but for now it might be a lot easier to just buy them and attempt to alter them somehow, although I can't think of some way of adding material to the waistband without it looking rather silly. Somewhere in the internet I once saw an obi-type belt that someone had made to "cover" (haha! I'm so funny...) the issue, but I think that'd be a little bit too flashy for me.

One idea: stick velcro on the inside of the waistband of those jeans and make a couple of fabric attachments, to have a bit of colored material above the jeans that will give me more coverage. Sort of like a belt and interchangeable, just not through the belt loops. Does anyone think that would work/not look too bad?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006 11:02:50 PM »

oh man, i say Don't Do It. better to scour the second hand stores for pants that actually fit than blow the money on something uncomfortable and ill-fitting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
uglyshyla
Ugly Shyla

Ugly Shyla and Ugly Art Dolls

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006 11:34:12 PM »

I know what ya mean.I'm Cajun and we tend to be "large in the butt area" so super low rise just don't work on me.I'm like you I like to keep my butt crack private.
I'll be so glad when the trend of showing your butt crack to everybody is over.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find me on most social media under @uglyshyla
Doll and Art Etsy
http://uglyartdotnet.etsy.com
Website http://www.uglyart.net
My famous Painting Squirrel http://www.facebook.com/winkelthesquirrel
kwugirl
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006 11:57:21 PM »

::shakes fists at Those Who Dictate Fashion Trends!::

The thing is, these jeans are great except for that one problem, so if I could figure out how to deal with that by making something, that would probably be a lot easier than going to the thrift store (especially the big one near where I go to school doesn't have fitting rooms).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elayinay
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2006 02:02:13 AM »

I feel your pain.

But, as a suggestion, I just bought what I now refer to as "the most comfortable pair of jeans ever" at Old Navy a few days ago.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mmmbop.
katie_ramone9
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2006 08:39:15 AM »

i too have the same problem.  but ive found that guess jeans from the actual guess store (not ones found in department stores) fit me really well and no buttage shows.  yes i know they are like $60+ a pair, but they really fit me well and the material is super soft compared to jcpenny or kohls jeans. 

i dont think theres any way to raise the waist band on pants with out it looking somewhat like maternity clothes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kwugirl
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2006 12:39:53 PM »

Mmm, ok, oh well! Thanks for the sympathy and suggestions of where to get non-obscene jeans, I'll continue my quest starting at those places.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kassi
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2006 12:43:31 PM »

The super-long shirt/tunic look is pretty trendy right now, so you could use one of those to camoflauge a too-low waist.  Or you could find/create a wide belt to wear over the top of the waist to maybe "anchor" the pants. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
autopilotstar
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2006 03:26:48 PM »

This isn't really a 'crafty' solution, but I also have this problem and I sometimes solve it by wearing a thin long tank top and tucking it in, and then wearing another shirt over it.  That way you don't see the tucked in shirt (because I don't really like the tucked-in look), but when you do bend over or whatever, you just see the undershirt rather than your arse/undies.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tickleagangster
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2006 04:14:18 PM »

Well, I too am bootylicious, and a mom, and over 40, SO, I don't like low rise jeans either.  What I've done is like someone else suggested, I wear a very thin tank to tuck in under whatever other top I have on.  Other than that I like the idea of a vanity panel peeking out, maybe with smiley faces or something?? I think that would be really funny because I am tired of seeing other peoples butt cracks.  Of course, I think waistlines are starting to rise according to the "fashion industry!"
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Say hello to my lil' friend!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Canon SD770 IS: Set for Indoor Scene
Canon SD770 IS: Set for Panoramic Scene
Canon SD770 IS: Set for Night Portrait Scene
Canon SD770 IS: Set for Night Landscape Scene
Canon SD770 IS: Set for Museum Scene
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...