A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,365
Currently Running With Scissors:
384 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: what kind of material to make tennis skirt?  (Read 895 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fitz28
« on: August 31, 2006 01:04:44 PM »

i am in no way familiar with sewing, but i was thinking about giving it a shot in making a tennis skirt. I was just wondering what sort of material is good for sweating and what they usually use--most of the skirts in stores are really expensive and it's kind of a pain to spend 50 bucks for one. :-D
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stacysews
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006 01:15:51 PM »

You know I'm not really sure what they use!  I think that if you stick with cotton fabrics you'll be fine.  There is also fabric out there that is "wicking" fabric that keeps sweat away from your skin - but you probably won't have this issue as much with a skort as what you would with a top.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stagedive

serious as a heart attack

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006 02:45:10 PM »

i think they're normally made of lycra stuff because it's easier to move in and it's stretchy. Well, hockey skirts are made out of lycra anyway...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

katie_ramone9
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006 04:45:52 PM »

in a battle between lycra and cotton id say lycra.  you want to be able to move quickly in tennis and you want your clothing to move with you and stretch with you movements and cotton wont do that.  sure cotton is breathable but its not what they make tennis wear out of and for good reason.  ive played tennis for about 3 years now (and still counting) and im not sure what the clothing is made of exactly but if you get something somewhat thin and stretchy and in a light color youll be fine. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stacysews
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006 05:16:08 PM »

I guess I should have been more specific - I meant cotton like in cotton interlock or jersey.  That will give your stretch.  Lycra is stretchy (like in swimwear), but I would think that it would get hot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

katie_ramone9
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2006 05:33:06 PM »

eep i thought you meant the stiff cotton stuff...sorry  Cheesy.

ok so i looked at a few tags and other tennis clothing i have is made out of 92% polyester 8% spandex. i dont know if that helps much though.  they have specialty stores like spandexhouse.com that sells all sorts of spandex and everything so you may want to check them out.  not sure if they have a minimum though.  i havent actually ordered from them, i just look and all the patterns and wish i had money.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

stacysews
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2006 08:52:42 PM »

OOOh, spandex house!  I love their stuff (can't say that I've bought from them either, but like to browse). 

Wazoodle has a pretty nice stretch selection too:
http://www.wazoodle.com/cgi-bin/catstore.cgi?user_action=category&category=Fabrics;Knits

They are located in Canada and sometimes have specials on shipping.  It takes a little bit to get here (because of customs), but I've been happy with the fabrics that I've gotten from them in the past.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SherNWT
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2006 09:09:36 PM »

There is a fabric called Athletic Dazzle.  That might work.  It is a lightweight stretch fabric. 

Sher
THIS ROCKS   Logged
paroper
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2006 02:09:47 PM »

I had to laugh about this thread...my age showed up quickly.  The first fabric that crossed my mind was sailcloth.  Then I realized that when I learned to play tennis we didn't have anything knit except sweaters and our skirts were always crisp mid weight cottons.  I guess I'll get my cane and toddle off to the rocking chair....really, some day 30 years down the road this will happen to you too. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use the Retouch Tool in Camera Raw 4.0
How to Use Split Tone Sliders in Camera Raw 4.0
How to Work With Grayscale Sliders in Camera Raw 4.0
How to Work With Vibrance and Saturation Sliders in Camera Raw 4.0
How to Work With Clipping Warnings in Camera Raw 4.0
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...