A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,173
Currently Running With Scissors:
626 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Easy Recipes  (Read 1589 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

catherine625
« on: August 23, 2004 02:30:47 PM »

My brother has Down Syndrome and living independently.  One of his goals it to learn to cook and I was wondering if anyone had any easy, tasty recipes that he could make or easy cooking book that anyone could suggest?

Thanks so much! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Adults are just obsolete children, and to hell with them."
                -Theodor Seuss Geisel (Dr. Seuss)
kabili

I'm not a llama anymore!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2004 04:16:51 PM »

i don't have a lot of suggestions, but i just wanted to say YAY! for your brother! i work with individuals with developmenal disabilities, and sometimes it is disheartening to see people underestimate their abilities. living independently is an awesome achievement! hooray!

as for the recipes, check out the website associated with bisquick. they have some really tasty recipes that involve only mixing some ready-made ingredients and baking. i personally love making pot pies with bisquick topping instead of regular crust.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

where are we going, and why am i in this handbasket?
catherine625
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2004 10:15:40 PM »

I'm super proud of him, he has been living independently for 3 years now!  Thanks for the tip on the bisquick website!  I would never have thought of that!

(also YAY! for crazy black kitties!  mine is 7 months old now!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Adults are just obsolete children, and to hell with them."
                -Theodor Seuss Geisel (Dr. Seuss)
halfjapanezegrl
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2004 01:21:48 AM »

How inspiring and how considerate/thoughtful of you!  I have a few suggestions, some I've tried more than others, but this list might be a good place to start. 
The 365 Ways series recipies are all pretty simple (straightforward instructions and not too many ingredients).  I have and use pretty regularly the pasta one and the chicken one... they can be seen here:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/006018664X/qid=1093421631/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/103-3213393-0655859?v=glance&s=books&n=507846
My roommate has a cook book for beginners that is based on the premise that all of the recipes have four ingredients or fewer (a lot of the ingredients are already cooked/canned/packaged/etc) and there are some intriguing recipes there.  The one here isn't exactly the same, but probably pretty similar:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0962855030/103-3213393-0655859?v=glance
I've seen this book in the bookstore before, and it looks pretty simple/fun:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1881527638/qid=1093421449/sr=8-3/ref=pd_ka_3/103-3213393-0655859?v=glance&s=books&n=507846
Never looked through this one, but it seems like it might meet your needs:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0517221705/ref=pd_sim_books_4/103-3213393-0655859?v=glance&s=books
Happy cooking to you and your brother!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DIY of all kinds.

My blog: http://www.atxdiy.com
dreamin2
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2004 02:52:15 PM »

That's awesome your brother wants to learn to cook. some ideas I have for easy/tasty recipes using canned soups:

Beef dip: mix a can of beef broth with a can of onion soup, heat. For the sandwich put some deli roast beef on a sub/hoagie bun (buttered if wanted), and cut in half. Serve with the dip in a mug or bowl. This is sucha  quick easy, dinner.

French onion soup: heat up a can of onion soup (add a little worchestershire sauce if wanted). Then you can do the rest two different way. Either rip up a piece of toasted bread into a french onion soup bowl, pour the soup over, and then shred mozzarella or swiss cheese over, and broil in oven until browned. Or shred cheese on toast and broil that in oven on a cookie sheet until browned, and then place on top of soup poured in a bowl.

Mushroom porkchops: dump a can of mushroom soup on top of pork chops and bake in oven until done. Can use different cream soups as well as different meats for variety.

And I was just thinking anything that uses ground beef is always super easy: spaghetti, chili, tacos (those taco kits are handy), even meatloaf since all it involves is dumping everything together and putting in a loaf pan to bake.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
meowsley

Meow....I'm one stitchin' kitten!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2004 03:03:46 PM »

Yay! Congrats to your brother!  Grin

I have a few suggestions.. I don't know if you're in to veggie burgers or stuff like that, but they make ground veggie meat (I don't know the correct name) that you don't even have to defrost or anything, I'm not a vegetarian, but I hate cooking ground beef, it's so ucky! You can plop that in some spaghetti sauce, or use it for tacos or anything! Also - Taco Bell makes some great taco kits, it has the seasoning in it and everything you need. He can even buy the chicken already cooked & cut in strips, too!

Also - Betty Crocker or a company similar makes these kits where everything you need for Chicken & Dumplings or something like that is included... you might have to mix the dumpling mix with water in a bowl, but after that one pan is all you need!

Sorry - that's all I got! Best of luck to him!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

No Cookies No Peace!!
Monsters aren't Pansies!!
haykyn

Smart Women Vote!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2004 05:05:38 PM »

I can't attest to the flavor of these recipes, and I'm sure that being  mostly canned food, the meals must be high in fat and/or sodium... having said that, A man, A can and A plan  (or something like that... http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1579546072/qid=1094428847/sr=8-1/ref=pd_ka_1/102-8989357-2159315?v=glance&s=books&n=507846 ) seems like a great starting place, since he wouldn't have to worry too much about fresh chicken and salmonella and what not.  Also, many college cookbooks  give you the most basic information, like how to boil an egg  and I kid you not, I had to learn that in a book, because I didn't know!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Trust yourself.  You know more than you think you do.  -Dr. Spock
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Behind the Sandwich: Crispy Pork at Bark Hot Dogs
The Best Burger in New York City: The Brindle Room
Dr. Travis Makes a Healthy Deep Dish Pizza
Fun and Affordable Summer Grilling Tips
How to Make Creamy Mac and Cheese with Bread Crumb Crust
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...