A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,655
Currently Running With Scissors:
632 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A Series of Cautionary Tales or What NOT to Do in Knitting  (Read 8315 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fire*rocket
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2006 07:37:42 AM »

This thread is great!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chicagohissyfit
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2006 07:59:27 AM »

OH MY GOSH - my mom & I were at TPIR the day AFTER you!  We stayed at The Farmer's Daughter across the street, got in line at 3am, it was crazy.  I wish I could have seen you and your purse! 

Can you believe what an ordeal it was just to get into that show?  We actually had people in line around us that had been there the previous 2 days and were coming back again the next day!  My mom is a HUGE fan and probably would be happy to do that, but once was plenty for me.  It was interesting, but not something I need to do again.  One guy that was in line with us who we spent some time talking to did get "called down" and ended up winning the Showcase, which was cool - he was a very nice kid. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chicagohissyfit
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2006 08:01:13 AM »

And I forgot to add - your BB purse is WAY cooler than any t-shirt I saw, and that includes our own!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
IamSusie
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2006 08:13:36 AM »

Thanks for you thorough cautionary tales.  I love the Bob Barker Purse.  It sounds like Bob has a Seen-It-All attitude and that's what you got from him.  It is a tough lesson to learn that other folks (often men) don't appreciate the time and effort of handmade things.  I give them out anyway along with stuff they understand.

Really people! You should definitely craft for yourself!  It is so fun wear and use your own things.  I always like to test drive my crafts before I decide to make them as gifts.   

THIS ROCKS   Logged

laceybatey
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2006 08:42:48 AM »

I also love the Bob Barker purse.  And, of course, I understand why you're upset.  Most people can't fathom the amount of time or expense that knitting is.  When they do find out, many of those people wonder why we don't just go buy sweaters and hats and novelty items like others do.  It's so hard to explain to people what knitting really is and the sense of pride and accomplishment you get when you finish something remarkable. 

That purse is a remarkable finish.  I am learning intarsia at my LYS today after work so I can finish a baby sweater.  I only hope my looks that good! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
starlight1221
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2006 09:03:58 AM »

OH MY GOSH - my mom & I were at TPIR the day AFTER you!  We stayed at The Farmer's Daughter across the street, got in line at 3am, it was crazy.  I wish I could have seen you and your purse! 

Can you believe what an ordeal it was just to get into that show?  We actually had people in line around us that had been there the previous 2 days and were coming back again the next day!  My mom is a HUGE fan and probably would be happy to do that, but once was plenty for me.  It was interesting, but not something I need to do again.  One guy that was in line with us who we spent some time talking to did get "called down" and ended up winning the Showcase, which was cool - he was a very nice kid. 

I was at the Farmer's Daughter too!  Until the 25th!  Wasn't that a great place?  Loved the faucets and the showerhead. 

And it WAS crazy, I was in line at 3am too, and some people had been there since 7pm.  It seemed like a whole lot of unnecessary waiting, like, couldn't they have started the interviews while halfway through handing out the nametags?  But it was fun, the set was so much SMALLER in real life, isn't it?

And I'm happy, this is my first post that's gotten over 1 page of responses Smiley  Glad you guys are liking it, and thanks for all the compliments on the purse. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amyb444
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2006 10:15:17 AM »

I feel so bad for your poor sweater!! It's beautiful. That would make me cry. A lot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ax174
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2006 10:28:11 AM »

I loved that post!    But take heart - get all those failed projects and make them into something funky, unusual and useful, like my failed-projects-and-swatches robe:

(Details and more pics here - can you see the orange sock at the bottom?).
« Last Edit: September 01, 2006 10:33:49 AM by ax174 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

onetomatotwo

(former username: kaesea)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2006 10:28:50 AM »

Cautionary Tale #5:  Do NOT work a purse strap in seed stitch

I just wanted to pipe up and say that all is not lost with this one (and Bob's purse -- I'm glad you didn't frog that, because it's great, even if Bob didn't appreciate it!) Sew a fabric lining to the inside of this strap and that should take care of the stretching. I've done this on a purse in the past and it worked like a charm.

Here's hoping a couple of these are salvageable and thanks for sharing your tales of woe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I live on the west coast. She lives on the east coast. We discuss crafts in between. Right here: Trans-craft-inental.
nongshim
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2006 11:40:28 AM »

Great thread!

Bob's loss, that purse is absolutely fantastic. I like your cable purse too, once you get that strap fixed it will be divine.

I have lots of cautionary tales, but I don't want to hog your thread. Here's to learning experiences!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Wear the Checker-Print Trend With a Pair of Easy DIY Flats
How to Edit Your Wardrobe
Three Big Style Mistakes Women Make
Get Your Fashion Week Trends For Less
H&M Launching High End Line In London
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...