A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,583
Currently Running With Scissors:
678 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Basics on making a decent cup of tea  (Read 2538 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

knitsabit06
« on: August 31, 2006 07:53:57 PM »

Hello all,
I started drinking tea last year and I need a little advice from tea drinkers. What kind to look for, how long to steep tea bag, sugar and milk? or just sugar? I like tea, I just think I could like it a lot more with a little help.
Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sheriffkarli
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006 07:59:26 PM »

it all depends on what kind/brand you're using. I have a somewhat local tea shop that sells all kinds of wonderful exotic tea's that are to DIE for! but seeing as their a little pricy, i've been growing my own mind, popping the leaves into a tea ball, steep for 5 min, than drink! This way, i know what all in it, and it costs next to nothing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my crafting blog and tutorials at www.madebykarli.com
jshires

Bye bye boys! Have fun storming the castle!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006 08:11:19 PM »

I used to work at Starbucks (known for coffee but they have great tea too) and so we had to take a "tea class". Green teas and herbal teas steep for 3 mins. Black teas for 5 min. use water just before it starts to boil (boiling is too hot). Milk and sugar is optional. I like milk and sugar in black tea, honey in herbal teas and green tea. NEVER use milk in a tea that has orange or lemon. it will curdle. Hope that helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3 Jessi~La

"People, even more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed, and redeemed; Never throw out anyone." ~Audrey Hepburn
My Wists
My Blog
EmilyFlew
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

..sweets4ever is so rad..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006 05:02:12 PM »

Also, green tea should have even cooler water. I let the water boil then turn off the heat and let it cool for one full minute. Definitely experiment with good quality tea and different flavors--the giant boxes of bags at the supermarket are very different from the good stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

technocutie, handmade iPod cases and felt accoutrements
thoughts and days.

I <3 the mod squad ladies!
halfelvenwriter
The Quiet, Odd One in the Corner

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006 10:05:31 PM »

Teavana has a lot of really awesome, though also often pricey, exotic loose teas as well as staple varieties.  I set a bit of money aside so I can get my Earl Grey and Black Currant through them, and ask for gift cards for my birthday so I can get the Turkish Tea (has some apple and spices in it...one of my favorites).

However, no matter where you get tea, get an inexpensive tea ball or tea strainer and try some loose tea sometime.  You can usually find some in the grocery store.  Even if you don't notice a great difference in taste, there's something fun and satisfying about putting a teaspoonful of leaves into the strainer and pouring the water through them...maybe it has to do with taking a little more time and effort to fix a cup of tea than plopping a tea bag into a cup. Not that I haven't been rushing around and plopping lots more tea bags into styrofoam cups this week than filling strainers with loose tea.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

r_matey
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2006 11:18:45 AM »

The BBC weighs in (in pictures!) here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/spl/hi/pop_ups/03/uk_how_to_make_perfect_tea/html/1.stm

And if you're a Neil Gaiman fan (or even if you're not, really):
http://www.neilgaiman.com/journal/2005/06/last-tea-post.asp
Which is where I found the first link way back when.

I do think you get a more satisfying experience if you take time to warm whatever you're steeping the tea in (a pot or your cup) -- it stays hot longer and there's something nice about the ritual of it.  And I think it tastes better.  Same goes for boiling the water in something other than the microwave.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
suavisvinum
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2006 01:38:18 PM »

i don't think i could live without tea. i hate coffee, and i need my early a.m. caffeine fix. Wink

personally i usually like the loose leaf teas, but there are quite a few decent bag teas out there if loose leaf seems a little daunting. or if you just want something quick and easy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gaze upon the uselessness and tremble..
knitsabit06
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2006 03:57:01 PM »

Thanks everyone. Unfortunately, I'm stuck in the dorms this year so I don't know how often I'll have too many choices, but all good tips to keep in mind for later!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kinkyknit
Pathological Knitter

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2006 01:42:32 AM »

My tip would be to drink your tea from a china cup.  I loooove tea (well, I am British) but even the most delicious Earl Grey tastes all wrong from anything else! x
THIS ROCKS   Logged

clockworkclover
But, why is the rum gone?

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2006 11:35:28 AM »

The food co-op near me sells cheap and good organic tea leaves as well as various sorts of dried herbs and fruits that could be added to a basic black loose leaf tea.

I, personally, have had very bad luck with infusers making a huge mess in my kitchen, so I use pre-packaged tea now. However, the food co-op also sells re-usable tea bags that could be stuffed with loose leaf tea. I've not used them, but I have friends that have and they have enjoyed them.

I'm not sure if that will help you, but if you have a health food grocery store near you, they sell fabulously wonderful pre-mixed teas, though they can be a little expensive.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life has taught us that love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking together in the same direction. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Jonathan Alter Talks About The Promise
Charlotte Smith Talks About Dreaming of Dior
Rick Warren Reveals His Hobbies
Antwone Fisher Talks About A Boy Should Know How to Tie a Tie
Jimmy Gownley Reveals His Favorite Books
Latest Blog Articles
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls
Meatless Monday: Texas Pecan Pesto

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...