A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 303,169
Currently Running With Scissors:
673 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tutorial: Zipper pocket (messenger bag & jordy bag)  (Read 240935 times)
Tags for this thread: zipper , tutorial , jordy_bag  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
FOC Bandit #12

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: October 05, 2005 08:33:50 PM »

ooo brubendall pretty bag.

arrhythmia: I think on the red one it is caught on the bottom and the sides. I did not do a tute and I gave it to a friend. I will ask her to check. In the mean time I will work on it some on another attempt at it. I have and old one I did with a zippered divider pocket so I will look at that one too.

toomuchrock: Yes, the stitching around the zipper will be visible.

The pocket is 2 pieces, a front and back. The front piece is the 'facing' for the zipper hole. You put your main fabric (the lining for your bag, or whatever piece you want showing at the end) right side with the facing piece. Stich the rectangle, then cut the slit inside of it.

You take that facing piece and put it through the slit and over to the other side of the main fabric. Once you press it you now still have those two pieces together, but now instead of right sides facing the wrong sides are facing and you have a nice and neat rectangle 'window' through the middle them. The zipper goes in the window and you stitch the zipper in place going through the main fabric, the facing, and the zipper. You could probably also hand or machine stitch the zipper to just the facing if you did not want the stitching to show.

Now to make it a pocket and not just a zipper sitting there you take the other pocket piece and stitch it to the facing.

.:See profile for blog & Flickr info!:.

Just another day in suburbia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: October 06, 2005 10:38:50 AM »

i undestand now... yay

I craft, Therefor I Rock!

MOOLA! It amazes me
Never heard of Moola? PM me or click the link for More details.
« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2005 06:50:05 PM »

this is interesting...

« Reply #63 on: October 19, 2005 06:59:40 AM »

I love this tute!  It has become my standard pocket, because it's so easy and great-looking!  I have also used it as a zipperless pocket, because I Like the way it shows off the pocket fabric especially when it contrasts with the lining fabric, as it does in this bag.  Hope you can see it.
« Reply #64 on: October 24, 2005 11:49:27 AM »

I think I understand the directions and looking forward to trying it out.  :)I have one question. After the zipper is put in can you see the whole zipper when looking inside the pocket?  It doesn't matter to me if it's visiable inside I just want to make sure I'm understanding the directions.
FOC Bandit #12

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: October 24, 2005 12:38:21 PM »

Yeah, when you look inside you can see the whole back of the zipper.

.:See profile for blog & Flickr info!:.
« Reply #66 on: November 01, 2005 11:54:36 AM »

BIG THANK YOU for all the very comprehensive photos of making ziipper pockets. I have gone thru all my scraps trying to make this thing and have a pile of junk. I just found this site and it WILL be bookmarked for future use.

It's a breath of fresh air to have some place to go when you get stuck. I had given up and put my project back into the closet. Something told me to try again this morning. THIS IS ONE GREAT SITE.
« Reply #67 on: November 01, 2005 12:01:19 PM »

awesome tute, thanks!

today, my love, we shall let the world slide
« Reply #68 on: November 26, 2005 04:55:08 PM »

I'd like to add if nobody has before: the width of the "rectangle" you stich at the very beginning is the best when it's the width of the zipper "teeth" + 3 extra milimeters. It usually works for me perfectly Smiley
« Reply #69 on: November 26, 2005 05:17:22 PM »

GREAT tutorial--sooo helpful!! I used today while making a bag. 

Some women follow their dreams. Others mercilessly chase them down until they catch them.

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
My Life My Style: Gym Chic
Summer Garden Party Outfits
Love Her Look: Kerry Washington
Eva Longoria Reveals Her Fashion Secrets
4 Wardrobe Hacks to Prevent Office Embarrassment
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quilted Patchwork Basket
Craftster Quickies: How to Make Spooky Halloween Decorations
Craft Challenge #110 Announced - Halloween Costume Contest!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...