A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,180
Currently Running With Scissors:
543 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: gaiters/shoe covers  (Read 5996 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

onecraftybitch
« on: August 30, 2006 01:13:13 PM »

I am looking to make some gaiters to cover hiking boots as well as a pair to help transform a pair of dressy shoes into 'psuedo-boots' for Halloween.

Has anyone made anything like this? Does any one have tips on how to secure them under your shoes? I was thinking elastic.

Perhaps rather similar to this...http://campmor.stores.yahoo.net/11607.html

Thanks in advance to all you crafty folks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vtgirl
"Impossible sir, it's in Johnson's underwear."

Loves flow charts.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006 01:15:06 PM »

Hey!  My husband made me some.  He makes backpacks, tents, sleeping bags and all that good outdoorsy stuff.  I'll email him and see if he can help you out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you're referring to the incident with the dragon, I was barely involved." ~ Gandalf

Twitter = sicavt
VTgirls_ husband

The sewing genius behind vt girl

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006 09:09:40 AM »

It depends on how you intend to use them.  If they are for a costume then it would be done differently then for actual outdoor use.  If you are interested in the outdoors aspect of the design then check out backpacking.net and the make your own forum, its full of gear heads who can make anything and most of us/them have made gators.
Here is a link to a question about gators: http://www.backpacking.net/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=instructions&Number=88228&Forum=f10&Words=gators&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main=88111&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=&daterange=1&newerval=1&newertype=y&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post88228
As far attaching them under the shoe, elastic is not a good idea as it will get shreaded way to quickly.  I would attach loops to the sides and then attach a piece of paracord under the shoe.  The paracord will last longer and the loops on the sides will make it replaceable.
good luck,
scott
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I had superhuman powers but my therapist took them away
VTgirls_ husband

The sewing genius behind vt girl

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006 10:26:13 AM »

The wife just told me that the link I posted might not work for people not logged in to that forum??  I guess I never realized that you have to have an account to even visit the forum.  I'll try to copy a list...
Not pretty but full of info.  There is a comment on buying a pattern in Europe..  Green Pepper make a patern available in the states.

Go to the usual sources (OWF, quest, seattlefabrics, ect) There are patterns available. I made my wife a pair of mini-gators just by using breathable fabric, elastic and a zipper. The hooks are picture hangers. If you are not looking for a fitted gaiter than its just a rectangle with attachments. Figuring out exactly where the attachemnts go and how big a rectangle is up to you.
TB

Since you live i Europe this is the best source:
Pattern(if you need one):
http://www.shelby.fi/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=142
Fabric:
http://www.shelby.fi/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22_28&products_id=43
or a lighter version:
http://www.shelby.fi/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22_28&products_id=88
this would also work fine:
http://www.shelby.fi/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22_37&products_id=215

Perheps some reinforcments is needed to protect them from skis and crampons.
http://www.shelby.fi/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22_29&products_id=162
or even hevier:
http://www.shelby.fi/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22_29&products_id=34

Of course similar fabrics are available at most fabric retailers.
Buying a pattern is perhaps a little overkill when making gaiters. Just look at some commercial ones and you'll figure it out by yourself.

/Thomas J

thanks all,

thomas, yeap i could buy a pattern from shelby.fi but i want to do this for free... i have some various types of materia that might be suitable.

i will just have to walk over to the local hiking store and see what a real gaitor looks like.

as for materail. this being hungary there is very little of such material avalaible.. but i know one source hsould the stuff i have not work

robi

Thanks for the idea about using picture hangers for the gaiters! Brilliant, and so easy.

Gaiters are simple. Remember KISS. Keep it simple superlight.
Put on your hiking gear including the insulating and outer layers.
Measure your lower legs circumfrence on each leg at approximately where
the gaiters will ride on the shin, and at the boot. Record these.
Choose a lightweight material on the outside pattern that will repel moisture,
and preferably one that will breathe, although this is not as crucial as its
ability to repel moisture on the outside. Add three to four inches of width to
your circumfrence measurements and keep the length. I like Gortex but Nylon
will do If You want to go as light as possible. Make another pattern of and inside
liner,ie merino wool or silk, perhaps fleece. This is for the inside. Make it a light
single layer stitched together. Use Velcro straps or other type of hooks that
can attach and detach quicky and stitch to Gaiters. Avoid straps and elastic
type stretch bands that are difficult to remove and may impinge circulation.
Ta Da Gaiters du jour! Experiment with light materials. I use thin tafetta nylon
with a waterproofing for nylon tents. Inside I use lightweight asian single spun silk.
It keeps me dry and is light. I use my hiking cloths under for warmth rather
than the inside layer. The velcro fit is key to shedding the snow.
Good Luck!

--------------------
ljq782

i made a simple pair, no liners, just my silny... they work fine with my boots,

i wore them twice in the rain on my bike, they are not good ther... they do not cover the toes of my sports shoes meaning my socks are soaked within 20 minutes... but this is good because now i have a reason to buy more material an dmake a new pair!

robi

The very easiest way to make gaiters:
Sew a tube of fabric, large enough to fit over your lower leg and all the layers you might have on there, with a little room to spare. Cut it long enough to reach from your arch to just below the knee, plus about 3". At each end, sew a tunnel for elastic or shock cord. At one end, which will become the bottom, insert two grommets, each side, and run some nylon cord through the grommets and under your foot. You can adjust the length of the cord to suit. The cord won't last long, but it's very easy to replace. You can get Kevlar cord if you want it to last longer. If you want to be able to put the gaiters on without taking off your boots/shoes, just make the tube large enough, by trial and error, to fit over. these are not only the easiest, but the mostt reliable gaiters you can make - no zippers, no velcro to fail or wear out.

If that doesn't work its a great site if you want to make outdoor equipment, sign up for an account.  Its mostly men, a few women and a few men who have their wives sew for them (loosers).  Not excatly crafty but cool.
Scott
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I had superhuman powers but my therapist took them away
onecraftybitch
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006 12:34:13 PM »

Thanks to you both!

I will have to check out the forum and look for a pattern as well. I need a pair to go with my hiking boots and want a pair to use for Halloween.

I'll be on the look out for good fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bootsntights
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008 11:54:21 PM »

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=52244.msg824464#msg824464
This is a post from a set of halloween costumes I did. It was impossible to find knee high purple boots for a 6 year old girl, so I used some black boots she already had, covering them with same material as the costume. I just took some fairly stretchy fabric, traced either side of the boot, cut out the shapes, and thumb tacked either side to the sole of the boot the wrong way (leave about 1/2 -1 inch to fold for a clean line around base. I pinned the fabric taut around the boot, untacked, and then stitched along the pins (it helps to trace with a washable mark when pinned around boot to ensure proper shape when stitching.) Flip right side out, slide back over boot, and re-tack to sole. I left about 4 inches of fabric at the top to fold over and into the boot tops.
This method left the boots totally reusable with only slight holes left on soles.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jericho
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008 12:53:59 PM »

It's quite a bit past Halloween, but for future reference (next Halloween maybe?) I'm posting something I found on etsy.com--spats. I made something similar to go with my last Halloween costume...pleather knee-high spats over heels I already own was much cheaper than buying a new pair of shoes, and it was cute n' sexy addition to my pirate costume!

http://www.etsy.com/search_results.php?search_type=tag_title&search_query=spats
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's your mom!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Susan RoAne Reveals Where She Would Like to Be
Colette Livermore Talks About Hope Endures
Tori Spelling Talks About Being a Mother in The Public Eye
Amelia Rules Book Trailer
Liz Funk Reveals Who She Admires Most
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...