A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 303,107
Currently Running With Scissors:
661 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A Series of Cautionary Tales or What NOT to Do in Knitting  (Read 9537 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2006 11:42:34 AM »

I learned to knit in February, but didn't really start until a few weeks ago.  I did a purse with stockinette stitch for the strap, and it was bad news.  Live and learn!

Rose Red - in which I write about my life as an amateur crafter.

I have my hands full...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2006 12:48:15 PM »

I love your Bob Barker purse!  If you don't want to keep it, I bet you could sell it for a bunch of money (I'd buy!). 

This is one of the most entertaining posts I've seen.  You obviously have a lot of creativity and a great sense of humor!

...Of knitting, sewing, crochet, and so much more!
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2006 02:41:49 PM »

I really appreciate this post.  I thought I was the only one who had to reknit things over and over and over to get them right!  I too have a bunch of FO's that just didn't work out Embarrassed  I keep on seeing these beautiful sweaters posted on craftster and it seems that some knitters don't have any problems!  However, I can be a perfectionist...

NO, I don't know karate.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2006 04:52:02 PM »

Knitting for a man can be death of you!!!

Here is what I made (then read story):  http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=111380.msg1062828#msg1062828

ARGH!  My husband is in the US Coast Guard, stationed on a boat.  The boat gave them wool rack afghans, but they're pretty pathetic.  So said husband asked me to make him an afghan.  I designed one all by myself, it took two months to knit, TWO MONTHS KNITTING EVERY.  SINGLE.  DAY.  I finished it while he was underway, a few friends came over and oogled over it, lavishing me with compliments and such.  I was so proud...

Until DH gets home, he looked at and said, "It's a little skinny."  That's it.  I had told him that cable patterns do that.  Then later he said to me, "Ah, I'll probably just keep it at the house."  WHAT?!?!?!

RAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!  NEVER AGAIN.  Then, the very next day, he had the audacity to email me a sweater pattern he found that he would like for me to knit... yeah, he got reamed for that.

Want to know where that afghan is?  It's being used as a seat cover on my couch because one of the zippers on my cushion broke and otherwise you can see the foam.  I'm going to go cry again.

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2006 07:04:40 PM »

felted remote holder: perhaps you could knit and felt another peice to sew on and make it longer?
containers: Try several strands of yarn. Mason*Dixon knitting has a pattern or two for them.
Purse strap: there is a stitch called fabric stitch..it is inflexible and strong as heck..and done almost like seed stitch.
Bob Barker: bummer

I still do amazingly stupid things after 20 years of knitting...
I mean things that make me ashamed.

If you live..you learn.

I am so glad you are hanging in there through it all.

By the way..The BOTH purses are really great.
I bet my Mom would LOVE a Bob Barker purse!
You did good..and are doing great.

http://www.diosaperdida.net  - My website
http://knittingbare.blogspot.com/ painting, knitting, whatever...it's all art
http://painting.craftgossip.com/  decorative painting techniques, projects and product info.
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2006 07:58:58 PM »

DropKickGrl - My husband and I are still cracking up over your story, it's so unbelievable.  Hi-larious.  And sad!

Rose Red - in which I write about my life as an amateur crafter.
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2006 08:26:13 PM »

starlight1221, I love the Bob Barker purse.  That's too cool. 

DropKickGrl, your story has me a bit worried.  I just bought yarn to knit an afghan for DH to take when he goes on cruise (next month is his last month of shore duty  Cry) and I can totally see him pulling something like that on me.  He doesn't like sweaters, gloves, hats or socks, but I wanted to knit him something.

Avian Flight
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2006 09:06:56 PM »

Oh man oh man.. thanks for warning us. This was a really good read though.. i have to say.   Smiley

My Wists
eula.wordpress.com - updated frequently! (food and bento)

The Mythical and Magical Seahorse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2006 09:24:10 PM »

Dropkickgirl, that was unbelievable! I asked my guy what I could knit for him and he said "slippers" so I slaved over those things for months and frogged them over and over.

I finally finished them and we both agree they don't fit properly, but at least he appreciates the effort!!!

I have a cautionary tale but I blame it on the fact I suffered a brain injury from surgery a few years ago and now have a lousy short term memory:

When you make something and are almost done and you make a mistake, FOR GOD'S SAKE DON'T FROG THE ENTIRE THING AND START OVER!!!!

I can't tell you how many times I've forgotten that it's possible to frog to the mistake and not to have to reknit the whole thing.

Also, don't frog from the cast-on row!!!! Frog from the last row you knit! I know, I know, fundamental rules but man, I always forget and rip out days of knitting when I only had to rip out a few minute's worth.

My blog/showcase of my crafts:  http://kimmadecrafts.blogspot.com/

the bunny with the loops

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2006 03:12:42 AM »

I have a bit of cautionary advice:

Always knit for yourself.

Ive been knitting almost a year, and have turned out *counts* 15 or so FOs.

Out of those....only ONE was made for myself. ONE.

And what am I working on now? A scarf for someone else.

Granted, every person Ive made something for has appreciated and used it (except a hat for an ex roommate....but that hats mine now), but I wish I had more to show for my work.

But Ive learned. After this, Im making myself something before I start the next friend's project.

For everything you make someone else....make something for yourself

ha! i *only* make thigns for myself! love my family and friends - don't love them enough to knit for them. does that make me a bad person?
i am pretty anal about fit though, and it would drive me ntus not being able to check how something seems to be working against the body it's intended for.

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Beachy Waves for Short Hair Tutorial
A Salon-Worthy Blowout You Can Do at Home
How to Curl Short Hair with a Flat Iron
How to Style a Festival Updo for Curly Hair
Sombré: The New Ombré Trend That Looks Gorgeous on Everyone
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Clever Containers for Cuttings
September 30, 2015 Featured Projects
Spotlight on: Spiral Veggies Recipes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...